Buddhism and Ghosts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Buddhism and Ghosts

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

this is really mostly a theoretical question. Which methods does a buddhist practitioner have when it comes to ghosts (assuming they are real)? Are there any sutras, mantras, practices, objects to get rid of a haunting? Also do you have anyexperiences with paranormal and did dharma help you with that?

My only encounter with "paranormal" was a sleep paralysis. I used to get it semi-regularly and at first it was really spooky, however with time I have discovered that mani mantra helps and with more tedious and stubborn cases vajra guru mantra does the trick. So that is it if it can be called "paranormal".
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Danny

Re: Buddhism and Ghosts

Post by Danny »

Many years ago I became aware of a “ghost” in an apartment I was renting. I got the impression that it was just curious as to what I was doing related to my practice at that time. It wasn’t naughty or frightening or anything like that, so becoming aware of that, I did something for it and it simply went away. Never came back. Looking back on that time, can’t really say it was a ghost, more like a sad presence in one specific corner of the apartment.currently where I am now, there’s another corner of the garden at the back of house , again is one of those situations where the energy is “off” so if I do say make a torma And put it outside, I place it there for the animals and whatever is in that corner, it’s where most negatives come from. Or I should qualify that and say I’m aware that is the direction that negativity will arise from.
Last edited by Danny on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

The Āṭānāṭiya Protection

Āṭānāṭiya Sutta - DN 32

Mighty spirits hold a congregation, and warn the Buddha that, since not all spirits are friendly, the mendicants should learn verses of protection.

https://suttacentral.net/dn32/en/sujato

Ghosts of the Mountain - Mae Chee Kaew
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=26304

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Danny wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:57 am Many years ago I became aware of a “ghost” in an apartment I was renting. I got the impression that it was just curious as to what I was doing related to my practice at that time. It wasn’t naughty or frightening or anything like that, so becoming aware of that, I did something for it and it simply went away. Never came back. Looking back on that time, can’t really say it was a ghost, more like a sad presence in one specific corner of the apartment.currently where I am now, there’s another corner of the garden at the back of house , again is one of those situations where the energy is “off” so if I do say make a torma And put it outside, I place it there for the animals and whatever is in that corner, it’s where most negatives come from. Or I should qualify that and say I’m aware that is the direction that negativity will arise from.
Thanks for sharing that! This is a cool experience. I figure that sang and torma offerings would be extremely useful in this context.

Once I listened to Chaphur Rinpoche teach on chöd and he mentioned that once a couple called him into their house because they believed it was haunted. He went to one corner that was bit dark and did chöd in there. Afterwards the corner became lighter. He himself thought that it might have been just the couple being too worried.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Danny

Post by Danny »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:50 pm

Thanks for sharing that! This is a cool experience. I figure that sang and torma offerings would be extremely useful in this context.

Once I listened to Chaphur Rinpoche teach on chöd and he mentioned that once a couple called him into their house because they believed it was haunted. He went to one corner that was bit dark and did chöd in there. Afterwards the corner became lighter. He himself thought that it might have been just the couple being too worried.
Torma is not for anything specific, more just a general idea of maybe something will find it of benefit, maybe some relief for a moment or two.
Just simple, made of butter and flour, nothing fancy or complicated. Maybe just some harmony for a bit. I agree with the other aspect about the worrying part. Totally reasonable and rational
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 pm Hi,

this is really mostly a theoretical question. Which methods does a buddhist practitioner have when it comes to ghosts (assuming they are real)? Are there any sutras, mantras, practices, objects to get rid of a haunting? Also do you have anyexperiences with paranormal and did dharma help you with that?

My only encounter with "paranormal" was a sleep paralysis. I used to get it semi-regularly and at first it was really spooky, however with time I have discovered that mani mantra helps and with more tedious and stubborn cases vajra guru mantra does the trick. So that is it if it can be called "paranormal".
next time radiate metta from center of chest during sleep paralysis and thank me later
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:12 pm

next time radiate metta from center of chest during sleep paralysis and thank me later
:coffee:

Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Back when I was an immature middle schooler engaging in the occult and ended up taking part in the “you know who spirit” cult before leaving, I became quite terrified of all these nonsensical notions of spirits, demons, and the like, further deluding myself to superstition rather than gaining anything out of it. I began reciting various dharanis (13 Blazing Wheel; Ratana Sutta; Karaniya Metta Sutta without actually understanding the core message of it that I thought I understood; Mantra to Stop Spirit Harm from the Sorrowless Sūtra; etc.) and doing different sadhanas without empowerment cope with it and try to remove spirit influence (Vajrasattva, Guru Dragphur, Simhamukha, etc.). Chöd wasn’t much help (though that may be due to not having a teacher and coming up with my own interpretation based on reading others’ experience and teachings) and I still remained paranoid. In the midst of desperation, I also turned to the dharmapalas and wrathful deities without permission based on an idea I was taught in the cult that we should do protector practices and can do their practices without empowerment since they’re compassionate (though that may’ve pissed the worldly protectors such as the Tenma and the wisdom ones like Palden Lhamo off as my practices weren’t in line with the teachings and more off of pride). This lasted through my freshman and sophomore year.

