Dharma Centers Going Temporarily Virtual

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Hazel

Dharma Centers Going Temporarily Virtual

Post by Hazel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 pm

Hello,

I now know of two dharma centers (one Zen and one Tibetan) that have switched to virtual classes.

Has yours? What are your thoughts on how this will impact students?

Would it be useful or would it be disruptive to share some links here to various places? I think it presents a neat opportunity to explore other dharma centers. Though remember to donate!

I would humbly request this not become a discussion about the current pandemic, but rather just the consequences of dharma centers going online because of it.

:heart:

Misty

Re: Dharma Centers Going Temporarily Virtual

Post by Misty » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:34 pm

A beautiful idea Hazel!
I hope it’s okay for centres to share their teachings here.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Everything up here is virtual now. I'm figuring out how to do our group Puja through Zoom, shouldn't be too bad but not sure the Lama who leads is that into it.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Hazel

Post by Hazel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:58 pm

Misty wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:34 pm
A beautiful idea Hazel!
I hope it’s okay for centres to share their teachings here.
That's what I am unsure of, which is why I didn't open with links to the centers I know doing this.... Don't want any trouble makers to get ahold of the links.

Still interesting/encouraging to hear how communities are transforming so they can endure and help people in their times of need.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 am

There is no reason per se why virtual Sangha should not be as effective and useful as meat world Sangha.
Dzogchen Community students for example have benefited for years from distance learning and transmissions.
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Punya

Post by Punya » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:47 pm

Yes, Siddhartha's Intent Australia (Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche's organisation) has now gone virtual. Not too difficult, because our resident teacher was already doing quite a lot of webinars (in addition to live teachings and retreats) to support sanghas spread across three states. It will be interesting to get to see how the tsoks are conducted. Perhaps there will still be a few in-person participants to create the sense of a group practice.

I imagine it won't be difficult for a number of other Buddhist organisations as well, because of their previous online presence.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Hazel

Post by Hazel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:54 am

Simon E. wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 am
There is no reason per se why virtual Sangha should not be as effective and useful as meat world Sangha.
Dzogchen Community students for example have benefited for years from distance learning and transmissions.
Agreed. In fact I think it could even have a positive impact in making the teachings more accessible to some. At least those with data connection.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:44 am

Rinchen Choling in Temple City is live-streaming prayers on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings (LA time)

[DRC Group Practice Livestreaming Tonight]

Time (LA Time): Tonight Wednesday 7:30pm to 8:30pm

DRC YouTube Link: https://m.youtube.com/user/rinchencholing

Wednesday night Practice: White Tara and Parnashavari
Wednesday Texts Download:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

{寶法林YouTube網路共修}
今晚星期三 7:30-8:30共修白度母及葉衣佛母
共修網址: https://m.youtube.com/user/rinchencholing

法本下載:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:10 am

I did my first puja as English umzed and Zoom host (Lama is the Tibetan umzed). It's tough because you cannot sing together. I had to mute and unmute myself constantly so that my mic did not interrupt the Lama's chanting in Tibetan after or before I'd finished the English. Everyone else had to be muted until the end where we could say goodbye, chat and whatnot.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:43 am

I don't know about zoom, but yes I get that, especially if it is long puja.
With livestream since it is one way, everyone can just follow along at home all at the same time. But then you don't really get to chant "together".
You can do group video chat with wechat you know that? Maybe it would work better, but really I don't know if that would work better or not.

Hazel

Post by Hazel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:10 am
I did my first puja as English umzed and Zoom host (Lama is the Tibetan umzed). It's tough because you cannot sing together. I had to mute and unmute myself constantly so that my mic did not interrupt the Lama's chanting in Tibetan after or before I'd finished the English. Everyone else had to be muted until the end where we could say goodbye, chat and whatnot.
Interesting. Would you consider it a success overall/worth repeating? I wonder how many of these problems can be mitigated through time and neccesity.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:45 am

Hazel wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:10 am
Interesting. Would you consider it a success overall/worth repeating? I wonder how many of these problems can be mitigated through time and neccesity.
Depends on literacy with the sadahana and the software. I didn't find it too bad..the result is that everyone is essentially singing along only with the Lama while seeing everyone else... so no awesome group harmony. I feel like it would not be a great way to introduce new people, but I have been practicing in a group with these people for years. Basically I did what I normally do but I had to hit "alt-a" a lot. It's definitely better than not practicing. I am fine just doing the sadhana on my own but the community vibe is worth keeping, even in this weird format. So we will definitely be continuing.

