Obstacles to Bodhicitta

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
WeiHan
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by WeiHan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:07 am

I was contemplating opening a new thread on sharing ways, verses and methods that help in developing bodhicitta and found this old thread.

As Konchog has said, the standard method to generate bodhicitta is 7 points cause and effect instruction. This instruction starts with recognition of all beings as our mothers in many previous lives and had been kind to us. The instruction maybe short but definitely full generation of genuine compassion, bodhicitta is not expected to be smooth sail. We inadvertently stumbled into obstacles and progress seems limited for a long time. That justifies sharing of small details in the practices that may works for some people. Of course, different methods works slightly differently for different people.

For me, I find some verses that strike a cord in my heart very handy and useful. It almost immediately generates great compassion for most beings. I am constantly on the lookout for such verses with imageries that immediately arouse my feeling of compassion. I guess everybody is different and so requires different imageries.

One such verse that works for me is below. I don't know why. the word "helpless", "old age" and imagery of bees (mothers) circling around in a bottle arouse my compassion.

==
The three existences burn with pain of old age and sickness
Here, in this endless, excruciating, helpless state,
they remain ignorant of the way out of existence, like bees circling around inside of a bottle.

==

WeiHan
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by WeiHan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:20 am

Maybe [horrific] images will facilitate the arousal of compassion. After compassion is arouse, it can then be worked on to include other beings that after careful reflection are indeed all in similar situations. I like Nyala pema duddul saying that every time he saw a being, spontaneously the thought " this is samsara!" arise accompanied by compassion.
Last edited by Grigoris on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary distressing image

User avatar
Wayfarer
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:49 am

Awful photograph.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki-roshi

muni
Posts: 4434
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by muni » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:01 am

This poor one need immediately medical care and those responsible, in case it was no accident, lock these beasts up out of compassion. They need help!

Knowing life is dream, Compassion is the light to wake up, shining through it.
May all beings have happiness and the cause of happiness.
May they be free of suffering and the cause of suffering.
May they never be disassociated from the supreme happiness which is without suffering.
May they remain in the boundless equanimity, free from both attachment to close ones and rejection of others.

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Konchog1 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:41 am
I've been working on Bodhicitta for a while but it seems like I keep hitting a wall.

I have the same problem with Emptiness, but over time and repeated meditations I keep pushing the wall back.

With Bodhicitta the wall doesn't move at all. I follow the Lam Rim method (love->compassion->personal responsibility etc.) and I can generate some. But my ability doesn't improve and the Bodhicitta doesn't get stronger.

Any advice?
wich path are you walkig through? Mahayana? Vajrayana?

Edit: in any case, emptiness should go first, first!. Boddhicitta without emptiness knowledge as it's cause is just a delution. It comes naturally.

If you don't make progress in emptiness knowledge, change the method, change the path, etc. until you have no doubt about it. Putting restriction on this essential knowledge/experience is a nonsense. Then you might forgot it, might distract, might ..anything, but you know, and can remember how is real the real condition, and that's enough.

One thing people playing in mahaya/vajrayana don't know, or are not told, that boddhicitta cannot be builded, not even through a 'thought-system'. Philosophies are fancy, but can't create a reality.

This i can tell from my own walk on this issue.

User avatar
Nyedrag Yeshe
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:06 am
Location: Brazil

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:48 pm

One aspect that helped me with Bodhicitta, is Atisha's approach on it by generating and cultivating it in "stages".
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

WeiHan
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by WeiHan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:48 pm
One aspect that helped me with Bodhicitta, is Atisha's approach on it by generating and cultivating it in "stages".
This is the standard method and is, to different extent, effective for most people. It involves first meditating on equanimity, follow by recognising all sentient beings as mothers in one's previous lives, follow by a responsibility to repay their kindness, then loving kindness for all beings and so forth. In standard teachings, there is a suggested standard reasoning. However, for some people, the thought that all mother sentient beings are suffering in all six realms including hell, hungry ghost etc..is abit theoretical and won't arouse compassion or kindness quickly. I have suggested using images to aid the process and have posted pictures of suffering animals that were deem too distressing for some people and were removed. So, i put it in words instead for people who think it may help them and may want to try it.

Relative bodhicitta is so important that most masters in Tibet have taught (I read from chinese translations) that without it, purification of karma even when using Vajrasattva with 4 opponents is slow in effect, without it accumulating merit even with mandala offering is slow. But with it, even sleeping is a purification and accumulation of vast merit is quick. Asanga's example of having compassion for the crippled dog purifies all his remaining obscuration for seeing Meitreya was a good example.

