At what point Bodhisattvas enter the pure land

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jhanapeacock

At what point Bodhisattvas enter the pure land

Post by jhanapeacock »

At what point in the bodhisattva carrer he is reborn in a pure land/pure buddhafield? So let´s say they don´t make the aspiration to be reborn in sukhavati, rather, they stay in the triple realm making accoumulations and practicing the paramitas, at what point they are reborn in the pure land? path of seeing? eight bhumi?
TrimePema

Re: At what point Bodhisattvas enter the pure land

Post by TrimePema »

jhanapeacock wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 pm At what point in the bodhisattva carrer he is reborn in a pure land/pure buddhafield? So let´s say they don´t make the aspiration to be reborn in sukhavati, rather, they stay in the triple realm making accoumulations and practicing the paramitas, at what point they are reborn in the pure land? path of seeing? eight bhumi?
This is all my opinion...

why would you make the aspiration to "stay" instead of going to the pure lands and progressing the paths and stages much faster? This would indicate a lack of bodhichitta. Why stay in samsaric realms instead of moving to one without any suffering where there is only dharma?

For sukhavati, one doesnt need to be at the bhumis. For other realms, they are restricted access for only certain attainments.

This is all with the caveat that the bodhisattva in question already has developed the commitment of the shepherd.
jhanapeacock

Post by jhanapeacock »

Sukhavati is not the only option, i have read that there are bodhisattvas that prefer to stay in the desire realm, why? i dont know, but there should be reasons. However, my concern is at what point in the bodhisattva career he is reborn in a pureland beyond the triple realm until he reach buddhahood in akanistha ghanavyuha.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

at the point when emanations can be disposed (?)

afaik, single emanation of the boddhisattva occurs after becoming a buddha, at his mahaparinirvana, and in the mean time emanations come and go so practically a 10th ground boddhi buddy can be in almost every corner and pure realm gathering merits and doing things.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

jhanapeacock wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:14 am Sukhavati is not the only option, i have read that there are bodhisattvas that prefer to stay in the desire realm, why? i dont know, but there should be reasons. However, my concern is at what point in the bodhisattva career he is reborn in a pureland beyond the triple realm until he reach buddhahood in akanistha ghanavyuha.
Can you please give a quote to what you are referring to?

I believe I know what you mean and that you have misunderstood this, but maybe I've misunderstood.
Bodhisattvas emanate to the desire realm - from the pure realms. When people say "I will remain in samsara until samsara ends" it means something different than taking rebirth as a limited or ordinary being... for Arya bodhisattvas it doesn't matter where they are born. For ordinary beings there is no reason you would ever stay in desire realm instead of going to the pure buddhafields...

Pure realms also occur on an inner level. That is the main part you need to know.

So the answer to your question has many parts:

1. There are nonarya and arya bodhisattvas. Nonarya bodhisattvas have not reached the first bhumi.
2. Having not reached the first bhumi, the aspiration is to go to a pure land where there is no suffering and only dharma, so one may reach the bhumis there. One practices the 6 paramitas until the merit to be reborn in sukhavati or another non-bhumi restricted pure land is accumulated.
3. Having reached the first bhumi, a bodhisattva gains the power to have emanations and these emanations will "remain in samsara until samsara ends" to carry out "oceans of activity for the benefit of all beings".
So, a nonarya bodhisattva goes to the pure lands when they have accumulated the merit to do so. An arya bodhisattva likewise "remains in samsara until samsara ends" and engages in "oceans of activity for the benefit of all beings" when they have the power to do so.
AND
Having reached the first bhumi, the arya bodhisattva abides within the inner pure land dharmakaya.

This is my understanding, anyway.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”