What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Dan74
Former staff member

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by Dan74 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:30 pm

Danny wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:49 pm
Because when you actually dig down into the numbers, whilst as a quick defibrillator shock to bump start Economy, the tax rates when settled down actually benefit the rich and the poor will be left with 90% of all tax revenue collections to repay the stimulus when the dust has settled.
Plus any small business owners out there will tell you they want government ou of their way and not an expanded plan to increase them as your silent partner.

Regards
Where is the money in this stimulus package heading exactly? You are suggesting that it is a taxcut for the rich, but is that actually the fact?

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Mon May 25, 2020 9:03 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:46 pm
Danny wrote:

Plus any small business owners out there will tell you they want government ou of their way and not an expanded plan to increase them as your silent partner.
Yes, because small businesses hate roads, bridges, electricity, telephones, and the US Post Office. :roll:

This anti-government rhetoric is extremely harmful. Reagan lead directly to Trump.
Watching America feels like watching Tiger King, but with nukes instead of tigers.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Fri May 29, 2020 2:06 am

There seems to be a lot of attention being given to a rise in depression, suicide, etc. which is being blamed on the lockdown (this is in the United States. I don’t know about elsewhere).
Although it probably couldn’t be accurately measured, I’d be interested to know if people who practice Buddhist meditation are as stressed as non-Buddhists.
I just wonder, because, for me personally, basically having to stay home for the last two months hasn’t been particularly difficult for me. Granted, I work from home anyway, but the restlessness, the uncertainty, all this stuff that is apparently driving others over the edge, no, that’s not my reality at all. In fact, time seems to be passing very quickly. All of a sudden, another has gone by. I’ve neen inconvenienced, sure. I’ve had to put a number of projects on hold. I’ve had to postpone medical visits. But I’m not stressing over it.

What’s your experience with this?
Are your friends and family members climbing the walls while you sit peacefully?
I’m interested in knowing how that’s going.
•••
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:21 am

Dan74 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:30 pm
Danny wrote:
Because when you actually dig down into the numbers, whilst as a quick defibrillator shock to bump start Economy, the tax rates when settled down actually benefit the rich and the poor will be left with 90% of all tax revenue collections to repay the stimulus when the dust has settled.

Regards
Where is the money in this stimulus package heading exactly? You are suggesting that it is a taxcut for the rich, but is that actually the fact?
I think the question is how best to give support to keep businesses going. Here in New Zealand, when we went in to lockdown it was made very easy for businesses to apply for a wage subsidy, which they had to pass on by continuing to pay their employees. The continuation of that, as we come out of lockdown, has more hoops to jump through to show that it is really needed.

To me, funnelling the money through companies, so that the companies come out of it still able to trade, and hopefully able to survive long term, is a much better strategy than paying unemployment benefits, or other direct payments. Note that there was a requirement to pass on the money, and companies had to name the people they were claiming the subsidy for - they couldn't just say "give me a million dollars to keep going".

:heart:
Mike

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri May 29, 2020 4:29 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:06 am
There seems to be a lot of attention being given to a rise in depression, suicide, etc. which is being blamed on the lockdown (this is in the United States. I don’t know about elsewhere).
Although it probably couldn’t be accurately measured, I’d be interested to know if people who practice Buddhist meditation are as stressed as non-Buddhists.
I just wonder, because, for me personally, basically having to stay home for the last two months hasn’t been particularly difficult for me. Granted, I work from home anyway, but the restlessness, the uncertainty, all this stuff that is apparently driving others over the edge, no, that’s not my reality at all. In fact, time seems to be passing very quickly. All of a sudden, another has gone by. I’ve neen inconvenienced, sure. I’ve had to put a number of projects on hold. I’ve had to postpone medical visits. But I’m not stressing over it.

Are your friends and family members climbing the walls while you sit peacefully?
•••
It's making more intolerant of people, or it has here and there. I've definitely been on edge some days, other times I've really enjoyed the peace and quiet. My family seems to be doing similarly.

Oddly, the first weeks I was practicing like crazy, and just settled to minimal daily practice, motivation seems to have waned. At some point I got fed up and restless, and can only keep myself ok with large amounts of exercise.

For me, the biggest frustration is homeschooling kids all while trying to get through my own classes. It's a shitshow.

