Which VPN do you use and why?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Grigoris
Former staff member

Which VPN do you use and why?

Post by Grigoris » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:54 am

Because of the number of restrictions happening recently about which pages you can visit and why, I am considering a VPN program to help me navigate around things since I am an adult and capable of making decisions for myself.

Now there are plenty of them (VPN) out there and each one blows it's own whistle, so I am asking people that use one: Which one do you prefer and why?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Crazywisdom

Re: Which VPN do you use and why?

Post by Crazywisdom » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:20 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:54 am
Because of the number of restrictions happening recently about which pages you can visit and why, I am considering a VPN program to help me navigate around things since I am an adult and capable of making decisions for myself.

Now there are plenty of them (VPN) out there and each one blows it's own whistle, so I am asking people that use one: Which one do you prefer and why?
Tor is secure and free. Onion browser.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Crazywisdom wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:20 pm
Grigoris wrote:

Well...depends on what you’re trying to hide and who you’re trying to hide it from. If you download the tor suite on an identifiable machine you run a high risk of adding yourself to a surveillance list.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nsa-likely-ta ... r-curious/

Generally it’s not a great idea to use tools in excess of what you need, because even if you conceal your traffic you reveal that you have something to hide, which may attract more attention.

tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:48 pm

If your goal is to disable tracking, the best thing to do is booting a machine from a linux live cd (cannot anything be written back).
Or use a USB boot device with ISO filesystem on it with the same linux live cd image.
If you have to have performance, look into the possibility to run this linux cd image entirely loaded to ram.

If you are paranoid, you should apply this solution using different internet providers - once fixnet, once through mobile tethering, or from different public WiFi hotspots. ISO filesystems being read-only, no cookies or trackers will ever survive a reboot.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:43 pm

tatpurusa wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:48 pm
If your goal is to disable tracking, the best thing to do is booting a machine from a linux live cd (cannot anything be written back).
Or use a USB boot device with ISO filesystem on it with the same linux live cd image.
If you have to have performance, look into the possibility to run this linux cd image entirely loaded to ram.

If you are paranoid, you should apply this solution using different internet providers - once fixnet, once through mobile tethering, or from different public WiFi hotspots. ISO filesystems being read-only, no cookies or trackers will ever survive a reboot.
How is this going to mask your ISP?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:43 pm
How is this going to mask your ISP?
It won't. If this is important for you, you should use this solution from public WiFi hotspots. But if they are really after getting you, they still can identify your MAC address.
Spoofing MAC addresses becomes hacker territory ...

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm

he just wants to bypass his ISP's filter

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:52 pm

Tor on phone w a throwaway sim
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:44 pm

Whatever you use I think your own ISP can track your activity, as can the VPN provider and your antivirus provider, and your browser. Of course, some will claim they don't - until they get caught like Avast.
I used Private Internet Access (PIA) but now don't bother and accept that there really is not such thing as privacy on the net.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

kusulu

Post by kusulu » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:50 am

PeterC wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:45 pm
Crazywisdom wrote:
Grigoris wrote:

Well...depends on what you’re trying to hide and who you’re trying to hide it from. If you download the tor suite on an identifiable machine you run a high risk of adding yourself to a surveillance list.

Generally it’s not a great idea to use tools in excess of what you need, because even if you conceal your traffic you reveal that you have something to hide, which may attract more attention.
VPN is good to use because your ISP is tracking what you are using it for, and throttles your bandwidth when you use streaming services. It's also good to protect your medical and financial information from Google, Facebook, and Amazon, that track and log everything you do online. Presumably they sell this information to scammers, as well. So, yeah if you have something to hide (social security numbers, credit card numbers) use the VPN. Try Electronic Freedom Foundation to see what they are recommending currently.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:42 am

kusulu wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:50 am
PeterC wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:45 pm
Crazywisdom wrote:

VPN is good to use because your ISP is tracking what you are using it for, and throttles your bandwidth when you use streaming services. It's also good to protect your medical and financial information from Google, Facebook, and Amazon, that track and log everything you do online. Presumably they sell this information to scammers, as well. So, yeah if you have something to hide (social security numbers, credit card numbers) use the VPN. Try Electronic Freedom Foundation to see what they are recommending currently.
I'm not saying you shouldn't protect your data. I'm extremely paranoid in that regard. I don't use FB products, make only very selective use of Google products, have everything on my phones locked down, have nothing medical or financial within reach of any of these companies, etc. etc.

However a VPN isn't a magic solution for privacy. A lot of your data will get collected even with one. And VPNs themselves, depending on which country you're in, may not be legal or effective. If you're in an environment where these tools aren't legal and effective, then you have to think in terms of alternative means of communication.

But this all depends on the specific task the user is trying to accomplish. It's a bit difficult to recommend tools without knowing that. If it's getting access to Netflix content in a different region, that takes you down one route; if it's fomenting revolution in North Korea, that's a quite different route.

Anyway, we've strayed a long way off Greg's original question. I only use corporate VPNs, haven't bothered with consumer ones.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:48 am

I am not out to overthrow global capitalism (although it wouldn't be a bad idea), I just want to be able to go on youtube (for example) and enjoy a music video without being told that it has been blocked for viewing in my country due to some ridiculous commercial agreement.

jake
Global Moderator

Post by jake » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:49 am

Grigoris wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:48 am
I am not out to overthrow global capitalism (although it wouldn't be a bad idea), I just want to be able to go on youtube (for example) and enjoy a music video without being told that it has been blocked for viewing in my country due to some ridiculous commercial agreement.
ProtonVPN has a free account that's helpful for these kinds of things.

HePo

Post by HePo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:41 am

jake wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:49 am
Grigoris wrote:
I do like and use Protonmail, however the Opera browser has built-in VPN, which makes it a bit simpler to use.
https://www.opera.com/nl/features/free-vpn

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:04 pm

HePo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:41 am
jake wrote:
Grigoris wrote:
I do like and use Protonmail, however the Opera browser has built-in VPN, which makes it a bit simpler to use.
Well, I just tested Opera by trying to access libgen and I was blocked from connecting to the site, so the VPN they have is not very effective.

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 pm

I hope these internet resources might be useful for VPN / overcoming regional restrictions.
Open Source tools tend to require more time for experimentation and setups.
In case VPN does not work, maybe consider using proxy servers too.

https://www.fossmint.com/watch-blocked-youtube-videos/
https://www.fossmint.com/free-proxy-for ... -browsing/
https://www.fossmint.com/create-your-own-vpn-server/

sample VPN softwares: OpenVPN, Freelan, Algo, WireGuard ....etc.

HePo

Post by HePo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:05 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:04 pm
HePo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:41 am
jake wrote:

Well, I just tested Opera by trying to access libgen and I was blocked from connecting to the site, so the VPN they have is not very effective.
Not sure which sites you are trying, i have no problem with https://librarygenesis.net - the other libgen.xx i tried, seem to have been removed or rather 404 Not Found.

I tried all 4 options for VPN also using no VPN and did not encounter any problem.

Below is from the librarygenesis.net site.
=======================================================================
Step 1 – Go to the Library Genesis website
The 3 main addresses of Library Genesis are:

gen.lib.rus.ec

https://libgen.is

http://93.174.95.27 (New for March 2020)

These generally work fine, but if you need an alternative try searching for

“library genesis proxy”

or

“library genesis mirror”
==========================================================================

gen.lib.rus.ec works fine, the others do not!

Return to “Lounge”