Questionnaire about life for academic purposes

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
halos

Questionnaire about life for academic purposes

Post by halos »

Hello everyone,
I am currently collecting views about life, solely for academic purposes. I would really be grateful if any of you could answer the questions below. It doesn't matter if it's short or lengthy as long as they display your own thoughts and views. Thank you!

1. How would you define happiness?
2. What qualities make a person successful in life?
3. What qualities make a person a good person?
4. Are there any absolute or objective standards of right and wrong? If so, what are they?
5. At this point, what is the highest priority of your life?
6. If someone asked you to explain to them your philosophy of life (what you live by), what would you say? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?
7. What is your view concerning the existence of God or the nature of ultimate reality? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?
8. In your view, what is the most basic or fundamental human problem?
9. Is there a solution to the most basic human problem? If so, what is it?
10. What question do you most wish you could answer in your life?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Questionnaire about life for academic purposes

Post by Ayu »

Hint: Check as well, if you get some answers via private message.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

1. How would you define happiness?
1. Difficult, because you can't catch happiness. Therefore it's dificult to define. Could be a moment of creativity, a moment of satisfaction, a moment if something happened you've been waiting for very long.

2. I personally define success as the opportunity to develop one's personal talents. Someone who doesn't destroy himself, heal himself can be regarded as successful. Parents who raise good Children are successful. Success has way more aspects than making money.
Developing one's mind and developing a good heart can be the biggest success. It's a matter of perspective. And also a matter of where the person is coming from. It can be a great success to have a small flat, a small job and few friends - if the person e.g. lived as homeless before.

3. Empathy, a good heart, and a bit of endurance.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

4. Are there any absolute or objective standards of right and wrong? If so, what are they?
6. If someone asked you to explain to them your philosophy of life (what you live by), what would you say? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?
4. Yes and no. That's too long to elaborate for me now.

5. Most important: just keep on trucking. Keeping confident in good things to come.

6. The saying "Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved." fits quite good to my way how I observe this life. Because life is a miracle. Things don't happen like they are expected. That is sad sometimes but often way better things happen than anybody could imagine before.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

7. What is your view concerning the existence of God or the nature of ultimate reality? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?
7. This is a difficult question in a Buddhist forum. God is no Buddhist term. I can't say, if something like God exists or not. Sometimes I think it must be something beyond speach. Beyond name, But IDK. I'm busy with buddhist practice, havn't met God yet and can't really say anything about him.
But I'm sure, that a universe full of things that I don't know exists. Or maybe everything is only within our minds, as some scientists in physics argue. :shrug:

8. Greed. Hate. And a lack of wisdom.

9. IDK. I wait and observe. :popcorn:

10. How to drag people out of their misery?
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

1. A state where you desire nothing.
2. Being able to meet one's goals.
3. Compassion, empathy.
4. Yes, compassion. An action is wrong if it causes suffering. An action is right is it relieves suffering. An action is evil if it intentionally causes suffering. Some actions may be neither right nor wrong, or both somewhat right and somewhat wrong. Hence the complexity of living morally.
5. Being a good, authentic person.
6. Be a good person. Pay attention to science.
7. I actively disbelieve in a creator. A creator, as God is usually defined, has to inherently exist. (Otherwise, what is the cause of God?) Buddhist doctrine, with which I agree, says that anything that exists conventionally (i.e. lacking inherent existence) must be created by causes that also lack inherent existence. Which rules out an inherently-existing God. Lesser gods, who are not creators, might or might not exist. I am agnostic on that.
8. Ignorance.
9. Education, meditation.
10. How do you educate the ignorant?

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Oh, officer Starling, do you think you can dissect us with this blunt little tool?
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

halos wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:14 am 1. How would you define happiness?
A pipe dream and a cause of unnecessary problems
Not his/her qualities, but applying them in a suitable environment.
A combination of accepting his/her limitations and self improvement.
Depending on a recognized authority. For Buddhists, the five precepts are objective standards of right and wrong.
Nothing i can think of.
I prefer not to interpret my life and actions through the lens of a particular philosophy. I am a wild goose, not a domestic one.
Interesting issues that we go through during our personal development. They no longer interest me, or at least, not as much as before.
Having too much faith in solutions.
Your question represents the problem: too much faith in solutions.
Not sure. Even if incidentally meet the Buddha, i do not know what to ask him.
The cleverest defenders of faith are its greatest enemies: for their subtleties engender doubt and stimulate the mind. -- Will Durant
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg »

halos wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:14 am 1. How would you define happiness?
More or less

What's successful? Generally, though...

Kindness
Diligence
Responsibility
Patience
Perseverance
Energetic Effort
Conscientiousness
Etc.
Being good.
Nothing is objective.
Live well.
Be kind. Don't be a dick. Happiness is mutually dependent, social experience. Can't get there if some people are being jerks or some people are left out.
God is a bogeyman. Ultimate Reality is unobtainable. I think this because this describes my experience.
Fear.
Overcome fear.
What question should I ask?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Return to “Lounge”