Tibetan vs a Chinese sutra's 5 acts of immediate retribution

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
JKhedrup

Re: Tibetan vs. Ven. Hsuan Hua's Acts of Immediate Retribut

Post by JKhedrup »

That has its own thread. There is no need to debate it again here.
Agreed, I was interested in how two different lists of the 5 Acts could arise, not in a discussion of social issues (that already happened).

Master Hua was a fine teacher and I have great respect for the discipline and diligence in his community. We have a tendency in the west to completely write someone off because of one thing they said that we don't agree with, rather than seeing them as a complex figure with various characteristics. (the threads on Pabongkhapa tend to go in this direction too).

Also Master Hua was a product of a different time and place, and in some ways very open-minded if you look at how he dealt with Westerners, for example. I would argue no other eminent figure in Chinese Buddhism has thus far been as open and committed to training Westerners as he was.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Re: Tibetan vs. a Unique sutra's Acts of Immediate Retribut

Post by Adamantine »

Will wrote:Since it has become clear now that it was not "Ven. Hsuan Hua's Acts", but a unique sutra's rendering, could the thread title be changed?
Ok, done, but note that the title on individual prior postings will reflect the previous title.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
yan kong

Re: Tibetan vs. Ven. Hsuan Hua's Acts of Immediate Retribut

Post by yan kong »

JKhedrup wrote:
Master Hua was a fine teacher and I have great respect for the discipline and diligence in his community. We have a tendency in the west to completely write someone off because of one thing they said that we don't agree with, rather than seeing them as a complex figure with various characteristics. (the threads on Pabongkhapa tend to go in this direction too).

Also Master Hua was a product of a different time and place, and in some ways very open-minded if you look at how he dealt with Westerners, for example. I would argue no other eminent figure in Chinese Buddhism has thus far been as open and committed to training Westerners as he was.

He certainly was a direct Master, very frank and to the point which I think is useful in some circumstances, saying that I don't agree with everything he said.

According to his Autobiography Master Sheng Yen's efforts were paying off in New York but then his Master gave him his monastery in Taiwan and he felt obliged to return. The result is that his community in the U.S. did not grow quite as quickly.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”