What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Virgo
Former staff member

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by Virgo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:46 pm
Sādhaka wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Then why are they, including Trump, trying to shut down people’s livelihood so aggressively?
People are dying, and going to die, in large numbers.
Yes, perhaps Sādhaka you should watch some news from other nations which are ahead of your country:

There is no conspiracy theory. Stay safe.

Virgo
Last edited by Virgo on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm

In just one day, Italy experienced 627 deaths. There's no conspiracy theory about that. It's very real, and very sad:

(Edit: As I go to read the news, I can see that in the past day, Italy has had 793 deaths due to COVID-19. In total 4825 deaths in Italy alone.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -time.html
The doctor told Italian newspaper Il Giornale: 'You know what's most dramatic?

'Seeing patients dying alone, listening to them as they beg you to say goodbye to their children and grandchildren.'

She added: 'They are lucid, they do not go into narcolepsy. It is as if they were drowning, but with time to understand it.

'When they are about to die, they sense it'.

And describing the moment where she did her best to help the critically ill grandmother, she said: 'I pulled out the phone and called her on video.

'They said goodbye. Soon after she was gone.'

The doctor added that she now has a long 'farewell' list of similar calls which she has helped patients to make.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2163ML
Watching patients die alone breaks doctors' hearts in provincial Italy hospital
CREMONA, Italy (Reuters) - Doctor Romano Paolucci, who came out of retirement to help at a hospital in Italy’s coronavirus epicenter, says one of the hardest things for him is not so much seeing people die - he is used to that.

It is seeing them die alone, without a loved one by their side, often having to say their final farewell over a scratchy cell phone line.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/ ... 19279.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/worl ... erals.html
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... virus-dead
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:41 pm

Still think it's a conspiracy theory Sādhaka?

Virgo

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Virgo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:41 pm

Virgo
Math is hard. When multiple countries are losing over 1000 a day he should wake up. Yesterday Italy lost 793 to Covid 19. To put that in perspective on average they lost 28 a day to the flu. Now all other medical interventions are suspended for things like heart disease, cancer, kidney disease, diabetes, etc. So in 3 months medical complications from untreated conditions will start killing thousands as well. Then financial stress and panic will exacerbate anxiety and mental health issues leading to a huge spike in suicides and domestic violence. All told in Italy alone the carnage and suffering will be beyond any humans ability to fully comprehend.

Still think it's just a flu?

smcj

Post by smcj » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:38 pm

The nurse said their instructions are to NOT intubate anybody over 70 years old.

“Boomer Remover” indeed. Ouch.

p.s. My MD friend says in Italy it will be 60 years as the cutoff very soon. Ouch.

I guess the US version will be whether or not they have insurance.
Last edited by smcj on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:07 pm

hey! don't forget about the lucky few (1928 to 1945). One of my elderly neighbors is ex SAS and has the luck of the irish (unironically)

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Nemo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:27 pm
Virgo wrote:

Virgo
Math is hard. When multiple countries are losing over 1000 a day he should wake up. Yesterday Italy lost 793 to Covid 19. To put that in perspective on average they lost 28 a day to the flu. Now all other medical interventions are suspended for things like heart disease, cancer, kidney disease, diabetes, etc. So in 3 months medical complications from untreated conditions will start killing thousands as well. Then financial stress and panic will exacerbate anxiety and mental health issues leading to a huge spike in suicides and domestic violence. All told in Italy alone the carnage and suffering will be beyond any humans ability to fully comprehend.

Some people believe it's a conspiracy no matter what. It's comforting to them. The actual situation is so heartbreaking, it's just a kind of escapism..just like going and playing a video game. Only in this case you get to blame people colluding with China etc., so there's the aspect of scapegoating the average Joe too. Once someone they know dies, maybe then the conspiracy stuff starts to take a backseat..but maybe not even then, it's not a rational thing, just an impulse built up into an ideology.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:18 pm

If people would have listened to Dr Li back in January, this would even be a thing right now.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:36 pm

Nemo wrote:
Virgo wrote:

Virgo
Math is hard. When multiple countries are losing over 1000 a day he should wake up.
I have confidence that he will. He is probably just conditioned by FOX news, who by the way are now completely changing their tune. It seems this is not a hoax created by the Democrats anymore. Or he may be influenced by even more troubling right wing sources.
Nemo wrote:

Yesterday Italy lost 793 to Covid 19. To put that in perspective on average they lost 28 a day to the flu. Now all other medical interventions are suspended for things like heart disease, cancer, kidney disease, diabetes, etc.
Yes, it is terrible.
Nemo wrote:
Then financial stress and panic will exacerbate anxiety and mental health issues leading to a huge spike in suicides and domestic violence. All told in Italy alone the carnage and suffering will be beyond any humans ability to fully comprehend.

