What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Virgo
Former staff member

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by Virgo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:10 pm
Virgo wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:58 pm
According to the WHO advil and other ibuprofin may be an aggravting factor in COVID-19:

https://news.yahoo.com/avoid-taking-ibu ... 07508.html

Just a note: there doesn't seem to be any concrete explanation at the moment as to why this may be the case, but this does come form health officials.

Virgo
It is fairly well known that non-steroidal anti-inflammatories mildly compromise the immune response.
That's good to know. I usually take advil for migraines.

Virgo

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Dad, mom, step-mom, close friend are immunocompromised.
Having a vaping habit, I'm thinking this is a good time to quit with the respiratory connection.
The added stress of chaotic work hours and the lockdown are making it an interesting time to abandon sense pleasures.

I've been thinking this is an ideal time to rediscover books, to try making art or music, to learn to cook, to start yoga or exercise... to overcome whatever intimidation/boredom there is in taking up one's Dharma practice every waking hour of the day.

Luckily, we can still go outside here for exercise, even as we likely enter lockdown today.
I plan on moving a fir tree to a spot where it can grow as tall as it likes.
It seems like a hopeful thing to do right now.
If anyone knows a good tree blessing mantra or dharani, PM me :smile:

I've been playing piano with the windows open to try to cheer the streets up a bit.
About 15 people from our neighborhood started a big text chain. It's the first time learning most of their names for me (lived here 6 years). They're offering mutual support and supplies.

The stores have been crazy with people panic buying in waves. We have a month of silken tofu ready to thaw, and a relatively minimal mostly vegan diet already.

I'm worried also for all the small businesses, cafes, bookshops, barbers, and so on, who are set to lose months of income. I'm a small business owner myself and haven't avoided the impact.

As far as the question goes, I've stopped holding/using my mala.
I realize it helped me quite a bit to remember to practice. So there's an adjustment there.
I may try cleaning it thoroughly and using it less often, only after washing my hands. Any other mala/juzu users here having to adjust?
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally give rise to the Three Minds and the Four Modes of Practice. -- Master Hōnen

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:41 pm

I'm finally gonna start gardening now. I'm fortunate to live right near an organic farm that has a ton of seeds and equipment to get started.

Doing our first group puja on Zoom on Saturday with my Dharma center. I'm orchestrating the Zoom end so there may be a learning curve...

Also home schooling/watching my kids, and that is driving me crazy, can't imagine months of this, thought I was done hanging out with them all day. :?

明安 Myoan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:08 pm

I realize it helped me quite a bit to remember to practice. So there's an adjustment there.
I may try cleaning it thoroughly and using it less often, only after washing my hands. Any other mala/juzu users here having to adjust?

Why would you stop using your mala? Unless you are for some reason passing it through large groups of possibly infected people, what would be the issue with a mala? It's not like Corona virus is randomly floating around in the air everywhere you go, if you are practice social distancing and your mala is not in the proximity of a bunch of strangers it's a total non-issue AFAIK.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 pm

淨空和尚已經94歲了德高望重。
他老人家說還會更嚴重,要到5月份才會將疫情控制住。
其實大家心裡都有數,現在只是剛開始還會更嚴重。
老和尚說"觀世音菩薩指示:
1) 出門放一塊薑在口袋裡
2) 並每天早晨用幾片薑沖熱開水喝。
反正也花不到什麼錢, 既然是菩薩指示就照做。
不要加糖,就沖熱水直接喝。
中國最大的薑生產基地是山東省萊蕪市。
目前整個山東唯一零病例的城市就是萊蕪市。
有可能新冠狀病毒不喜薑的味道,或者薑裏面含有成分是新冠狀病毒不喜歡的。
请分享给大家,让我们大家共同保护世界🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Monk Chin Kung is now 94 years old and highly respected.
He said the situation would be even worse, and the epidemic would not be brought under control until May. Everyone knows it, but it only gets worse in the beginning.
The old monk said, according to the instructions of the Guanyin Bodhisattva:
1) Put a piece of ginger in our pocket when we go out.
2) Drink ginger water every morning, just hot water with several slices of ginger and drink it.
In any case, it does not cost much money,
Since this is the instruction of the Bodhisattva, we will do it.
Don't add sugar, just drink it with hot water.
The largest ginger production base in China is Laiwu City, Shandong Province.
Currently, the only zero case city in Shandong is Laiwu.
New coronavirus may not like the taste of ginger, or ginger contains ingredients that the new coronavirus does not like.

Please share to everyone, let's we all do our part to protect each other in the world🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:37 pm

JD --
Honen Shonin suggests holding the juzu at all times.
I figured if I have to wash my hands more, probably my cell phone and juzu need cleaning, too.
I'm thinking home use only.

