Hotei at your nearest dollar store.

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Distorted

Hotei at your nearest dollar store.

Post by Distorted » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:55 am

I was at this awesome dollar store today down the street from me. I was looking for a usb cord and by golly I found one. On the way to the register some miniature Hindu statues caught my eye. I stopped and took a look at them curious of their detail. As I started walking away from them and I walked into the land of Hotei miniatures. I looked at them and picked one with a bag. It is very small roughly looks like this one...

I bought the mini

I am sure most of seen these in different colors. When I approached the cash register I had asked if there was a Shakyamuni Buddha miniature available. He said he had some a while ago but he does no have it now. So I looked on the internet I figured there is so many Hotei miniature statue's there had to be many Shakyamuni miniatures. I found I was wrong. I did find some smallish Shakyamuni statues they cost four times the amount of the mini Hotei statue. I thought this was interesting so I looked on more sites. I found the same results.

Is this because many people think Hotei is Shakyamuni and so they massed produced these small guys? No?

Sure would like to find mini's of Shakyamuni Buddha, anyone know were online they have any?
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."

catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Hotei at your nearest dollar store.

Post by catmoon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:31 am

I keep getting these little Hotei-s as gifts. It seemed that he is firmly fixed in the North American mind as THE Buddha.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:47 pm

catmoon wrote:It seemed that he is firmly fixed in the North American mind as THE Buddha.
It also seems like he's fixed as the Buddha of Chinese restaurants. :shrug:
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead

Distorted

Post by Distorted » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:53 pm

My mother had one in the 70's it stayed in two houses they lived in over that period of time. I have seen them in the Chinese restaurants for sure. China town sells them in most of the shops but I rarely see Shakyamuni.

This is as close as I could get to finding mini Shakyamuni on the internet.

:?

:buddha1:
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."

do_not_zzz

Post by do_not_zzz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:01 am

Bonsai Doug wrote:
catmoon wrote:It seemed that he is firmly fixed in the North American mind as THE Buddha.
It also seems like he's fixed as the Buddha of Chinese restaurants. :shrug:
This made me laugh! We have a couple of local restaurants here that sell these by the dozens. Hotei always does put a smile on my face; in particular the story about Hotei living in the village after all of the men had gone to war. :)

Metta,
dnz

plwk

Post by plwk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 am

It seemed that he is firmly fixed in the North American mind as THE Buddha.
And coming soon... Image

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:18 am

plwk wrote: And coming soon... Image
Actually I see these Daruma cats much more than Hotei in DC.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Bhavana

Post by Bhavana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 pm

haha, every asian restaurant in my area has the Maneki Neko - Lucky Cat? I like some versions of him, but not the big ugly plastic ones the restaurants plop next to the cash register.

Distorted

Post by Distorted » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:39 pm

I was eating at one of my favorite Chinese restaurants today. I was facing toward the register and I could not look at the big statue of Hotei without thinking of this thread. I still have not found any Shakyamuni Buddha mini's. I guess Chinatown would be my next stop when I get the chance.

Return to “Lounge”