User avatar
DiamondMeru
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by DiamondMeru » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am

What if the block to Bodhicitta is a simple biological one, the female brain is more developed in the limbic system of emotions where compassion can be exercised. The male brain is underdeveloped in emotions, but not in gay men. This might be some people are meant to be more compassionate biologically. If it is a fact of biology, perhaps it needs to be exercised to develop. Also if you have not received compassion maybe it is harder to practice unless you are around compassionate people.
I have experienced great love from the Medicine Buddha practice that makes me feel great compassion for Tibet and Buddhists in general because they discovered and revealed these teachings for the world to receive healing and love. That practice brought me to tears with love. I don’t know if that is bodhicitta, but it seems like the compassion is the main goal.

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 16697
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by Grigoris » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:54 am

DiamondMeru wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am
What if the block to Bodhicitta is a simple biological one, the female brain is more developed in the limbic system of emotions where compassion can be exercised. The male brain is underdeveloped in emotions, but not in gay men. This might be some people are meant to be more compassionate biologically. If it is a fact of biology, perhaps it needs to be exercised to develop. Also if you have not received compassion maybe it is harder to practice unless you are around compassionate people.
I have experienced great love from the Medicine Buddha practice that makes me feel great compassion for Tibet and Buddhists in general because they discovered and revealed these teachings for the world to receive healing and love. That practice brought me to tears with love. I don’t know if that is bodhicitta, but it seems like the compassion is the main goal.
No, none of the Abhidhamma and Abhidharma texts make any such essentialist propositions regarding mental states and mental capacity in regards to sex, gender, or sexual preference.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

muni
Posts: 4434
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by muni » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am

DiamondMeru wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am
What if the block to Bodhicitta is a simple biological one, the female brain is more developed in the limbic system of emotions where compassion can be exercised. The male brain is underdeveloped in emotions, but not in gay men. This might be some people are meant to be more compassionate biologically. If it is a fact of biology, perhaps it needs to be exercised to develop.
I remember H H Dalai Lama saying something about hormones, but forgot actually the details.
Conditioned by body-mind, these conditions are experienced as obstacles. And then there are different approaches (technical-practical).
Men have also female quality:
http://www.dakinipower.com/what-is-a-dakini/ I do not know men need to be Gay men, there are very compassionate men.
Also if you have not received compassion maybe it is harder to practice unless you are around compassionate people.

Oh dear, yes! Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said in that way as well; being by truly compassionate spiritual friends makes practice flourishing!!!! Widening! Openness... :heart:

I guess till stability is - not being conditioned. And then it would be time for helping *all and all* in equanimity.

:namaste:
May all beings have happiness and the cause of happiness.
May they be free of suffering and the cause of suffering.
May they never be disassociated from the supreme happiness which is without suffering.
May they remain in the boundless equanimity, free from both attachment to close ones and rejection of others.

WeiHan
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by WeiHan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:20 pm

muni wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am
DiamondMeru wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am
What if the block to Bodhicitta is a simple biological one, the female brain is more developed in the limbic system of emotions where compassion can be exercised. The male brain is underdeveloped in emotions, but not in gay men. This might be some people are meant to be more compassionate biologically. If it is a fact of biology, perhaps it needs to be exercised to develop.
I remember H H Dalai Lama saying something about hormones, but forgot actually the details.
Conditioned by body-mind, these conditions are experienced as obstacles. And then there are different approaches (technical-practical).
Men have also female quality:
http://www.dakinipower.com/what-is-a-dakini/ I do not know men need to be Gay men, there are very compassionate men.
Also if you have not received compassion maybe it is harder to practice unless you are around compassionate people.

Oh dear, yes! Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said in that way as well; being by truly compassionate spiritual friends makes practice flourishing!!!! Widening! Openness... :heart:

I guess till stability is - not being conditioned. And then it would be time for helping *all and all* in equanimity.

:namaste:
although being close to compassionate friends is conducive for budding compassion, it is through difficult people that we take our exam when we are ready and to deepen our practice.

muni
Posts: 4434
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by muni » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:05 pm

WeiHan wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:20 pm
although being close to compassionate friends is conducive for budding compassion, it is through difficult people that we take our exam when we are ready and to deepen our practice.
[/quote]

For sure, you are right.