Good luck with the Zoom service! Make sure to mute everybody :smile:
Rinkaian Temple has been doing Zoom Jodo Shu services once a month for overseas members.
Having gone without a weekly service for years, an online service makes a big difference.
:thumbsup:
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally give rise to the Three Minds and the Four Modes of Practice. -- Master Hōnen

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:06 pm

明安 Myoan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:37 pm
JD --
Honen Shonin suggests holding the juzu at all times.
I figured if I have to wash my hands more, probably my cell phone and juzu need cleaning, too.
I'm thinking home use only.

Good luck with the Zoom service! Make sure to mute everybody :smile:
Rinkaian Temple has been doing Zoom Jodo Shu services once a month for overseas members.
Having gone without a weekly service for years, an online service makes a big difference.
:thumbsup:
Ah ok I get it, yeah if you are carrying it around everywhere that makes sense.

I've done a couple Dharma things through Zoom, but so far mostly Q&A sessions and talks...this will be the first time we've done a puja through it. But boy if there were ever a time I need my practice truly...this is it. Didn't realize what a big deal [practicing others was to me until it was gone. I've done the same sadhana with the same five people every week for 8 years now.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Some positive news. In Czech Republic people are sewing their own face masks (since the government failed us) and we do wait in lines with one to two meters of space from each other. And we also have many volunteers helping elderly and sick to do their shopping and other things. I just got two face masks mady by my boyfriend's mother. And many people manage to make quite a huge amount of them each day. So, that is something to rejoice in. Also our toilet paper is safe and gun shops are clsoed.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:05 pm

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:26 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 pm
淨空和尚已經94歲了德高望重。
他老人家說還會更嚴重,要到5月份才會將疫情控制住。
其實大家心裡都有數,現在只是剛開始還會更嚴重。
老和尚說"觀世音菩薩指示:
1) 出門放一塊薑在口袋裡
2) 並每天早晨用幾片薑沖熱開水喝。
反正也花不到什麼錢, 既然是菩薩指示就照做。
不要加糖,就沖熱水直接喝。
中國最大的薑生產基地是山東省萊蕪市。
目前整個山東唯一零病例的城市就是萊蕪市。
有可能新冠狀病毒不喜薑的味道,或者薑裏面含有成分是新冠狀病毒不喜歡的。
请分享给大家,让我们大家共同保护世界🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Monk Chin Kung is now 94 years old and highly respected.
He said the situation would be even worse, and the epidemic would not be brought under control until May. Everyone knows it, but it only gets worse in the beginning.
The old monk said, according to the instructions of the Guanyin Bodhisattva:
1) Put a piece of ginger in our pocket when we go out.
2) Drink ginger water every morning, just hot water with several slices of ginger and drink it.
In any case, it does not cost much money,
Since this is the instruction of the Bodhisattva, we will do it.
Don't add sugar, just drink it with hot water.
The largest ginger production base in China is Laiwu City, Shandong Province.
Currently, the only zero case city in Shandong is Laiwu.
New coronavirus may not like the taste of ginger, or ginger contains ingredients that the new coronavirus does not like.

Please share to everyone, let's we all do our part to protect each other in the world🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Sadly this is fake news. Laiwu's only real industry is a mega-polluting steel mill. It has minimal agriculture nearby, and could generously be described as a dump.

There are other things that are said about Jing Kong but I won't repeat them here.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:45 am

There are other things that are said about Jing Kong but I won't repeat them here.
Please go ahead and say it, I mean if you aren’t going to say it, then why even say that ? Right?

Fortyeightvows

any importers or forwarders on here?

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:32 am

I got ginger and masks way back when this started. Enjoying the ginger and so far so good, no virus.

Are there any importers or forwarders on here?

How are you doing?

if the importers warehouse closes... Will the carrier extend the LFD? Thats what I really want to know.
If not will the govt aid cover demurage/detention?

Houston port got closed today but they say they will open up tomorrow.
Don't quote me, but I'm guessing they may close again.
WHL is closing their office I think.
Smart thing was to have already started just using seaway bills and telex.

AMZ-FBA people, LA CFS is open for now... I think ONT8 isn't taking anymore deliveries...?

Air freight from shenzen is tight. ~5.00/kg

Seriously though, if there are any importers, brokers or forwarders, on here, I'd love to hear a dharmawheelers perspective.
:cheers:

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:24 am

This site has alot of people on it. For anyone who may have the virus or is in quarantine, how are you?

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:33 am

Not in quarantine, but I'm in Washington and it's crazy. Streets are deserted like so many places now...it's a new reality, that's for sure. At least in my town, everyone but a few millennials seem to be following the protocols. I personally expect I will may get the virus at some point, and my family and I will be quarantined.

