What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
rang.drol

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by rang.drol » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:26 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 am
tkp67 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:45 am
Wife is a ER nurse on LI NY and yesterday she had to put another ER nurse to ICU. 44 and no prior health problems and on the brink of death. She said it is starting to get overwhelming and the next 3 weeks will be very rough. I have been doing my best to stay away.
Your wife is a hero.
+1!

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:14 am

What a kind and wonderful response one and all. Thank you very much. My wife would not accept such a designation but she has put up with me over the term so I think she might just be humble. Your kind thoughts are powerful and I am grateful for them. Our children both have asthma so it isn't without real potential consequence.

My real hopes are that the fear of too many patients and not enough equipment or staff simply will not manifest into reality. That is when the consequences become exponentially more real.

Be safe, be well. Thanks again.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 pm
Yes, it's scary. I'm hoping we went into lockdown soon enough. We have 5 M people, about 300 confirmed cases, and only about 250 ventilators in the entire country...

:heart:
Mike
Ventilation is a very complicated and dangerous medical procedure. You need a highly trained ICU nurse 24/7, a biochemist to monitor blood gasses and analyze medications and an anesthetist. That is 18 years+ of school plus ample experience(ever seen a newbie try to intubate?) and massive amounts of drugs on top of a fully stocked lab and the ventilator itself. Patients need to be heavily sedated, on huge doses of muscle relaxants and fed from a bag. Ventilators have a very limited capacity to be ramped up. Oxygen generators and experimental antivirals is more reasonable. Losses are inevitable at this point and resources are limited.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm

tkp67 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:14 am
What a kind and wonderful response one and all. Thank you very much. My wife would not accept such a designation but she has put up with me over the term so I think she might just be humble. Your kind thoughts are powerful and I am grateful for them. Our children both have asthma so it isn't without real potential consequence.

My real hopes are that the fear of too many patients and not enough equipment or staff simply will not manifest into reality. That is when the consequences become exponentially more real.

Be safe, be well. Thanks again.
I have been on both sides, deployed and the one home with the kid. In the short term being home is harder. I hope you can stay strong and put on a good face for the kids. The anxiety can feel very overwhelming.

Long term she will carry a heavy burden. She will make decisions over life and death based on incomplete information. Even if later you find out you were right you still know you were guessing at the time. Her bosses will make decisions that get people needlessly killed and she will know them. I think if I had to do it again having someone tell me a few things over and over would help so much.

You made the right decisions.
I trust you. You did what was right.
You are still a good person.

If this is her first mass casualty triage 6 months from now she will wish more than anything to be the person she was before but it's unlikely. Try not to force her to be who she was before. Your relationship will change and that's normal.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Thank you for the guidance. I understand the depth of these grim circumstance. She asked me about working ER and I thought it was the best choice for her mind. I do believe she is built for this type of thing. Her father recently passed and it was marked with great suffering. She was able to challenge her fear of loss and really connect at the end in light of it all.

The kids are young adults so management is more passive. I simply fear the consequence of their getting ill. I left a lucrative executive position to raise them when they were very young and my wife incapable due to extreme circumstance. Reduced my career to a consultancy which I still maintain today. Gave me a completely different take on things.

I am hopeful that the lack of potent leadership continues to be bolstered by the good will of the public, it seems to be the silver lining. If nothing else it is a better place for me to focus my mind.

It is very sad to know these people are passing alone. I am practicing more with that suffering in mind. I don't know what else I can do personally and I hate to avoid it in my mind and do nothing there after.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:10 pm

wife being sent home because of high temp

sigh

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:59 pm

PM me your wife's name and birthdate and I'll be happy to do Vajra Armor for her.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

smcj

Post by smcj » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:59 pm

This will be a painful lesson about dukkha, interdependence, and impermanence for the entire world.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Well, we know what the orange-haired dipshit with a bad comb over and a spray-on tan has been doing:

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Meanwhile in the UK, Boris 'Trump Britain' has been assuring everyone there is enough protection equipment for the NHS (although they seem to have very little and feel they are being sacrificed).
And today Boris the Enemal, Hand Cock the Health Minister and the Chief Medical Officer have all gone into self isolation, having got a dose. That's right - the top three people in charge of the crisis and 'Prevent' strategy failed to prevent their own infection.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:06 pm

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:15 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:59 pm
PM me your wife's name and birthdate and I'll be happy to do Vajra Armor for her.

This is exceptionally kind of you. Thank you very much.

smcj

Post by smcj » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:08 am

Here in NY Gov. Cuomo mentioned in an interview that the crest of the wave is expected in about 3 weeks. That would put it around April 19th. I’m sure he was speaking about either NYC or NYState.

I find it odd that kind of information isn’t announced more broadly.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:53 am

smcj wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:08 am
Here in NY Gov. Cuomo mentioned in an interview that the crest of the wave is expected in about 3 weeks. That would put it around April 19th. I’m sure he was speaking about either NYC or NYState.

I find it odd that kind of information isn’t announced more broadly.
Are there continuously updated online graphs for NYC similar to these?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Since I have a son and daughter-in-law in northern Manhattan, I've been paying particular attention.
At least Cuomo sounds like a real leader. Undoubtedly, NY (and just about everywhere) could have been better prepared for such crises, but at least the State Governors and Mayors of the likes of NY, Chicago, etc, understand what they are up against. Even Boris had got it. As opposed to the Commander in Chief, who seems to be in denial.
Well, John the Baptist, after torturing a thief
Looks up at his hero, the commander-in-chief
Saying, “Tell me, great hero, but please make it brief
Is there a hole for me to get sick in?”

The commander-in-chief answers him while chasing a fly
Saying, "Death to all those who would whimper and cry"
And dropping a barbell, he points to the sky
Saying, "The sun’s not yellow, it’s chicken"

https://genius.com/Bob-dylan-tombstone-blues-lyrics
:heart:
Mike

smcj

Post by smcj » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:07 am

There's a daily breakdown of confirmed cases in NY counties.
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/count ... tive-cases
But I don't know of a graph per se.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:12 am

smcj wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:07 am
There's a daily breakdown of confirmed cases in NY counties.
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/count ... tive-cases
But I don't know of a graph per se.
Thanks. May you and your wife we safe and well. :anjali:

Mike

smcj

Post by smcj » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:23 am

A good video about Covid 19 graphs. The second half of the video gets interesting about the limits of graphing this pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XLXg4fYsc

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:47 am

Thanks, that's awesome.
Here's the link to the interactive graph, if you want to experiment with that. https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Mike

smcj

Post by smcj » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:24 am

Somebody named Brie Stimson at Fox News admits to a worst case scenario of 2.2M USA dead.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/how-lon ... -in-the-us

This might be the time for single payer.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:10 am

Some countries using mandated location tracking during lockdowns for COVID-19:

Virgo

Return to “Lounge”