Obstacles to Bodhicitta

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Josef

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by Josef »

Konchog1 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:41 am I've been working on Bodhicitta for a while but it seems like I keep hitting a wall.

I have the same problem with Emptiness, but over time and repeated meditations I keep pushing the wall back.

With Bodhicitta the wall doesn't move at all. I follow the Lam Rim method (love->compassion->personal responsibility etc.) and I can generate some. But my ability doesn't improve and the Bodhicitta doesn't get stronger.

Any advice?
Not sure if it has already been mentioned here but the the starting meditation for the four immeasurables is equanimity, followed by love etc..
By first establishing all beings as being at least equal to oneself the other immeasurables follow authentically. This is dealt with in detail in The Words of My Perfect teacher, which is arguably the best resource on bodhicitta available in English, or Tibetan for that matter.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”