No real misfortunes either, I'm doing well compared to many others.. just have to be honest that I've not handled well as I would've hoped.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:06 am

•••
I've doubled down on volunteer work, no fear, no stress. We follow all the protocols at the pantries; strip down clothes straight into the wash and me into the shower when I get home. There are lots of new volunteers and its a privilege to serve people alongside them. Some volunteers take uber or bus rides across the city. A local dharma friend makes beautifully sewn masks that I hand out to folks lacking them, I have the next batch to pick up tomorrow.

Work has been fine, very grateful to be employed. We have toured the grocery stores in the area, finding out which ones are better stocked- some we had never been inside for the 20yrs we've lived here. The lines to get into grocery/home stores were kind of annoying the 1st couple times, now its just practice and time to observe the mind. All this time at home provides a lot of schedule relief so I've been able to diversify my dharma practices.

The wife and daughter are doing OK, though we do have to keep after our daughter's online schoolwork. We're otherwise at home, we go out to the state park for walks sometimes, otherwise masked at all times in public. We dug a pond in the backyard by ourselves, daughter ran the excavator. We put in the liner just in time for the frogs, a bunch of them are out there making the windows rattle.

Some friends of mine in AA have told me about a lot of relapse drinking going on. One of the pantry volunteers has a son who is a doomsday prepper, he hasn't been outside his house since March- so its out there for sure.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sat May 30, 2020 5:12 am

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... t-11996752

This feels like the trailer for yet another horror film...

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sat May 30, 2020 1:09 pm

PeterC wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:12 am
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... t-11996752

This feels like the trailer for yet another horror film...
Or one that already happened in Wuhan. But of course corona viruses escaping from a lab is poppycock. Only 80% of SARS outbreaks were from lab leaks. The monkeys escaping is obviously CIA propaganda. Postdoc new grads learning to inject angry monkeys that want to tear their face off is perfectly safe and never left to literally the most junior personnel in any facility. This is standard worldwide. They think it's important to weed out the squeamish and deaden their empathy by making them kill many animals. This story is what happens when a researcher is not ruthless enough with test subjects. All roads to this crisis start from cruelty to animals.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sat May 30, 2020 4:59 pm

Even the CCP has given up on the wet market lie now.
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/cov ... source/amp

My track record on Covid predictions is pretty good. Better than any official source. Here is what I think happened.

In 2011 F16, a universal antibody(temporary cure) for all 16 influenza A strains, was discovered. The parent of all influenza A strains was the Spanish Flu. Zoonotic diseases are rare and incredibly dangerous. American interests hired a hot shot virologist in Wuhan to do research much too dangerous to be allowed within the United States. She was to secure multiple SARS type coronaviruses, perform gain of function testing in the lab and then develop a universal antibody for SARS, MERS, etc just like F16. This could theoretically be worth billions dollars. GoF testing began in the Wuhan Institute of virology in 2019. A postdoc got infected because discipline was getting lax at the lab. Because it was kept secret it escaped early containment and the Chinese military took over the institute. The military tried to cover up the cover up leading to the entire world getting infected.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sat May 30, 2020 7:42 pm

And the winner is:

https://medium.com/@indica/covid-underd ... 0c162427c2
COVID Underdogs: Mongolia

The best COVID-19 response in the world

Mongolia has had the best COVID-19 response in the world. Not only do they have zero deaths, they have zero local transmissions. Mongolia didn’t flatten the curve or crush the curve — they were just like ‘frak curves’. In Mongolia, there simply wasn't an epidemic at all.

And no, they didn’t just get lucky.

Starting in January, Mongolia executed a perfect public health response, and they have never let up the pressure since. COVID-19 did not just leave Mongolia alone. Mongolia kicked its ass.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat May 30, 2020 8:06 pm

Nemo wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:59 pm

My track record on Covid predictions is pretty good. Better than any official source. Here is what I think happened.

In 2011 F16, a universal antibody(temporary cure) for all 16 influenza A strains, was discovered. The parent of all influenza A strains was the Spanish Flu. Zoonotic diseases are rare and incredibly dangerous. American interests hired a hot shot virologist in Wuhan to do research much too dangerous to be allowed within the United States. She was to secure multiple SARS type coronaviruses, perform gain of function testing in the lab and then develop a universal antibody for SARS, MERS, etc just like F16. This could theoretically be worth billions dollars. GoF testing began in the Wuhan Institute of virology in 2019. A postdoc got infected because discipline was getting lax at the lab. Because it was kept secret it escaped early containment and the Chinese military took over the institute. The military tried to cover up the cover up leading to the entire world getting infected.
But your theory does not account for this, which is from the Daily Mail report the National Star report is based upon:
The 'patient zero' - the first person to actually contract COVID-19 in Wuhan - has not been confirmed but authorities believe it may have been a 55-year-old man from Hubei province infected on November 17.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... demic.html