Eventually, I started trying to take things seriously and attempted to avoid past mistakes and gradually withdrew from obsessing with practices, though still had the same fear. Quarantine was a major blessing in that I finally was able to meet my lama for the first time by Zoom and after some months of following his instructions and sticking with the basics, I’ve noticed my perception of superstition and all the mundane spirit stuff to have decreased. So in my opinion, the teacher has been the greatest benefit to it.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Tenma wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:29 pm Back when I was an immature middle schooler engaging in the occult and ended up taking part in the “you know who spirit” cult before leaving, I became quite terrified of all these nonsensical notions of spirits, demons, and the like, further deluding myself to superstition rather than gaining anything out of it. I began reciting various dharanis (13 Blazing Wheel; Ratana Sutta; Karaniya Metta Sutta without actually understanding the core message of it that I thought I understood; Mantra to Stop Spirit Harm from the Sorrowless Sūtra; etc.) and doing different sadhanas without empowerment cope with it and try to remove spirit influence (Vajrasattva, Guru Dragphur, Simhamukha, etc.). Chöd wasn’t much help (though that may be due to not having a teacher and coming up with my own interpretation based on reading others’ experience and teachings) and I still remained paranoid. In the midst of desperation, I also turned to the dharmapalas and wrathful deities without permission based on an idea I was taught in the cult that we should do protector practices and can do their practices without empowerment since they’re compassionate (though that may’ve pissed the worldly protectors such as the Tenma and the wisdom ones like Palden Lhamo off as my practices weren’t in line with the teachings and more off of pride). This lasted through my freshman and sophomore year.

Eventually, I started trying to take things seriously and attempted to avoid past mistakes and gradually withdrew from obsessing with practices, though still had the same fear. Quarantine was a major blessing in that I finally was able to meet my lama for the first time by Zoom and after some months of following his instructions and sticking with the basics, I’ve noticed my perception of superstition and all the mundane spirit stuff to have decreased. So in my opinion, the teacher has been the greatest benefit to it.
Glad to hear that Tenma! :twothumbsup:

SonamTashi

Post by SonamTashi »

At one point I was working nights and I was having trouble sleeping, so I took some Benadryl to see if that would help. I ended up having several episodes of sleep paralysis, which I had never had before. Apparently this is a not-unheard-of side effect of using Benadryl and other antihistamines as a sleep aid. Anyway, I did a protector practice and quit using the Benadryl, and I haven't had any episodes since. I'd like to think my practice helped, but I think not using the Benadryl is what did the trick.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b »

The cat used to jump on my bed. First instance of sleep paralysis was not good even though the cat was ordinary.

my CAT had died and I was scared and it was integrating so with the purring and the footsteps there was fur coming over my body.

Once I stop resisting the furriness increased, and that was all.

Ghost experience was a bit boring actually! :thumbsup: (but also scary) :(
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 pm

My son got sleep paralysis twice , it was creepy - but he was far from thinking of ghosts. He regarded it as a phenomenon of his nervous system and he found out it increases by anxiety and it ceases when he calmes down.
He got sleeping paralysis in a situation when he was physically exhausted and mentally excited.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Ayu wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:34 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 pm

My son got sleep paralysis twice , it was creepy - but he was far from thinking of ghosts. He regarded it as a phenomenon of his nervous system and he found out it increases by anxiety and it ceases when he calmes down.
He got sleeping paralysis in a situation when he was physically exhausted and mentally excited.
Oh yes, sleep paralysis is like that. I have experienced some cases where I know it was mostly caused one way or another by outer conditions like sleeping in a strange room etc. However few times I was unable to find an explanation, it does not mean there are none. But you know.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I assume, trying to regard it as the result of ghost activity, (an outer "real form of existence" ) could possibly manifest it more than necessary. It gives the phenomenon of sleep paralysis too much power. It is only a phenomenon that can be observed and it needs no explanation for letting it go.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Return to “Lounge”