What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
smcj

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by smcj » Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 am

tkp67 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:37 am
Crest of the wave has broken and resided at my wife's work.
Since you didn’t mention her further I’d like to assume she made it through unscathed (so far).
:namaste:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:23 am

smcj wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 am
tkp67 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:37 am
Crest of the wave has broken and resided at my wife's work.
ys

Since you didn’t mention her further I’d like to assume she made it through unscathed (so far).
Hard to say. She was sent home sick twice but tested once. The test came back negative. There where some real stress points (inadequate PPE), overwhelming conditions, much patient suffering for which they where helpless to effect in a meaningful way. She is very stoic for the most part but she said it was tough at times. I would like to think we have so far been relatively unscathed but aware of the real toll the virus is taking. Refuge has gone a long way here personally.

It seems some of the general public are abstracted from the carnage and are overly frustrated. More than one person has mentioned their doubt in the severity to me. I think in part because they know my wife has some first hand information but I find it troublesome someone would doubt data. It just speaks of larger problem than the virus.

I find I like chanting/meditating and being alone in nature so much more these days ... wish I could get more of the later.

:anjali:

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun May 17, 2020 10:59 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/opin ... eaths.html

America's true death toll already over 100 000.

:reading:
Kim

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon May 18, 2020 4:37 am

If you think you've got it bad, think again.
Fight the Hunger Pandemic

They say a picture is worth a thousand words -- but this one left me speechless.

A hungry mother in India, baby in her arms, bursts into tears after queuing for food -- only for it to run out before she could get any.

Now the UN is warning the world is on the brink of a famine of ‘biblical proportions’ with a QUARTER OF A BILLION people, like this young mum, staring starvation in the face!

Brave local groups and aid workers are working around the clock to fight this ‘hunger pandemic’, doing all they can to feed starving children while trying to save more and more people getting sick from the virus. But they’re working on a shoestring, and they need our help ...
:reading: https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/en ... ndemic_64/

Other charities will have similar programs, of course, and I'm not saying this is the best - it's just one I know about.

Kim

Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:42 am

PeterC wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:39 am
Queequeg wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm
The unfortunate thing is that the smartest people in our society go into tech, and tech industry is no longer a bunch of psychedelic cowboys and hippies, but has been taken over by the finance guys, making for a particular culture right now that turns out douche bags. And tech enables a certain set of stupid to have a giant soapbox because... I don't know. Car wrecks are intrinsically interesting and easy to understand. Scientific method is slow and painstaking, and incredibly transparent. There's no room for fanciful imagination.
There’s at least five kinds of people in what we call ‘tech’ (which for the most part is concerned with business models built around software rather than ‘hard’ technology, and has been for a few decades).

There are people who are just about the money. Bezos is the prime example. He was originally working at a hedge fund and decided to sell books not because he cared about reading but because they were the best high-value, small, high-volume item he could find to sell. He was never really welcomed by the Silicon Valley crowd, they still view him as a bit of an outsider. He takes no moral stance, he just goes where the business opportunity leads. Larry Ellison is another, and he also isn’t quite regarded as “one of us”.

There are pure technicians who just want to make interesting things and don’t really care much about the business or social side. Dennis Ritchie, Ken Thompson, Steve Wozniak, etc. These are actually the people who are most important. You will never hear about most of them. Not all become rich.

There are smart people who become obscenely rich and facilitate what we consider fairly evil companies. Zuckerbeg and Sanders are the most obvious. Sergey Bryn is close.

There are actual sociopaths who want to make themselves immortal overlords of a slave race subjugated by machines. I joke not. This is literally Peter Thiel’s goal, Elon Musk isn’t far behind, and there are a few hundred people in Silicon Valley who are explicitly working towards this in the companies they fund. And yes immortality means exactly that - permanent rejuvenation, cryopreservation, machine consciousness, etc.

And finally there are some people who become rich then actually want to use their money to make the world a better place. People like Bill Gates - what the gates foundation does on public healthcare is really remarkable. There are a few others, like Brian Acton, who founded WhatsApp, sold it to Facebook, then after realising how evil Facebook was, left, forfeiting a lot of his earnout, and gave a lot of his money to developing a free and private messaging app instead. But sadly these people are vanishingly few. Generally I am not a believer in philanthropy because the amount of general good it produces, vs the amount of promotion of personal political agendas, is very limited.
I am not very well-informed about all these people you mention, but didn't Musk have a spat with Zuckerberg about the dangers of automation, suggesting some concern about it, rather than 'working towards a slave race subjugated by machines"?