Yes, I am very worried about these things as well. :namaste:

Virgo

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 pm

"WARNING: Contains disturbing scenes of critically ill people being treated for COVID-19"

Worth watching.
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.

Pero

Post by Pero » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:40 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Sādhaka wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Right, Norwegian.

Then why are they, including Trump, trying to shut down people’s livelihood so aggressively?

“Conspiracy theorist” as I may be; I do sometimes wonder if the ‘sheople’ need to be herded at times....

What’s going on here though?
What's going on? It's about slowing down the infection rate of the population, since hospitals can't take countless people at once. But can better deal with many patients spread over time. That's all this is about. It's very easy to understand, without needing to be a paranoid conspiracy theorist.
While I don't think there's a conspiracy regarding the virus... "The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets." During this situation the rich will get richer and the poor poorer.

There are also other very real dangers that come with more power given to the government. Over here the measures taken by the governement (that just came into power) in the past two weeks are eerily similar to a coup and a sliding into dictatorship. In the best case scenario they will have "only" stolen some money by the time the crisis is over (already "lost" 10 million €).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:01 am

Pero wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:40 pm
There are also other very real dangers that come with more power given to the government. Over here the measures taken by the governement (that just came into power) in the past two weeks are eerily similar to a coup and a sliding into dictatorship. In the best case scenario they will have "only" stolen some money by the time the crisis is over (already "lost" 10 million €).
Norwegian government have been in talks with parliament basically every day, all parties are working together (in and out of government) to come up with the best possible plan to handle this disaster. And first government suggested a crisis law to be installed for 1 year. Next it was argued that it would last for six months. Now the agreed upon duration is one month.

I think it's certainly possible for some countries to abuse this situation, but many countries will not. We've had lots of debate in media regarding this, and no matter what party affiliation of people, the thought is to not cross any lines.
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:53 am

https://www.india.com/news/india/janata ... t-3977233/

That’s another billion people on lockdown. Even a couple of days ago senior political and business figures in India were claiming this wasn’t an issue for them.

It’s understandable that some people in places like Western Europe and the US will get upset about the idea of strict government monitoring of peoples’ activities. For some countries in Europe there are good historical reasons for that (though Israel recognized the need for it very quickly), in the US there will be a bit more of the “but my constitutionally protected freedums” verbiage. But at the end of the day there are issues where governments need to make tradeoffs between the rights of the individual and the community. Anyone who can’t see that this is one of those situations hasn’t been paying attention.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 am

I have had a long hard think overnight and l am going to extend my self isolation to things online in order to concentrate on practice.
Wishing you all well, and may all beings find peace.
I am going to log off now, and hope to log on again in the Autumn when the world is likely to be quite changed.

:namaste:
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 am
I have had a long hard think overnight and l am going to extend my self isolation to things online in order to concentrate on practice.
I am going to log off now, and hope to log on again in the Autumn when the world is likely to be quite changed.

I will miss your measured and thoughtful responses. Have a good retreat.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Simon E. wrote:

You'll be bored. See you in a few days (hours).

Good luck!
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Nemo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:16 pm
Simon E. wrote:

I will miss your measured and thoughtful responses. Have a good retreat.
Same. Enjoy your retreat, Simon. And don't be shy to check in and post here or there in between sessions. I am sure you will get bored. :namaste:

Virgo

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Senator Rand Paul (KY) tests positive for Covid-19.

justsit

Post by justsit » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Simon E. wrote:

[music playing in the background..."you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave..."]

Will miss your snark.
Jolly good luck!

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:43 pm

DNS wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:49 pm
Senator Rand Paul (KY) tests positive for Covid-19.
I don't like the fellow, but I hope he does not have any comorbidity which can cause complications, etc.

Return to “Lounge”