Mahayana devotion

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DesertDweller

Mahayana devotion

Post by DesertDweller »

Dear Friends,
I am looking for resources about Mahayana devotional practices. This is something I feel that I am missing in my practice. My main practice is zazen, but since I come from a Catholic background I think I require some more devotional elements, as "support" for my soul--such as a close relationship to a particular Bodhisattva. I often miss saying litanies or psalms, etc. Much of the devotional element of Buddhism has been neglected in American Zen, and the immigrant communities and resources are often closed. Hence there dont seem to be many Buddhist prayer books in English, though there are some things. I know that there are all sorts of things in the Sutras. I've researched some of these, and I'm quite familiar with Pure Land. Still, I was looking for more resources associated with Guanyin/Avalokiteshvara worship or Ksitigarbha. I know there's a lot in Tibetan Buddhism, but my orientation is more Chinese Mahayana.

Any help is much appreciated!
Best wishes.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Mahayana devotion

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I would think that things like the six-syllable mantra and the long mantra of avalokiteshvara would cross traditions pretty well, they are typically unrestricted (though you should get teachings/initiation if possible), in addition, I see all kinds of Chinese versions of the long mantra. It was my impression that it's common in them. And obviously, Avalokiteshvara is huge all over the Mahayana.

I seen many variations on the 1000 arm Mantra/Dharani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oazI_zsrlko

I don't personally care for the style of most of the recordings out there, but the melody is similar to how I learned it, the translation on this link is a bit different than what i've seen elsewhere, and I think it's actually a bit off of the mantra being practiced..but the gist is similar.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
zengen

Post by zengen »

DesertDweller wrote:Still, I was looking for more resources associated with Guanyin/Avalokiteshvara worship or Ksitigarbha. I know there's a lot in Tibetan Buddhism, but my orientation is more Chinese Mahayana.
For Guanyin devotion practice, you can read or recite "The Universal Door Of Guanshiyin Bodhisattva" chapter in the Lotus Sutra. This is a chapter in the Lotus Sutra dedicated to Guanyin. Many Buddhists recite this chapter as devotion to Guanyin.

You can also practice the Great Compassion Repentance (you can practice it at home as well, not just in the temple ceremony), which is a ceremony commonly done in Chinese Mahayana. If you would like to learn more about this ceremony, I would suggest attending a local temple near you which performs the ceremony so you familiarize yourself with the logistics (like when to bow when a line is recited, when to chant mantra etc.) of it. But please also go to the link posted above and read through the repentance lines. This is a devotional practice, as you can see in the repentance lines.

You can also read the Great Compassion Dharani Sutra and learn to recite the Great Compassion Mantra. The Great Compassion Mantra is written in the sutra.
There is no meaning to cyclic existence.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Most Zen centers (as opposed to meditation groups) have significant devotional practices embedded in them. Seated meditation on its own is an incomplete practice regardless of one's background.

I was going to recommend Chapter 25 of the Lotus Sutra, but Zengen already helpfully did so. The verse portions are traditionally chanted.
DesertDweller

Post by DesertDweller »

Thanks everyone. This helps. Two follow-ups:

1. Would it be wrong to read some of the dharanis in English translation? I know that some of them don't really make much "sense" in English; but others, like the Surangama and the Great Compassion dharanis, do make sense and read almost like prayers/hymns in themselves.

2. How can one develop a personal relationship with a Bodhisattva like Avalokiteshvara? I know this is common in Tibetan Buddhism, and of course Pure Land emphasizes devotion to Amitabha. But Avalokiteshvara seems more accessible on a "personal" level. Besides reading the mantras/sutras related to him/her, can one simply "talk" to him/her in a devotional way?

I'm really just trying to get a sense of what's normative here because the resources/interest in these sorts of devotional things in the West seems limited at best.