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Mon May 18, 2020 7:56 am

Dan74 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:42 am
I am not very well-informed about all these people you mention, but didn't Musk have a spat with Zuckerberg about the dangers of automation, suggesting some concern about it, rather than 'working towards a slave race subjugated by machines"?
He did. He has a specific issue with AI because he sees it becoming, well, Skynet or something similar, and T-1000s roaming the nuclear wasteland killing of the last remnants of humanity. I think he's being a little unrealistic, humans will manage to kill themselves off long before the terminators are invented, with the far more primitive tools of economics.

He is, however, quite set on finding ways to extend human life - scanning the brain into machines, etc. - and make humanity a space-faring civilization so that it can escape the limits of the earth. His view of preserving the planet is a little similar to Ronald Reagan's - he's given up, he just doesn't want to be around when the shit hits the fan.

Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:39 am

PeterC wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:56 am
Dan74 wrote:
He did. He has a specific issue with AI because he sees it becoming, well, Skynet or something similar, and T-1000s roaming the nuclear wasteland killing of the last remnants of humanity. I think he's being a little unrealistic, humans will manage to kill themselves off long before the terminators are invented, with the far more primitive tools of economics.

He is, however, quite set on finding ways to extend human life - scanning the brain into machines, etc. - and make humanity a space-faring civilization so that it can escape the limits of the earth. His view of preserving the planet is a little similar to Ronald Reagan's - he's given up, he just doesn't want to be around when the shit hits the fan.
Musk is a strange guy and probably had a very dysfunctional upbringing, but I don't see a near sociopath in him. His concerns about AI seem to range beyond Skynet, he has also mentioned a disappearance of jobs and a need for open research and careful oversight. All very sensible proposals, it seems to me.

He probably shares the intoxication with technological promises so common to our technoelites. They are our next rulers, so we better learn to see the positives in them! :twothumbsup:

I also don't think Brin should be lumped there either, as much as he has done nothing much to help advance this discussion on the dangers, he is not blind to it:

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Mon May 18, 2020 8:56 am

Dan74 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:39 am
PeterC wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:56 am
Dan74 wrote:

Musk is a strange guy and probably had a very dysfunctional upbringing, but I don't see a near sociopath in him. His concerns about AI seem to range beyond Skynet, he has also mentioned a disappearance of jobs and a need for open research and careful oversight. All very sensible proposals, it seems to me.

He probably shares the intoxication with technological promises so common to our technoelites. They are our next rulers, so we better learn to see the positives in them! :twothumbsup:

I also don't think Brin should be lumped there either, as much as he has done nothing much to help advance this discussion on the dangers, he is not blind to it:

Sergey Brin is not a terrible guy. He has quite strong moral instincts around personal freedoms which stem from his childhood. Eric Schmidt, however, is an carbuncle whose morality is roughly level with that of a defense contractor

Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 am
tobes wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:08 am
I think we'll see a shift back to bigger governments - maybe some things being re-nationalised, big infrastructure projects etc. Not necessarily more regulation.
Or it could be even worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/m ... s-pandemic

:toilet:

Kim
I am in two minds about this.

Firstly, the old-timers that we are cling to our way of doing things and see many advantages to it, some real, others imagined. For example, as a teacher who's had to teach remotely for the last few months, I can see quite a few pros and cons to both. And while I see the normal interactive classroom, given a competent teacher, as being a lot better, the fact of the matter is that the majority of the people in the world do not have access to a normal interactive classroom with a competent teacher.

Technology can personalise learning, allow not only personal styles, but individual pace, something classrooms are not very good at. It can deliver a quality learning environment at practically no cost, since it only requires internet and a functioning computer as infrastructure. It does require one to be self-motivated, which is one of the things that seem to be hardest for my students. A routine, attending classes, etc, is much easier.

The danger I see is the ever shrinking window of actual human contact and technology becoming the master, rather than the servant.

tobes

Post by tobes » Tue May 19, 2020 7:39 am

Dan74 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:14 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 am
tobes wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:08 am
I think we'll see a shift back to bigger governments - maybe some things being re-nationalised, big infrastructure projects etc. Not necessarily more regulation.
Or it could be even worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/m ... s-pandemic

:toilet:

Kim
I am in two minds about this.

Firstly, the old-timers that we are cling to our way of doing things and see many advantages to it, some real, others imagined. For example, as a teacher who's had to teach remotely for the last few months, I can see quite a few pros and cons to both. And while I see the normal interactive classroom, given a competent teacher, as being a lot better, the fact of the matter is that the majority of the people in the world do not have access to a normal interactive classroom with a competent teacher.

