What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
mikenz66

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by mikenz66 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 pm

Virgo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm
live press briefing about to begin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGowUgT0Fr4

Virgo
He really doesn't inspire confidence, does he? Amazing how he can talk for so long without saying anything... :thinking:

But "it will be a great day..." one day...

:heart:
Mike

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:13 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 pm
Virgo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm
live press briefing about to begin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGowUgT0Fr4

Virgo
He really doesn't inspire confidence, does he? Amazing how he can talk for so long without saying anything... :thinking:

But "it will be a great day..." one day...

:heart:
Mike
He managed to say that "nobody could've ever seen something like this coming" (the pandemic) ... #$@#€&$!! :rolleye:
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

smcj

Post by smcj » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:45 am

Confirmed cases in my county:
100 Monday
124 Tuesday
153 Wednesday
???? Thursday (My guess is it will be 185.)

The flood waters are rising.

I like the fact that Trump chose what is possibly the peak of the curve in NY to be the date when we should end social distancing. You can’t make this stuff up.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 am

smcj wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:45 am
100 Monday
124 Tuesday
153 Wednesday

I like the fact that Trump chose what is possibly the peak of the curve in NY to be the date when we should end social distancing. You can’t make this stuff up.
The growth in these numbers is mostly due to increasing testing. Same in the US. All they’re doing is revealing the prevalence today. So when they report 65k cases in the US, that just means they’ve deployed enough tests to find that many, not that that’s all there is. The true number is much, much higher than that

smcj

Post by smcj » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:19 am

PeterC wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 am
smcj wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:45 am
100 Monday
124 Tuesday
153 Wednesday

The growth in these numbers is mostly due to increasing testing.
True.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Coronavirus: How Japan keeps COVID-19 under control
Despite its proximity to China, Japan hasn't seen the massive outbreak of the coronavirus that has shut down much of Europe and North America. What are the Japanese doing differently to help slow the spread?
https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-how-j ... a-52907069

A Coronavirus Explosion Was Expected in Japan. Where Is It?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... here-is-it

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Lucas Oliveira wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Here it is:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... 020-03-26/
Tokyo — The Japanese capital registered 47 new coronavirus cases Thursday, its biggest single-day rise, as the metropolis of 13.9 million people prepares for a weekend indoors. The worrying jump in infections prompted Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike to hold a video conference with her counterparts in neighboring prefectures, asking them to help the greater Tokyo region to isolate itself.

But the spiraling stats are so troubling an expert government panel released its most dire analysis ever today, saying it is "highly likely" Japan will see "rampant" infections.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:03 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 pm
Lucas Oliveira wrote:

Here it is:

Tokyo — The Japanese capital registered 47 new coronavirus cases Thursday, its biggest single-day rise, as the metropolis of 13.9 million people prepares for a weekend indoors. The worrying jump in infections prompted Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike to hold a video conference with her counterparts in neighboring prefectures, asking them to help the greater Tokyo region to isolate itself.

But the spiraling stats are so troubling an expert government panel released its most dire analysis ever today, saying it is "highly likely" Japan will see "rampant" infections.
Sweden can now be added to the list who think the CCP lied. They are doing almost nothing. Not even closing elementary schools. It's already too late. China jiggled up the fatality rate to alter the timeline to prevent embarrassing the CCP. Same type of shit they pulled during SARS.
https://www.ft.com/content/31de03b8-6db ... 9fJAYn5o3Y

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:21 pm

I've been puzzled at the difference in numbers between Norway and Sweden, since we know that many Norwegians were in the Austrian and north Italian alps for skiing vacations (and thus bringing the virus with them back home), and comparatively, this isn't really something that the Swedes do as much as Norwegians, and certainly not the Danish. So looking at Norwegian numbers, Sweden was never that far behind, and now recently Sweden have been catching up to Norway. What stands out in my eyes is however the number of people that have been dying in Sweden (these are of course registered numbers, there may be more):

Infected - Dead - Recovered:
Norway - 3,314 - 14 / 6
Sweden - 2,840 - 71 / 16
Denmark - 2,023 - 41 / 50

Then I discovered that Norway has been very active in testing, compared to Sweden, which is doing almost the opposite. Their approach is one in letting things be as they are basically. It makes me wonder if they had been testing as much as Norway, if their numbers wouldn't have been much higher than they are now.

It's a very risky approach by Sweden.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:21 pm
I've been puzzled at the difference in numbers between Norway and Sweden, since we know that many Norwegians were in the Austrian and north Italian alps for skiing vacations (and thus bringing the virus with them back home), and comparatively, this isn't really something that the Swedes do as much as Norwegians, and certainly not the Danish. So looking at Norwegian numbers, Sweden was never that far behind, and now recently Sweden have been catching up to Norway. What stands out in my eyes is however the number of people that have been dying in Sweden (these are of course registered numbers, there may be more):

Infected - Dead - Recovered:
Norway - 3,314 - 14 / 6
Sweden - 2,840 - 71 / 16
Denmark - 2,023 - 41 / 50

Then I discovered that Norway has been very active in testing, compared to Sweden, which is doing almost the opposite. Their approach is one in letting things be as they are basically. It makes me wonder if they had been testing as much as Norway, if their numbers wouldn't have been much higher than they are now.

