Mahayana devotion

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kaji

Re: Mahayana devotion

Post by Kaji »

I personally follow a daily short ritual that is largely based on Samantabhadra's 10 vows (or King of Prayers in Tibetan Buddhism, similar to the Seven Limbs):

1) Set my motivation right - bodhicitta and realisation of emptiness. You can use a particular verse from the Diamond Sutra for this. Or recall Samantabhadra's 10 vows.

2) Prostrate to the Buddhas, Dharma and Sangha of the three times and infinite space.

3) Recite the refuge taking verse, renewing the inspiration of my taking refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

4) Praise the Buddhas of the three times and infinite space.

5) Make offerings to the Buddhas, Dharma and Sangha, even if it's just with your visualisations, mandala or mantra.

6) Confess and repent unwholesome actions, speech and thoughts.

7) Rejoice on wholesome actions, speech and thoughts, my own and those of others.

8) Visualise the body of a deity (a buddha or a bodhisattva) appearing right in front of me. This is a form of request buddha to remain in this world.

9) Visualise the deity's seed syllable within the deity's body, with the deity's mantra/dharani circumambulating the seed syllable. This is a form of request buddha to turn the wheel of Dharma.

10) Recite the mantra/dharani and visualising the benefits being spread to all sentient beings.

11) Dedicate the merit of the above practices to all sentient beings, that they all develop bodhicitta and realise buddhahood.

12) Seal the merit into emptiness realisation.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”