Cheap 1 acre?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Cheap 1 acre?

Post by kirtu »

adinatha wrote:
kirtu wrote:
adinatha wrote:I highly recommend the southern Oregon high desert. Cheapest land around. 280 days of sun per year. It's semi-arid so it does get rain and snow. The air up there is amazing crisp and cool. Not too much farming up there so you don't get too much dust and chemical spray. Nice yogi place.
Where would you suggest that I check out land offerings? LandsOfAmerica.com and LandWatch.com don't seem to have listings from that region (frankly I was not aware that the high desert extended into Oregon).

Thanks!

Kirt
Oregon has its own high plateau. Just google property in the Oregon high desert. You will see there are websites that list property up there. You can seriously get one acre for a few thousand dollars.
I did find some listings for 1 acre for a few thousand. I need it cheaper than that if possible. I can find an acre in west Texas or a couple of places in Arizona for ~$500 - however I used to live near those sites and I definitely know the physical conditions there and am trying to avoid that.

It may be that I have to just set the bar to a few thousand. But for that I could also buy a year in Nepal ....

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Cheap 1 acre?

Post by kirtu »

In effect I want to just do that on my own land rather than BLM land. I'd like to just pitch a yurt or a tipi. The problem I'm running into is that in many places county regulations dictate that one add a septic tank once one builds. Septic tanks can cost a lot of money and alternatives like composting toilets are not valid. There is also a minimum acreage of about 2-2.5 acres for a septic tank.

Zoning regulations are a patchwork and there is no central collective repository of this information online.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Lounge”