Thanks again.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Sanskrit mantra and dharani should really be recited in sanskrit AFAIK...but some sadhana will.follow that up in the english translation. Mantra and Dharani are not just recitation of words, to some extent they are actually the Bodhisattva you are venerating in sound form. This may be more the Vajrayana perspective, but I feel fairly sure that things like reciting sutra, mantra, dharani ARE how you get closer to these presences. One analogy I've heard from others is that it is like tuning into a radio station.

Beyond that, getting teachings, or going somewhere where you can learn in person is bound to strengthen your connection I'd imagine.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
zengen

Post by zengen »

DesertDweller wrote: 2. How can one develop a personal relationship with a Bodhisattva like Avalokiteshvara? I know this is common in Tibetan Buddhism, and of course Pure Land emphasizes devotion to Amitabha. But Avalokiteshvara seems more accessible on a "personal" level. Besides reading the mantras/sutras related to him/her, can one simply "talk" to him/her in a devotional way?
Maybe you can set up a shrine with the image/statue of Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva and prostrate before the image/statue 108 times a day or however many times you'd like. As to "talk" to him/her in a devotional way, I don't know if you can do that, or if that is a common Buddhist practice. But you can certainly pray for help or blessing from Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva.
There is no meaning to cyclic existence.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

DesertDweller wrote:Dear Friends,
Much of the devotional element of Buddhism has been neglected in American Zen, and the immigrant communities and resources are often closed. Hence there dont seem to be many Buddhist prayer books in English, though there are some things. I know that there are all sorts of things in the Sutras. I've researched some of these, and I'm quite familiar with Pure Land. Still, I was looking for more resources associated with Guanyin/Avalokiteshvara worship or Ksitigarbha. I know there's a lot in Tibetan Buddhism, but my orientation is more Chinese Mahayana.

Any help is much appreciated!
Best wishes.
You might find Korean zen appealing. In addition to standard zazen and koan, prostrations and chanting are a big part of the practice and most of the sutra chants are focused on Kwan seum bosal aka Guanyin.

:meditate:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
rory

Post by rory »

I'd also recommend John Blofield's book on Kwan Yin, it's very devotional. And there's a nice visualization practice in their for Kannon sama. As suggested get a statue of Kannon or a scroll and set up an altar and light candles, incense and put on Imee Oooi's excellent recording (with romanisation subtitles) of Sanskrit Great Compassion Mantra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-gWBj21lpM

additionally there are many forms of Kannon, so look in the forums to find dharanis and visualizations that speak to you.
Here is a link to the various manifestations: 11 head Kannon, 1,000 arm, horse-head etc..
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/kannon.shtml

Finally plan a pilgrimage! And vow to be born in Kannon's pure land of Mt Potalaka
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

A warning, also.
It's easy for faith and doubt to become synonymous with hope and fear.
That is, pursuing some emotional states over others because they're clothed with religion.
I feel bliss, confidence, peace, practice is easy, therefore I have faith and things should continue this way.
I feel uncertainty, worry, confused, practice is discouraging and empty, therefore I have no faith and something must change.
This has been my experience before, and it's an easy ping-pong game to fall into.

Devotion for me lately has been synonymous with entrusting.
That way, when blissful feelings of devotion wear off and we come face to face with the same old dukkha, we know where to turn: to the Three Jewels, and not to endless aversion in various disguises.

That said, even a simple practice of reciting "om mani padme hum" for oneself and others in daily life can help flesh out a practice that may feel too mental or theoretical.
For instance, before I meditate in the mornings, I recite the 10-line Kanzeon sutra three times and then do a few rounds of manis.
(Repeat three or more times)
KAN ZE ON
NA MU BUTSU
YO BUTSU U IN
YO BUTSU U EN
BUP-PO SO EN
JO RAKU GA JO
CHO NEN KAN ZE ON
BO NEN KAN ZE ON
NEN NEN JU SHIN KI
NEN NEN FU RI SHIN

Kanzeon:
Veneration to the Buddha.
With Buddha I have origin;
With Buddha I have affinity;
Affinity with Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha;
Eternity, joy, self, and purity.
Mornings my thoughts are Kanzeon;
Evenings my thoughts are Kanzeon;
Thought after thought arise in the mind;
Thought after thought are not separate from mind.
Also as mentioned, prostrations are a lovely practice. With powerful negative states or worries, you sometimes need to involve the whole body, again and again. Bowing before Kanzeon or the Buddha, your worries bow as well and can take refuge.

