Scientists Have 'Woken Up' Microbes Trapped Under The Seafloor For 100 Million Years

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
javier.espinoza.t

Scientists Have 'Woken Up' Microbes Trapped Under The Seafloor For 100 Million Years

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

from
https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists ... -years/amp
"At first I was sceptical, but we found that up to 99.1 percent of the microbes in sediment deposited 101.5 million years ago were still alive and were ready to eat,"
a scientist says about the research of his team on this microbiological activity.

¿are microbes sentient beings?

some buddhists say bacteria might, but not viruses, etc.
othera say none, and others both, etc.

what do you think?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Scientists Have 'Woken Up' Microbes Trapped Under The Seafloor For 100 Million Years

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Sutras mention beings “born or moisture”.
I don’t know about India, but in Europe, prior to the invention of microscopes, it was once believed that life could simply sort of pop up out of dampness or fog or condensation
Be kind.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Scientists Have 'Woken Up' Microbes Trapped Under The Seafloor For 100 Million Years

Post by Kim O'Hara »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:13 pm Scientists Have 'Woken Up' Microbes Trapped Under The Seafloor For 100 Million Years

from
https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists ... -years/amp
"At first I was sceptical, but we found that up to 99.1 percent of the microbes in sediment deposited 101.5 million years ago were still alive and were ready to eat,"
a scientist says about the research of his team on this microbiological activity.
Brilliant science!
¿are microbes sentient beings?

some buddhists say bacteria might, but not viruses, etc.
othera say none, and others both, etc.

what do you think?
I think not.
If you wanted to put them on a scale from "sentient" to "non-sentient", I think microbes are less sentient than plants.

:namaste:
Kim
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

How do they know these are not pathogenic?
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:13 pm what do you think?
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

"...and were ready to eat" ?? These must be some hungry scientists. I usually prefer my food to be a bit fresher than 100 million years old. Though those McDonalds' burgers may well have been frozen that long, who knows.. :shrug:
javier.espinoza.t

Matt J wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:03 pm How do they know these are not pathogenic?
i think they don't. it is the same as for anrtic/antartic bacteria, they are taking a look.

--

i think microbes don't have mind. this are like plants.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

The point is, before we activate the next super-virus, shouldn't we be thinking about this stuff?

Back before the first nuclear explosion, there was a theoretical chance that the chain reaction would make the world uninhabitable. But we plugged ahead anyway.
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:09 pm
Matt J wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:03 pm How do they know these are not pathogenic?
i think they don't. it is the same as for anrtic/antartic bacteria, they are taking a look.

--

"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
javier.espinoza.t

Matt J wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:17 am The point is, before we activate the next super-virus, shouldn't we be thinking about this stuff?

Back before the first nuclear explosion, there was a theoretical chance that the chain reaction would make the world uninhabitable. But we plugged ahead anyway.
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:09 pm

--

true, but in the other hand, tomorrow a meteor can hit us and game over.

we have absolutely no guarantee of anything.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Dan74 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:34 pm These must be some hungry scientists. I usually prefer my food to be a bit fresher than 100 million years old.
:jumping: :rolling: :jumping:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Matt J wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:17 am

people thought that if a train went through a tunnel all the air would be pushed out and they would suffocate..
trying to find this tidbit on google i came across this tidbit of human insanity

Early Trains Were Thought to Make Women’s Uteruses Fly Out

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/678 ... es-fly-out
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:46 am

true, but in the other hand, tomorrow a meteor can hit us and game over.
This is why we need to create big mirrors in space far enough away to still reflect the earth and safely fool the asteroid .

But then all that broken glass could hurt someone not to mention the bad luck.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

I wasn't going to add to the silliness - truly! - but then I saw this and couldn't resist.

:coffee:
Kim

petri-fied.jpg
petri-fied.jpg (78.41 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:51 am I wasn't going to add to the silliness - truly! - but then I saw this and couldn't resist.

:coffee:
Kim

petri-fied.jpg
:rolling:
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Hope its not covid like thing
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

I'm sure this has been the plot of some sci-fi-horror novel or film...

(Smilla's Sense of Snow? The Thing??)
Varis

Post by Varis »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:13 pm ¿are microbes sentient beings?
Whether or not microbes are sentient beings used to be a topic of debate between Buddhists and Jains. IIRC Buddhists argued they were not.
Working in the Biology field, I hope they're not, as that would cause all sorts of issues in regards to right livelihood.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

as that would cause all sorts of issues in regards to right livelihood.
It would cause all kinds of issues with existing.

Return to “Lounge”