Technology can personalise learning, allow not only personal styles, but individual pace, something classrooms are not very good at. It can deliver a quality learning environment at practically no cost, since it only requires internet and a functioning computer as infrastructure. It does require one to be self-motivated, which is one of the things that seem to be hardest for my students. A routine, attending classes, etc, is much easier.

The danger I see is the ever shrinking window of actual human contact and technology becoming the master, rather than the servant.
I've also been in the same boat. The more experience I'm getting with it, the less reservations I have. It's harder to meet minds, it's harder to generate a chemistry of shared minds all engaged in the same task - which can be very inspiring. But, this still happens virtually.

The biggest loss for students, I think, is in the coffees/chats/bonds that accrue through a semester of sharing a material space. Lifelong friends can be made over 12 or so weeks of being a class together. I made many as an undergrad that I still have now.

Toenail

Post by Toenail » Tue May 19, 2020 3:16 pm

What are you doing about the coronavirus?
I took Vegetarian Vows for a month and hope everything will be okay :(

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue May 19, 2020 3:24 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:14 pm

We have been very promiscuous as a civilization. In fact, social isolation has been the norm for most of human history, where most people have lived in isolated bands, and strangers met with suspicion; precisely because of contagious diseases to which there was no immunity.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Tue May 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Well, they have started lifting the restrictions here in Greece and people are acting like nothing ever happened.

I seem to remember saying it will be "business as usual" in no time?

Anyway...

It is just a matter of time before the infection rate sky-rockets again. Especially in large urban centers.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

krish5

Post by krish5 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:36 pm

I live in Arizona, and the Governor lifted the restrictions here last week. I went out yesterday to eat in a restaurant that is attached to a mall. I was able to see into the mall while eating. I was shocked how many people were out and about again at the mall, as if nothing happened. Lots of young people, teenagers, parents with young children, it seemed more crowded than a average Monday before this happened. Very few were wearing masks. I just dont get any of this, how two weeks ago we were required to stay in, except for essential things like food. Now all restrictions gone, in regards to travelling and being out, when the virus is still not under control and possibly spreading more than ever. I am just very confused by all of this, unless it all is politically based...

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue May 19, 2020 6:38 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:23 pm

It is just a matter of time before the infection rate sky-rockets again. Especially in large urban centers.
Well, if we would just take down all those 5G antennas, the problem would be solved without the forced sterilizations posing as vaccines for a virus that does not exist.... :rolleye:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue May 19, 2020 6:41 pm

krish5 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:36 pm
unless it all is politically based...

krish5

Post by krish5 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:42 pm

BTW, in Arizona, golf courses were considered essential businesses and never closed down, go figure :-)

White Sakura

Post by White Sakura » Tue May 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Here in Germany we cannot choose what we are doing about the coronavirus. Everything depends on the current level of restrictions imposed by the government. We had a very high number of cases for such a small country. And it is densely populated so we had to stay at home. Of course we wash our hands like crazy. We have to keep six feet distance. In the supermarked and in public transport masks are mandatory.
Actually I am not 100 percent informed, how many people I would be allowed to meet. I rather meet people online. The buddhist centers were allowed to reopen, but they didn´t start yet. No master from India came since the European lockdowns started. It is not allowed to fly into the EU from outside EU. And India is in lockdown anyway....

tobes

Post by tobes » Wed May 20, 2020 12:16 am

Grigoris wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:23 pm
Well, they have started lifting the restrictions here in Greece and people are acting like nothing ever happened.

I seem to remember saying it will be "business as usual" in no time?

Anyway...

Why do you think Greece has been relatively successful (up until now)? I haven't followed closely since the good old days of Varoufakis - but most outsiders would have assumed that the health system would have taken a massive hit post-GFC.

krish5

Post by krish5 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:08 am

I am very confused, more so than ever regarding the corona virus. My state re-opened pretty much everything, including pools, malls, and casinos. I know they have extra rules but still very concerned about this virus spreading more now, than ever. I am still pretty much staying in most of the time, except grocery shopping once a week and once or twice a week picking up food. But no matter how careful i am, i know am still at the mercy of this virus and people who might have it. I know the responsible thing to do is to keep this lifestyle up, of staying home, even though free to go out now, but it is not living really and i am becoming very lethargic and depressed staying home. So if this virus doesnt kill me, these other things will, the way it is going. I dont know if i am making sense, but can anyone who has more knowledge about this virus than me, give some advice, suggestions, how to go about living during a pandemic like this that doesnt seem to be going away. To balance trying to be safe and also to live some too, if that is possible. Thanks.

Return to “Lounge”