-James Low

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:51 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:45 am
Please go ahead and say it, I mean if you aren’t going to say it, then why even say that ? Right?
You described him as 'highly respected', that's by no means a universal opinion. That's all I'll say, people have to do their own research before accepting the opinions of teachers they don't know personally.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:02 am

PeterC wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:51 am
Fortyeightvows wrote:
You described him as 'highly respected', that's by no means a universal opinion. That's all I'll say, people have to do their own research before accepting the opinions of teachers they don't know personally.
I just shared it. but I believe the part about the ginger and anyways it's good.

He was smart and got into the radio and tv and all that pretty early. I haven't met him myself, but I've met many of his students as I'm sure you have. Look at how much they are cited here on this site even. I'd bet that at least 50% of the regular dharmawheels on this site have one of their books on their shelf. maybe probably you do to, they supply the texts to soooo many places
But you say 'That's all I'll say'- cool, me too.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:08 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:02 am
PeterC wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:51 am
Fortyeightvows wrote:

I just shared it. but I believe the part about the ginger and anyways it's good.

He was smart and got into the radio and tv and all that pretty early. I haven't met him myself, but I've met many of his students as I'm sure you have. Look at how much they are cited here on this site even. I'd bet that at least 50% of the regular dharmawheels on this site have one of their books on their shelf. maybe probably you do to, they supply the texts to soooo many places
But you say 'That's all I'll say'- cool, me too.
Look, I understand where you’re coming from. It’s almost always best not to express opinions about teachers. He is a polarizing figure, but he’s also responsible for being the dharma to a *lot* of people. So perhaps we leave it at that.

However I doubt very much that he said that about Laiwu. Calling the place a dump is generous. I’ve been there.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:08 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:33 am
Not in quarantine, but I'm in Washington and it's crazy. Streets are deserted like so many places now...it's a new reality, that's for sure. At least in my town, everyone but a few millennials seem to be following the protocols. I personally expect I will may get the virus at some point, and my family and I will be quarantined.
Predictions are that most people, i.e. more than 50%, will get the virus eventually. What we're doing now is "flattening the curve", i.e. slowing the spread so that 50% or more will get it over months instead of weeks and the hospital system has some chance of keeping up with our needs.

That said, I'm in a relatively isolated provincial city in a relatively sparsely populated country. We know of two or three cases in the city, brought in from overseas, but the main effect is that everything is shutting down - public events cancelled or postponed, private parties ditto, university moving to online delivery of as many subjects as possible (still some real-life prac classes). Schools are still open but a lot of parents are keeping their kids at home. Boomers are being bullied by their kids into staying home too. :tongue:
Panic buying (totally unnecessary!) has emptied shelves in supermarkets. Face-masks? No-one except health professionals are using them, because we have no need yet.
Our federal government has just closed the borders, and some states are imposing quarantines on interstate travellers.

I'm spending far too much time on facebook :emb: but other than that, all okay so far.

Kim

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:08 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:33 am
Predictions are that most people, i.e. more than 50%, will get the virus eventually. What we're doing now is "flattening the curve", i.e. slowing the spread so that 50% or more will get it over months instead of weeks and the hospital system has some chance of keeping up with our needs.

That said, I'm in a relatively isolated provincial city in a relatively sparsely populated country. We know of two or three cases in the city, brought in from overseas, but the main effect is that everything is shutting down - public events cancelled or postponed, private parties ditto, university moving to online delivery of as many subjects as possible (still some real-life prac classes). Schools are still open but a lot of parents are keeping their kids at home. Boomers are being bullied by their kids into staying home too. :tongue:
Panic buying (totally unnecessary!) has emptied shelves in supermarkets. Face-masks? No-one except health professionals are using them, because we have no need yet.
Our federal government has just closed the borders, and some states are imposing quarantines on interstate travellers.

I'm spending far too much time on facebook :emb: but other than that, all okay so far.

Kim
50% won't even know they have it. It's a harmless flu, until the moment it's not. I was an elite athlete and still scuba dive. I've never seen my SPO2 under 96(doing anaerobic cardio) in 15 years. It's usually 98 or 99. It was low for days. The creepy part is how relaxed I felt. Then I had the compensatory blood pressure drop. And then it was over. 5% less SPO2 or 15 points on my diastolic and that would have been messy. Doing some cardio in isolation would be a good idea. If you can still order a pulse oximeter they are very useful.

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:16 pm

I had to fly this week. It was only an hour and a half domestic flight, but there were quite few obvious tourists on it. Who knows where they just arrived from? So I am self-isolating for the next couple of weeks.

Everything is cancelled. Restaurants are closed for everything except take-out. Theatres are closed. I was supposed to do lights for a play coming up in June, but it likely will not open. Most people are being sensible about the restrictions.

On mani padme hum
Kathy

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:53 pm

There is an outbreak online of people imagining that they have it....not surprisingly. I have had it several times already in my mind.
The phenomenon has been dubbed “cyberchondria”. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Lounge”