-James Low

Fortyeightvows

Mingyur Rinpoche live teaching online

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:06 am

好消息!
转载自亚洲德噶 ~

【仁波切亲授线上直播课程 ~ 普通话翻译连结】

明就仁波切应德噶禅修社群的请求,将於本周日在尼泊尔透过网络直播给予线上教学,以支持全世界各地的修行人。为方便需要听普通話翻译的同学,亞洲德噶将设立以下线上平台:

明就仁波切线上讲座
主题:苦恼中如何生活
时间:2020年3月30日 凌晨 12:00 至 1:00 北京/香港/台湾/新加坡时间 (平台提前30分钟於29/3 晚上11.30开放给参与者进入)
人数:1000人
连结:
https://zoom.us/j/528005438
会议ID:528 005 438

ZOOM使用提示:
1) 可透过 PC, Mac, Linux或Apple iOS或Android 視频参与
2) 可先用手机或电脑下载「ZOOM」
https://zoom.us/support/download ,在WIFI良好的情况下收看
3) 连线加入 : 按Zoom会议连结,开启「ZOOM」后,选择[加入会议] >> 输入会议 ID 528 005 438 >> 选择 [加入会议] 按钮即可。

收听直播普通话翻译温馨提示
在仁波切正式开始网上直播时,
1) 主持人会把仁波切的声音调低,以免出現翻译声音重叠,使大家能听到清晰的翻译声音
2) 整个课程透过亞洲和北美几个不同地点发送和操作,仁波切授课、翻译、主持人和听课参与者的网络质量和网速都有可能影响影音效果。敬请大家耐心包容!

稍后,亞洲德噶会把視频的中文,韩文及印尼文版本陸续推出上载到社交平台,请大家留意。谢谢大家!

Good news !
From Tergar Asia information ~

[Mingyur Rinpoche Live Teaching - - Mandarin translation link]
In response to a request from the Tergar Meditation Community, Mingyur Rinpoche will give a live teaching from Nepal on this coming Sunday to support practitioners all over the world.

For those who need Mandarin translation, Tergar Asia provides the following online platform:

Mingyur Rinpoche Live Teaching
Theme: Living With Distress

Time: 12:00 am to 1:00 am, March 30, 2020 Beijing / Hong Kong / Taiwan time (platform will open 30 minutes prior at 11.30pm on March 29)
Quota: 1000
Link: https://zoom.us/j/528005438
Conference ID: 528 005 438

Tips for using ZOOM:
1) You can participate via PC, Mac, Linux or Apple iOS or Android video
2) Download "ZOOM '' with your mobile phone or computer https://zoom.us/support/download, watch it under good WIFI connection
3) Join online: Press the ZOOM Meeting link, open "ZOOM", and select [Join a Meeting] >> Enter Meeting ID 528 005 438 >> Select the [Join] button.

Reminder for live teaching with simultaneous Chinese translation
When Rinpoche began live teaching
1) The host will turn down Rinpoche's voice to avoid the echo, so that everyone can hear the clear translations.
2) The Zoom livestream is delivered and operated through different locations in Asia and North America. The quality of the live-stream depends on the network of Rinpoche, translator, hosts and attendees. Please be kindly patient!

Please note that Tergar Asia will post the Chinese, Korean and Indonesian translations for Rinpoche’s teaching on social media platforms. Please stay tuned and thank you very much!

Fortyeightvows

Re: Mingyur Rinpoche live teaching online

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:55 am

In response to a request from the Tergar Meditation Community, Mingyur Rinpoche will give a live teaching from Nepal on this coming Sunday to support practitioners all over the world.
Here is the link for the English livestream

Starts at 9:00 LA time

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 am

For anyone interested ...
Dharma Response to Coronavirus​

Coronavirus has spread rapidly around the world in only a few months. People infected with coronavirus suffer from mild to serious respiratory illness, and thousands with underlying medical problems have died, causing great anxiety, panic and fear all over the world.

How to deal with the crisis from the Buddhist point of view?

Dharma practices to do for the coronavirus
1. Free "Healing Disturbing Emotions" Course

With the news showing cities and even entire countries shutting down, the sight of empty grocery shelves and overflowing emergency rooms, people are getting caught up in fear, anxiety, anger... All negative emotions spike amongst communities as coronavirus spreads.

It is very important to keep a healthy mindset during this difficult time. We cannot change the world, but we can transform ourselves within by recognising helpful and unhelpful emotions. In order to offer to the world a Dharma practice in this terrible situation, Venerable Gen Namgyel is providing a free online unique course, "Healing Disturbing Emotions".

The 9-week course consists of:

professionally recorded videos of the course shot at Kopan Monastery (approximately one hour per week)

each week a new 30-minute guided meditation for you to repeat daily, and one live two-hour teaching with Venerable Namgyel per week.

It is a precious and complete guide in healing disturbing emotions, and coping with anxiety and fear of death during the coronavirus outbreak. ...
:reading: https://www.venerable-namgyel-online-sangha.com/drc

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Lounge”