What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Nemo

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by Nemo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:19 am

Chinese Billionaire Donates 1M Masks & 500K Coronavirus Test Kits To U.S.

Jack Ma Foundation: Through a donation of 500,000 testing kits and 1 million masks, we join hands with Americans in these difficult times.

https://www.scarymommy.com/jack-ma-dona ... Y0tx7CnU_s

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:44 am

Meanwhile, McConnell sent the senate home for the weekend without voting on the ncovid-19 response funding bill because, he says, it didn’t contain language he wanted preventing federal funding being used for abortions, and he was concerned that this was a sneaky democrat attempt to create more money to kill babies.

You can’t make this stuff up.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:51 pm

I'm very happy with the level of urgency in my locality. Once the PM's wife came down with it things started moving in a proper fashion. I did catch a bug running all my errands and enjoying my favourite restaurants last week though. I thought it was nothing but last night my SPO2 dropped to 93% and then with compensatory hypotension BP went down to 117 over 70. I felt a bit dizzy. I was an elite athlete and recently was doing scuba so losing some SPO2 wasn't critical. I didn't feel particularly sick. This may be like dengue where you can be chatting with the person right until they drop dead from lack of oxygen. Not the worst way to go. Pretty traumatizing to those you are chatting with though.

Luckily I can stay in isolation and contact local public health officials to see if they want to do testing.

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Venturing out from my cave in So. Cal. to pick up a squeeze bottle of saline nasal wash. Gadzooks - how the grocery was mobbed - so went to CVS pharmacy - shelf was empty of what I thought was a little known health practice - saline nasal daily squirt. Damn these old hippies around here (like me) who are all health nuts.

All schools from toddlers to college are now closed for a few or several weeks. No theme parks, no sports, no edifying gatherings, even all wild parties are kaput.

Going to be an interesting summer for students of sociology!
May all seek, find or follow the Path of Buddhas.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Upsetting for sure, but here's something to consider from history. In 1918 during the Spanish Flu officials ignored the danger of allowing large gatherings and went ahead with a parade in Philadelphia.

“If the people are careless, thousands of cases may develop and the epidemic may get beyond control,” the city’s health commissioner, Wilmer Krusen, said in the 1918 article, according to the Philly Voice.

He was the same person who, just a day earlier, allowed to go forward what is now known as the deadliest parade in American history. In doing so, he ignored the advice of medical professionals who urged him to cancel the parade or risk an epidemic.

Within three days, every bed in the city’s 31 hospitals was filled. There were thousands of influenza patients.
Within a week of the parade, more than 45,000 people in Philadelphia were infected with influenza, as the entire city, from schools to pool halls, ground to a halt, according to Wirth.

Within six weeks, more than 12,000 Philadelphians were dead.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ronavirus/

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:48 pm

I’m making an effort, trying hard to not put my fingers in other people’s mouths, especially if I don’t know them or haven’t washed my hands.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:48 pm
I’m making an effort, trying hard to not put my fingers in other people’s mouths, especially if I don’t know them or haven’t washed my hands.
Glad to hear that. :tongue:

There are many cultures that greet each other with 1, sometimes 4 kisses on the cheeks, near the mouth or even on the mouth. Hopefully, members of those cultures will adjust their greetings.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:02 pm

Perhaps helpful news

https://www.elsevier.com/about/press-re ... oronavirus

Recent research points the way toward a practical nutraceutical strategy for coping with RNA virus infections including influenza and coronavirus
Both influenza and coronavirus cause an inflammatory storm in the lungs and it is this inflammatory storm that leads to acute respiratory distress, organ failure, and death. Certain nutraceuticals may help to reduce the inflammation in the lungs from RNA viruses and others may also help boost type 1 interferon response to these viruses, which is the body’s primary way to help create antiviral antibodies to fight off viral infections.

