What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Virgo
Former staff member

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by Virgo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 am

Coronavirus Traces Lingered in Vacated Cruise Cabins for 17 Days:

Traces of new coronavirus were found on surfaces in cruise-ship cabins for as many as 17 days after passengers left, researchers said, though it wasn’t possible to determine whether they caused any infections.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... or-17-days

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:13 am

AN 5.78: Anagata-bhayani Sutta — The Discourse on Future Dangers (2)

This sutta advises reflecting on the dangers of aging, illness, famine, social unrest, and a split in the Saṅgha as a goad to practice.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

tobes

Post by tobes » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:19 am

I'm very worried about the US. I actually cannot believe the 'debate' that is taking place there. Most other places are unifying across party lines. America looks like it's playing the crisis directly into its ever deepening schism.

I can see why this thread has been a bit heated at times; it's going to be an epic level disaster. My thoughts and prayers are with all of our American brothers and sisters. :anjali:

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:50 am

tobes wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:19 am
I'm very worried about the US. I actually cannot believe the 'debate' that is taking place there. Most other places are unifying across party lines. America looks like it's playing the crisis directly into its ever deepening schism.

I can see why this thread has been a bit heated at times; it's going to be an epic level disaster. My thoughts and prayers are with all of our American brothers and sisters. :anjali:
I found Trump's pronouncements about saving the economy for billionaires very comforting.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:06 pm

tobes wrote:

Even with the most individual-friendly version of the bill, a lot of people are going to suffer. The only good that might come out of this would be a serious reappraisal of how the US has failed its people. Might. From the new data that's emerged in the past week, it's clear that the spread of hte epidemic is beyond the point where it can really be controlled.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:17 pm

PeterC wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:06 pm
tobes wrote:

Even with the most individual-friendly version of the bill, a lot of people are going to suffer. The only good that might come out of this would be a serious reappraisal of how the US has failed its people. Might. From the new data that's emerged in the past week, it's clear that the spread of hte epidemic is beyond the point where it can really be controlled.
New York State is incredibly bad. It would actually be easier to achieve herd immunity than containment at this point. This must be really traumatizing. After the army stuff like this is pretty normal. You are going to be tempted to count all the dead, but you won't be able to do it. China was smart enough to pretend that they ended all infections. Declaring victory and quietly burying the uncounted dead. The so called deep state will have to look after this problem. They will start spinning the narrative full blast on all channels soon. Self preservation is the only thing they are good at.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Nemo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:17 pm
PeterC wrote:
tobes wrote:

New York State is incredibly bad. It would actually be easier to achieve herd immunity than containment at this point. This must be really traumatizing. After the army stuff like this is pretty normal. You are going to be tempted to count all the dead, but you won't be able to do it. China was smart enough to pretend that they ended all infections. Declaring victory and quietly burying the uncounted dead. The so called deep state will have to look after this problem. They will start spinning the narrative full blast on all channels soon. Self preservation is the only thing they are good at.
I’m not sure the US is that capable at covering things up. The reason we know so much about the sketchy things the US does is precisely because it is so bad at keeping things secret. The turning point in this affair, I think, will be when someone starts asking exactly how many people have died up to this point. Think about that for a minute.

I wouldn’t be so sure that the numbers from China are very wrong. Obviously there are uncounted cases when people went into lockdown, got sick and recovered before being tested. But there are ways to independently validate the official numbers and they don’t look too far off.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Danish Institute of Public Health reports that one can reduce the infection rate with 30-50% by following the kind of rules they've implemented, which is social distancing, isolation, quarantine, strict hygiene, and so on. In north Norway a large number of municipalities have implemented stricter rules than what the government put in place, thus if you come from south to north, you have to go into automatic 14-day quarantine. So far the numbers are very low in the north.

With regards to what Norway and Denmark are doing as a whole (similar to what some other European countries are doing), it's recommended to keep this up at least through spring. The effects are showing and hospitals have a better chance at doing their jobs, though it's nowhere near the end.

Toxic Trump on the other hand wants everything to go back to normal as soon as possible, and the right-wingers would much rather just let old people die "because it costs less money".

