Borderline Personality Disorder & Dialectical Behavior Ther

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DGA
Former staff member

Borderline Personality Disorder & Dialectical Behavior Ther

Post by DGA »

...that's supposed to be Dialectical Behavior Therapy in the topic line. It's a form of psychotherapy that was devised to treat Borderline personality disorder. It involves mindfulness practice (which seems to be a euphemism for meditation without Buddhism as such). Details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectica ... or_therapy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm wondering if this is helpful for people. If you've been around those who suffer from this condition, you'll understand right away how difficult it can be. Thoughts?
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder & Dialectical Behavior Ther

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

all i can tell you is...before i studied buddhism i was seeing a psychiatrist and was being treated for depression (on & off throught the years.) I finally got fed up with the system and lack of real help i recieved. I followed my heart and searched for answers...which led me to Buddhism. Since I have studied & recieved a teacher in Buddhism I have not had the need to see a doctor...nor have I had real issues with depression (like before). But whenever I slip back and ignore Buddhist practice...the depression and other emotional problems creep back.

I was diagnosed with Boarderline Personality Disorder almost 15 years ago. (I peeked inside my chart when the doctor stepped out of the room.)
Lately I've been really having lots of issues...because my practice is faltering...and I am losing contact with my teacher.....

I am now obsessed with thoughts about aliens controlling my mind....and I worry how much they are controlling everything on Earth.....
I read a lot about this subject.
Taking refuge is my only relief...but I wonder about this too...if it is a game the aliens are playing with my mind.

My teacher has always been kind to me...and has never made me feel like an idiot. He has been my only true friend.

Om Mani Padme Hum......
ball-of-string

Post by ball-of-string »

Yes, it is helpful. "Evidence Based". The client needs to be committed to making changes, i.e. "My life is in chaos and I don't want to live like this anymore.

The author, Marsha Linahan, recently disclosed that she herself lived with BPD. She is a Zen practitioner, and her practice helped her to achieve emotional stability. DBT is based a lot on her interpretations of Zen.

Send me a PM if you want to know more about it.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:27 pm I was diagnosed with Boarderline Personality Disorder
I do NOT have BPD. I asked my doctor about this a few years ago......it was a mistake on my part, misconstruing something i read in my chart...that i quickly peeked in for a few seconds :spy:

Just saw this, and wanted to clear that up .

I'm just borderline crazy...that's all... :jumping:
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

I've mainly learned about BPD because I think someone close to me may have it -- but not being a licensed therapist or anything, I obviously can't say for sure and I think it may be something else, and either way it is probably useless to worry about exactly what they have, if anything.

Anyway, one thing I've heard over and over again while learning about this is that BPD is incredibly difficult to treat, especially because most people with BDP are unwilling to seek treatment or admit anything is wrong. As far as those who do seek treatment, I have no idea how effective it is.

I've heard about DBT though, and I definitely see the parallels to Buddhism. It seems to be well regarded, so I guess it is probably pretty effective once the person with BDP is willing to seek help.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

Return to “Lounge”