I hope that's helpful.
Namu Amida Butsu
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

Practice Usnisa and Nembutsu, that's all you need, especially if you gave up your search for enlightenment to Usnisa and Amida you will suffer less because with that idea you will stop cutting yourself with your intellect and thoughts.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Reciting some or all of the Ksitigarbha Sutra is a fine practice.

HIs mantra is simple too - oṃ kṣitigarbha bodhisattvayaḥ

Talking to or communing with KuanYin is also very possible.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I'd also recommend John Blofield's book on Kwan Yin, it's very devotional.
I will second that. "Bodhisattva of Compassion" by Blofeld.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Pretty much all the aspiration bodhichitta and ngondro in TB.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:Pretty much all the aspiration bodhichitta and ngondro in TB.
Specifically the guru-yoga. However in a non-Vajrayana context you might be able to use those ideas as a template (but not the actual meditation) for a generic form of devotional practice. By that I mean a devotion to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha instead of specifically "the guru".

However, having said that, you should run that by an authentic teacher before you act on it. I think it will pass muster, but I'm not in a position to make that call. But then again, if you have access to an authentic teacher, and if you are doing Vajryana practice anyway, you can just go ahead and do the normal guru-yoga. That's pretty standard and I don't think I'm inappropriate in saying it.
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Sat May 30, 2015 4:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

smcj wrote:
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:Pretty much all the aspiration bodhichitta and ngondro in TB.
Specifically the guru-yoga.
:thumbsup: Yes, right.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Possibly of interest:

phpBB [video]
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
nilakantha

Post by nilakantha »

You can find devotional resources for Lord Avalokitesvara in the Great Compassion Dharani Sutra and the Karandavyuha Sutra, where we find the following on the merit of His worship:

“Bhagavat Śikhin replied, ‘If someone were for a deva’s eon to serve tathāgatas, arhats, and samyaksaṃbuddhas as numerous as the grains of sand in the Ganges with robes, food, bowls, bedding, seats, necessary medicine, and utensils—the merit that would be produced through those tathāgatas would be the same as that of the tip of one hair on the body of Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Avalokiteśvara."
May I be a poet in birth after birth, a devotee of the feet of Lord Avalokiteśvara,
with elevated heart, spontaneously directed towards his Refuge,
wholly occupied with the solemn duty of saving others.

--Lokeshvarashatakam of Vajradatta
TheClearlightKiwi

Post by TheClearlightKiwi »

Might I suggest Tara as well. I can give you the long mantra of Avolokiteshvara over skype or Tara. In sanscrit. That means I can reveal it to you , I got it off lama Zopa years ago.
石正 Marcus

Post by 石正 Marcus »

DesertDweller wrote: Hence there dont seem to be many Buddhist prayer books in English, though there are some things...
Hi Desert Dweller,
It's been a while since you posted, but you got stacks of great advice and I was wondering how you're getting on.
I especially liked the advice about setting up an altar, carrying out prostrations, and just talking to the Bodhisattva.
The warning about faith and hope, doubt and fear was also excellent.
Can I add one more thing? I'd also warn about putting too much emphasis on the Boddhisattva being outside of yourself. In my understanding, devotional practices ought to be tempered with the awareness that the Boddhisattva is also yourself, sharing the very same Buddha-nature.
Finally, I don't know if I'm allowed to make a plug here, but I also noticed this lack of Buddhist prayer books in English and so wrote one myself! It's called108 Prayers: a book of devotion to the Bodhisattva of Compassion. (Mods: happy to take this down if it breaks terms and conditions etc)
Myriad blessings!
Marcus
南無観世音菩薩

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”