Precept against killing living things

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
bocaj123

Precept against killing living things

Post by bocaj123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm

I’m going to Thailand soon to meditate. I think it’s important that I protect myself from mosquito bites while I’m there, so I would like to buy clothes treated with permethrin. However, mosquitos that land on these clothes will likely be killed by the chemical. So does buying and wearing these clothes break the precept against killing living things? Thank you.

Tenma

Re: Precept against killing living things

Post by Tenma » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:27 pm

bocaj123 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm
I’m going to Thailand soon to meditate. I think it’s important that I protect myself from mosquito bites while I’m there, so I would like to buy clothes treated with permethrin. However, mosquitos that land on these clothes will likely be killed by the chemical. So does buying and wearing these clothes break the precept against killing living things? Thank you.
Burn some incense around you or orange peels. It honestly works.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: Precept against killing living things

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 pm

bocaj123 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm
If your intention is to deter them, and they fly to it of their own volition, then no.
I have used DEET in the past in India and it is very effective.
Use a deterrent all day if there is Dengue as well as Malaria where you are going.
If there is neither and you are just trying to avoid bites, consider a non-lethal deterrent like tea tree oil. Incense also helps.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”