I then look back to what DiamondMeru wrote:
Also if you have not received compassion maybe it is harder to practice unless you are around compassionate people.
I remember as well H H Dalai Lama mentioning that if a child never received love, affection, compassion, is it very difficult to later on “develop” compassion-love, to practice the four boundless ones. Since then you have not learned to love or learned to have even compassion for oneself.
Also in opposite way; when we cannot embrace all in compassion in equanimity, can there be real compassion for ourselves? Compassion is including all or it isn’t .

Recognizing emptiness is necessary as javier.espinoza.t said. Then the 'warmth' inside is spread through openness ( metaphorical door opens ) embracing all and everyone. Freed from suffering by grasping to self. Something like that. I imagine, when Bodhichitta is recognized we would wish that freedom for everyone, all and everyone. If not it is 'ourself' what is still suffering, I think.

In any case I feel no need to blame anyone for not having Bodhichitta, they need love so dearly.
Last edited by muni on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May all beings have happiness and the cause of happiness.
May they be free of suffering and the cause of suffering.
May they never be disassociated from the supreme happiness which is without suffering.
May they remain in the boundless equanimity, free from both attachment to close ones and rejection of others.

Fortyeightvows
Posts: 1860
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:12 pm

I think that there may be a physical reason. A knot in a channel or something.

How is bodhicitta described in the texts? Does it have a somatic component?

They say that when we make vows there is a subtle substance created. That may have some relation to the discussion also

User avatar
Nyedrag Yeshe
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:06 am
Location: Brazil

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:20 pm

DiamondMeru wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am
I have experienced great love from the Medicine Buddha practice that makes me feel great compassion for Tibet and Buddhists in general because they discovered and revealed these teachings for the world to receive healing and love.
They didn't, they received it from Indian master originally, as a matter of fact. What they, among other Buddhist lineages did was to make the practice available to a more wider audience along the globe.
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

User avatar
Kunga Lhadzom
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 pm

This is the first sutta/Sutra I ever read....it really opens my heart. ...but i also grew up in a very open hearted household....my mom is the Queen of Hearts...

Metta, Karuna, Mudita, Upekkha
Metta Sutta


This is what should be done
By one who is skilled in goodness,
And who knows the path of peace:

Let them be able and upright,
Straightforward and gentle in speech.
Humble and not conceited,
Contented and easily satisfied.
Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful,
Not proud and demanding in nature.

Let them not do the slightest thing
That the wise would later reprove.

Wishing: In gladness and in saftey,
May all beings be at ease
Whatever living beings there may be;
Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
The seen and the unseen,
Those living near and far away,
Those born and to-be-born,
May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
Or despise any being in any state.
Let none through anger or ill-will
Wish harm upon another.

Even as a mother protects with her life
Her child, her only child,
So with a boundless heart
Should one cherish all living beings:
Radiating kindness over the entire world
Spreading upwards to the skies,
And downwards to the depths;
Outwards and unbounded,
Freed from hatred and ill-will.

Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
Free from drowsiness,
One should sustain this recollection.

This is said to be the sublime abiding:
By not holding to fixed views,
The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
Being freed from all sense desires,
Is not born again into this world.


:heart:
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

WeiHan
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by WeiHan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:03 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 pm
This is the first sutta/Sutra I ever read....it really opens my heart. ...but i also grew up in a very open hearted household....my mom is the Queen of Hearts...

Metta, Karuna, Mudita, Upekkha
Metta Sutta


This is what should be done
By one who is skilled in goodness,
And who knows the path of peace:

Let them be able and upright,
Straightforward and gentle in speech.
Humble and not conceited,
Contented and easily satisfied.
Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful,
Not proud and demanding in nature.

Let them not do the slightest thing
That the wise would later reprove.

Wishing: In gladness and in saftey,
May all beings be at ease
Whatever living beings there may be;
Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
The seen and the unseen,
Those living near and far away,
Those born and to-be-born,
May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
Or despise any being in any state.
Let none through anger or ill-will
Wish harm upon another.

Even as a mother protects with her life
Her child, her only child,
So with a boundless heart
Should one cherish all living beings:
Radiating kindness over the entire world
Spreading upwards to the skies,
And downwards to the depths;
Outwards and unbounded,
Freed from hatred and ill-will.

Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
Free from drowsiness,
One should sustain this recollection.

This is said to be the sublime abiding:
By not holding to fixed views,
The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
Being freed from all sense desires,
Is not born again into this world.