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sat May 30, 2020 8:55 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:06 pm
Nemo wrote:

But your theory does not account for this, which is from the Daily Mail report the National Star report is based upon:
The 'patient zero' - the first person to actually contract COVID-19 in Wuhan - has not been confirmed but authorities believe it may have been a 55-year-old man from Hubei province infected on November 17.
Actually it does. As I posted earlier. The window is Oct 6 to 11th.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... avkfN8FIcU

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat May 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Nemo wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:55 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Nemo wrote:

There is no information about where he was infected. He was not a lab worker at the Wuhan lab.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:51 pm
Nemo wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

There is no information about where he was infected. He was not a lab worker at the Wuhan lab.
Serious shit went down at the WiV in early October. The entire area was locked down. A postdoc disappeared and she was scubbed from the website. I think she is patient zero. I can dig it all up if you are curious.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun May 31, 2020 12:14 am

Nemo wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Serious shit went down at the WiV in early October. The entire area was locked down. A postdoc disappeared and she was scubbed from the website. I think she is patient zero. I can dig it all up if you are curious.
Sure, always curious.

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões » Sun May 31, 2020 12:15 am

Grigoris wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:42 pm
And the winner is:

https://medium.com/@indica/covid-underd ... 0c162427c2
COVID Underdogs: Mongolia

The best COVID-19 response in the world

Mongolia has had the best COVID-19 response in the world. Not only do they have zero deaths, they have zero local transmissions. Mongolia didn’t flatten the curve or crush the curve — they were just like ‘frak curves’. In Mongolia, there simply wasn't an epidemic at all.

And no, they didn’t just get lucky.

Starting in January, Mongolia executed a perfect public health response, and they have never let up the pressure since. COVID-19 did not just leave Mongolia alone. Mongolia kicked its ass.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sun May 31, 2020 10:56 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:14 am
Nemo wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 pm
Malcolm wrote:

Sure, always curious.

A quick synopsis of the Wechat,

The WiV had already posted her job and she was still on the website.

It's all quite sad really and other than the multiple cover ups after the fact to me it looks like it was an accident. I like theories that can be disproved. Still waiting on a proof of life for Huang Yanling. Even Shi has said the only virus even remotely resembling SARS-Cov is from a bat over 1500KM away. Sick bats don't generally fly 1500 KM during hibernation season to land 350 metres from the only lab that is actively studying them. Add on the near exact match of pangolin virus shell protein and the polybasic furin cleavage site and it's not much of a mystery. Even the CCP has given up on the wet market lie. Good news is the research should provide an antibody treatment that could be mass producible by Christmas.
ImageImage

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Nemo wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:03 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:46 pm
Danny wrote:

Yes, because small businesses hate roads, bridges, electricity, telephones, and the US Post Office. :roll:

This anti-government rhetoric is extremely harmful. Reagan lead directly to Trump.
Watching America feels like watching Tiger King, but with nukes instead of tigers.
I was thinking I liked Tiger King better, but that was around the time of the murder hornets filler episode. This whole civil war arc was amazing. Though seriously it's a bit too much for one season. Not very believable. Though the tie in with it accelerating the plague that was almost under control was some really good writing. I hope they don't try to top themselves with nukes or a war with China but at this point I'm ready for anything. Maybe the finale will be a Presidential last stand in the Whitehouse this winter.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:26 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:35 pm
Nemo wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:18 pm
In counter insurgency school 20% unemployment was the point where winning is impossible. It's also when things are so unstable you can foment a revolution with just sparks.
Well, they had better revise the books at counter-insurgency school. There are plenty of countries where the unemployment rate is over 20% (including Greece, which went well over the 20% mark) that have not had revolutions. Nor does it look like they will have a revolution any time soon.

Revolution needs more than a high unemployment rate, it needs an organised and armed alternative. It needs people ready to sacrifice themselves for a higher cause.

In highly individualised post-modern capitalist societies the second factor is missing.

In Greece, not only did we not have a revolution, but they recently reelected into power the very people who's policies where one of the causal factors for the mass unemployment.
I don't think we will.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Nemo wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:26 pm
I don't think we will.
I don't think you understand my dear Nemo: I consider a win by the Democrats essentially the same as a win by the Republicans. All the shit going down now didn't develop over Trump's reign, it has been there the whole time and you can bet that if Biden gets into power he will do NOTHING to change it.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Lounge”