It's a very risky approach by Sweden.
Put the R0 between 4 and 7 and cut the fatality rate to 1/10th. 90% of cases are unreported. Also explains how celebrities and politicians are so over represented. Rich Chinese that escaped containment infected all their buddies. I can't make it work any other way.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 pm

Virgo

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 pm

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/woman-cou ... ted-prank/

I just don't get it. If this is true, I'm at a loss.

We haven't had a real serious gut punch in a while to remind us that life is not a joke.

Boo! Reality is coming for a visit!
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:13 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 pm

We haven't had a real serious gut punch in a while to remind us that life is not a joke.

It is completely true.Then there was the white terrorist who was killed in Missouri Tuesday after the FBI tried to arrest him for procuring an IDE. He was on nazi chat groups, accelerating his plans to bomb hospitals, because Jews.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-sec ... mb-medical
Last edited by Malcolm on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 pm
Lucas Oliveira wrote:

Here it is:

They were sticking their head in the sand because they had their eyes on the Olympics. They couldn't delay the Olympics from their side without losing the franchise. Now that the IOC took the initiative, they can start confronting the shitstorm they've been allowing to fester for weeks. So f*ckin Japanese.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:13 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 pm

It is completely true.
Americans need to wake the f*ck up. In all respects. Jeez.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:23 pm

Been on American football chat boards... the delusion of these people thinking there will be a season... Its an interesting mix because politics generally takes a back seat. I know who the MAGA-heads on the board are, but its glaringly obvious what lens they're looking through when they insist "Oh, the virus will be gone in like 60 days. Preseason might be short, but we'll have a season. We can't just live in fear. I mean, this isn't how we won world war 2!" My face hurts from palming it so hard.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:23 pm
Been on American football chat boards... the delusion of these people thinking there will be a season... Its an interesting mix because politics generally takes a back seat. I know who the MAGA-heads on the board are, but its glaringly obvious what lens they're looking through when they insist "Oh, the virus will be gone in like 60 days. Preseason might be short, but we'll have a season. We can't just live in fear. I mean, this isn't how we won world war 2!" My face hurts from palming it so hard.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. If the fatality rate drops to 0.4% more will be killed by financial dislocation at 2008 levels of economic damage in OECD countries. Financial dislocation is incredibly deadly. The spike in cancer deaths alone in the OECD after '08 was 500,000 dead in 2 years. It needs to be discussed.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:52 pm

Nemo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. If the fatality rate drops to 0.4% more will be killed by financial dislocation at 2008 levels of economic damage in OECD countries. Financial dislocation is incredibly deadly. The spike in cancer deaths alone in the OECD after '08 was 500,000 dead in 2 years. It needs to be discussed.
Yes, sure, but we cannot discuss it until we have facts. And we don't have facts and stats right now. But the flu never fills up hospital beds with thousands of people of all ages all at the same time, who require ventilators to survive this illness. You may have read about malignant entities who steal the breath in various ritual manuals and so on. This is that.

As long as the gvts. respond with the proper Keynsian spending, we will all be fine financially. If they don't, we will be looking a world depression that makes 1929 look easy peasy.

boda

Post by boda » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:19 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:52 pm
As long as the gvts. respond with the proper Keynsian spending, we will all be fine financially.
The two trillion dollar stimulus package doesn’t sound particularly Keynesian from what little I know of it, a lot of it going to corporate bailouts.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:25 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:52 pm
Nemo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Yes, sure, but we cannot discuss it until we have facts. And we don't have facts and stats right now. But the flu never fills up hospital beds with thousands of people of all ages all at the same time, who require ventilators to survive this illness. You may have read about malignant entities who steal the breath in various ritual manuals and so on. This is that.

As long as the gvts. respond with the proper Keynsian spending, we will all be fine financially. If they don't, we will be looking a world depression that makes 1929 look easy peasy.
Obviously I'm taking all precautions and have been for much longer than most. It's a cloudy day. I finally went outside and daylight hurt my eyes. But I've also stacked the bodies in the freezer and done my basic military epidemiology. There will be minimal spending on the most at risk. If it is in any way similar to how 2008 was handled this will be murderous to the poor and vulnerable. The traders I know say it's like a pool of sharks eating each other right now. No one alive has ever seen this. In Canada this will peak at an unemployment rate of 20 to 25%. In my military training 20% is where civil order inevitably breaks down. The rich are already using this to lean out processes and automate. The jobs lost will not come back. They have been waiting for an excuse. If the fatality rate is under 1% the only way to stop them is to get back to work as quickly as possible. At least a virus is random. This will be a targeted culling of the poor and vulnerable. Welcome to the world of only having 2 terrible choices that will taint you forever and you do not get to be sure which one is correct.

Return to “Lounge”