:heart:
Thankyou. I have been looking for this sutra. Apparently, I read that this is the method that Lord Jigten Sumgon practiced to attain enlightenment in one night and cured himself of leprosy.

https://bodhiactivity.wordpress.com/201 ... en-sumgon/

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 am

muni wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am
DiamondMeru wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am
What if the block to Bodhicitta is a simple biological one, the female brain is more developed in the limbic system of emotions where compassion can be exercised. The male brain is underdeveloped in emotions, but not in gay men. This might be some people are meant to be more compassionate biologically. If it is a fact of biology, perhaps it needs to be exercised to develop.
I remember H H Dalai Lama saying something about hormones, but forgot actually the details.
Conditioned by body-mind, these conditions are experienced as obstacles. And then there are different approaches (technical-practical).
Men have also female quality:
http://www.dakinipower.com/what-is-a-dakini/ I do not know men need to be Gay men, there are very compassionate men.
Also if you have not received compassion maybe it is harder to practice unless you are around compassionate people.

Oh dear, yes! Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said in that way as well; being by truly compassionate spiritual friends makes practice flourishing!!!! Widening! Openness... :heart:

I guess till stability is - not being conditioned. And then it would be time for helping *all and all* in equanimity.

:namaste:

LSD( drugs i mean) hits harder than hormones, but has the same principle...

muni
Posts: 4434
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by muni » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 am
muni wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am
DiamondMeru wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am
What if the block to Bodhicitta is a simple biological one, the female brain is more developed in the limbic system of emotions where compassion can be exercised. The male brain is underdeveloped in emotions, but not in gay men. This might be some people are meant to be more compassionate biologically. If it is a fact of biology, perhaps it needs to be exercised to develop.
I remember H H Dalai Lama saying something about hormones, but forgot actually the details.
Conditioned by body-mind, these conditions are experienced as obstacles. And then there are different approaches (technical-practical).
Men have also female quality:
http://www.dakinipower.com/what-is-a-dakini/ I do not know men need to be Gay men, there are very compassionate men.
Also if you have not received compassion maybe it is harder to practice unless you are around compassionate people.

Oh dear, yes! Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said in that way as well; being by truly compassionate spiritual friends makes practice flourishing!!!! Widening! Openness... :heart:

I guess till stability is - not being conditioned. And then it would be time for helping *all and all* in equanimity.

:namaste:

LSD( drugs i mean) hits harder than hormones, but has the same principle...
Awful all these drugs! Samsara is not just one color, some are suffering so much, other not enough to genuinely wish to be free. But in this case, whether there is a wish to be free - conditioned by these poisons, there is no way without rehabilitation. Very sad our fellows are landing in such circle. May they be free!
May all beings have happiness and the cause of happiness.
May they be free of suffering and the cause of suffering.
May they never be disassociated from the supreme happiness which is without suffering.
May they remain in the boundless equanimity, free from both attachment to close ones and rejection of others.

WeiHan
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by WeiHan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:43 am

I love this Chapter from Avatamsaka Sutra. The chapter titled "The Merit and Virtue from First Bringing Forth the Mind". The whole chapter is about the benefits of giving rise to bodhicitta. However, this chapter is less often recited, even within Mahayana tradition, as compared to the last chapter that contains the King of aspiration prayer. The next most popular chapter in this sutra is the chapter on pure conducts which taught about using everyday activities as practices or reminder for Bodhicitta.

The verses from page 2 onward of the chapter is very nice.

http://www.cttbusa.org/avatamsaka/avatamsaka17.asp

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Obstacles to Bodhicitta

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:06 pm

muni wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 am
muni wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am


I remember H H Dalai Lama saying something about hormones, but forgot actually the details.
Conditioned by body-mind, these conditions are experienced as obstacles. And then there are different approaches (technical-practical).
Men have also female quality:
http://www.dakinipower.com/what-is-a-dakini/ I do not know men need to be Gay men, there are very compassionate men.



Oh dear, yes! Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said in that way as well; being by truly compassionate spiritual friends makes practice flourishing!!!! Widening! Openness... :heart:

I guess till stability is - not being conditioned. And then it would be time for helping *all and all* in equanimity.

:namaste:

LSD( drugs i mean) hits harder than hormones, but has the same principle...
Awful all these drugs! Samsara is not just one color, some are suffering so much, other not enough to genuinely wish to be free. But in this case, whether there is a wish to be free - conditioned by these poisons, there is no way without rehabilitation. Very sad our fellows are landing in such circle. May they be free!
a practitioner should never consume those substances since they block subtle channels, so ChNN said once i barely remember

this means it's consumption creates obstacles to knowledge and experience. our pall here is not consuming this substances, does he? :stirthepot:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Tenma, Tiago Simões and 27 guests