"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Nemo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:50 am
I found Trump's pronouncements about saving the economy for billionaires very comforting.
:rolling:
Virgo

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:01 pm

tobes wrote:

Epic is right. Thank you. :namaste:

Virgo
Last edited by Virgo on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm

Nemo wrote:
PeterC wrote:
tobes wrote:

New York State is incredibly bad. It would actually be easier to achieve herd immunity than containment at this point. T
I am not sure that's actually a thing. And if it is, it would mean that the whole world would have to go with 'herd immunity' unless they want to ban all travel to and from the US for a significant amount of time after they have things under control in their countries.

Virgo

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Toxic Trump on the other hand wants everything to go back to normal as soon as possible, and the right-wingers would much rather just let old people die "because it costs less money".

The reality is that would just cause a second wave (and potentially a third, fourth, etc.). "Young people" also have underlying conditions in many cases, and even those who aren't strongly effected just become carriers. It is not a viable option at all. It would also lead to greater economic disaster in the long run.

Virgo

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:14 pm

Virgo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 pm
The reality is that would just cause a second wave (and potentially a third, fourth, etc.). "Young people" also have underlying conditions in many cases, and even those who aren't strongly effected just become carriers. It is not a viable option at all. It would also lead to greater economic disaster in the long run.

Virgo
Yes this doesn't help at all. At any rate, someone should ask Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick if he's willing to set an example and die first, after all he's old enough to qualify.

Sad really, to see just how bad of a shape the US is in. Instead of coming together as one nation, the toxic right are showing their true colors.
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:14 pm
Virgo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Virgo
Yes this doesn't help at all. At any rate, someone should ask Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick if he's willing to set an example and die first, after all he's old enough to qualify.
these people are sick, Norwegian.
Norwegian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:14 pm
Sad really, to see just how bad of a shape the US is in. Instead of coming together as one nation, the toxic right are showing their true colors.
Yep, absolutely sick. The mind boggling part is that if this thing is not contained, the economic devestation will be far greater in the long term. There will be fear everywhere, and fear is what destroys the economy. There will be complete instability and the market will never go to back to what it was.

Virgo

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 pm

I usually balk at comparing average right wingers to Nazis, but now we have people saying that essentially we should kill off a percentage of the population for the economy...absolutely disgusting.

The best part is that so many of these guys claim to be Christians...what would Jesus do? I guess he'd say "frak em', they ain't worth much".
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 pm
I usually balk at comparing average right wingers to Nazis, but now we have people saying that essentially we should kill off a percentage of the population for the economy...absolutely disgusting.
Talk about "picking winner and losers."

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:50 pm

Virgo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm
Nemo wrote:
PeterC wrote:

New York State is incredibly bad. It would actually be easier to achieve herd immunity than containment at this point. T
I am not sure that's actually a thing. And if it is, it would mean that the whole world would have to go with 'herd immunity' unless they want to ban all travel to and from the US for a significant amount of time after they have things under control in their countries.

Virgo
It is a sound method for infection control. They are doing so badly it could be done by July. Maybe earlier. With exponential contagion your gut is always telling you it can't happen that fast and the virus always beats you. Sealing New York state for months would be necessary though.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/

Trumpistas are talking about the useless eaters. At least they are showing their true colors.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 pm

The best part is that so many of these guys claim to be Christians...what would Jesus do? I guess he'd say "frak em', they ain't worth much".
Well these so-called Christians might do well in reading the Bible:

James 1:26 ESV:
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Matthew 7:21-23 ESV:
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

2 Timothy 3:1-5 ESV:
"But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people."

Romans 16:17-18 ESV:
"I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive."

etc.

Then there's this guy:

https://www.businessinsider.com/senator ... ?r=US&IR=T
'Absolutely irresponsible': Rand Paul's colleagues are calling him out after he reportedly went to the gym after testing for coronavirus
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.

Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Putting aside the Nazi-worthy comments, I thought there were some strict measures being implemented as we speak? What makes you think the future is really so bleak?

In the Canton of Geneva, we have about 1 case for every 300 people (compare to 1 in every 750 in New York State), in the city of Geneva (as in NYC) I suspect many more, but the mood remains fairly upbeat.
Last edited by Dan74 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Seeing the Ran Paul thing, these creeps talking about reopening the economy, and seeing firsthand the behavior of average people in grocery stores, denying social distancing on purpose because "you can't tell me what to do"...all these things make me incredibly disgusted with my country at the moment. At least I live in a state where they're taking Covid 19 seriously.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Return to “Lounge”