The authors draw attention to several randomized clinical studies in humans that have found that over the counter supplements such as n-acetylcysteine (NAC), which is used to treat acetaminophen poisoning and is also used as a mucus thinner to help reduce bronchitis exacerbations, and elderberry extracts, have evidence for shortening the duration of influenza by about two to four days and reducing the severity of the infection. The authors also note several nutraceuticals such as spirulina, beta-glucan, glucosamine, and NAC have either been found to reduce the severity of infection or to cut the rate of death in half in animals infected with influenza. Furthermore, one clinical study in humans testing spirulina noted significant reductions in viral load in those infected with HIV.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:25 am

DNS wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:48 pm
Glad to hear that. :tongue:

There are many cultures that greet each other with 1, sometimes 4 kisses on the cheeks, near the mouth or even on the mouth. Hopefully, members of those cultures will adjust their greetings.
We're thinking about it -

handshake-alternatives.jpg
handshake-alternatives.jpg (63.99 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
- and thinking about it now will help a lot when infection levels are high enough to make it essential. Habits are hard to break!

:namaste:
Kim

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:57 am

Tip of the hat + a little jig is going to be my go-to.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Misty

Post by Misty » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:41 am

A few more :smile:

Misty

Post by Misty » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:17 am

I guess we will be creating new normals.
Stay safe

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:15 pm

Avaaz is sharing something a little more useful than thoughts and prayers -
Coronavirus: Let's rise to it
Join the pledge to help slow down coronavirus:
... 316,481 have pledged. Let's get to 500,000

THE PEOPLE’S PLEDGE:
"We pledge to help bring humanity together in a common purpose to slow the spread of this virus enough to allow hospitals to cope and a vaccine to be developed, and to strive to ensure that this crisis brings out the best in us. To each do our part, we pledge to:

🏠 STOP THE VIRUS at our doorstep -- by washing our hands regularly, avoiding unnecessary close contact with others, staying home when we feel unwell and seeking medical advice early.

👵PROTECT THE VULNERABLE - by offering love and assistance to those who need it most, and supporting humane policies to keep them safe.

💬SPREAD WISDOM - by sharing reliable, factual information with friends and family, and countering voices of fear and demonization with love and connection."
:reading: https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/co ... ponse_loc/

Kim

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:33 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:57 am
Tip of the hat + a little jig is going to be my go-to.
:jumping:

Virgo

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:05 pm

No surprise here:

President Trump reportedly tried to poach German scientists working on a cure for coronavirus and offered cash so the vaccine would be exclusive to the USA:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-a ... zxVhgeF_jk

Virgo :namaste:
Last edited by Virgo on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:09 pm

People who fully recover from the coronavirus can be left with '20 to 30%' less lung function, and gasping for breath when they walk quickly, Hong Kong doctors find:

"People who recover from the novel coronavirus can still be left with substantially weakened lung capacity, with some left gasping for air when walking quickly, doctors in Hong Kong have found."

https://news.yahoo.com/people-fully-rec ... 17303.html

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:14 pm

Singapore Wins Praise For Its COVID-19 Strategy. The U.S. Does Not
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... s-does-not

What We Can Learn From Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong About Handling Coronavirus
https://time.com/5802293/coronavirus-co ... ng-taiwan/

What the US can learn from Singapore's coronavirus strategy
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/13/opin ... index.html

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:45 pm

Virgo wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:09 pm
People who fully recover from the coronavirus can be left with '20 to 30%' less lung function, and gasping for breath when they walk quickly, Hong Kong doctors find:

"People who recover from the novel coronavirus can still be left with substantially weakened lung capacity, with some left gasping for air when walking quickly, doctors in Hong Kong have found."

https://news.yahoo.com/people-fully-rec ... 17303.html

Yes. And these survivors might develop lung fibrosis within a year. Really ugly.

tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:13 am

A most interesting interview with the chief pulmonologist of Russia:
http://thesaker.is/how-to-treat-coronav ... -covid-19/

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:15 am

tatpurusa wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:45 pm
Really ugly.
Indeed.

Virgo

Return to “Lounge”