Wanting to learn , and ordaining as a monk.

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
searchoftruth

Wanting to learn , and ordaining as a monk.

Post by searchoftruth » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:58 pm

HI, I am Octavio from Argentina. First of all, this is a topic about my actual situation and what to do next, so I am asking for some suggestions about it . I explained my situation in this post: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20996 , but I will make a short description on my situation. I am 20 years old, but I have no desire of living secular or lay life, I am only wanting to learn the Dharma and finding enlightenment, so as to stop suffering and find real bliss.
In my older post some people have my recommended some places here in Argentina, especially talking with Gerardo Abboud ( A Tibetan Buddhist teacher, I think he did not ordain as a monk) , from here http://www.dongyuling.com.ar and also he is the translator of the Dalai Lama here in Argentina. I talked with him and he said that the best will be to travel to Asia (I think he said Bhutan ) to start my preliminary training. The question about this is that I would need to save a money, a thing that will take months and It seems risky . I really want to leave this place and I dont want to spend months working in something secular.
So I am thinking to go to USA to learn. I have the VISA and the money (I will go in Bus) . I am a musician , so I can play with my guitar songs on the streets in case of needing money (mostly for food (eating healthy, vegetarian food) and maybe from travelling (but I hitchhiked before so maybe it will be not necessary) . I am interested in all traditions of buddhism, naming: Theravada, Mahayana (Chan, Zen, Tibetan, etc) , and Vajrayana. I have no prejudice, but its necessary that they teach the Four Noble Truths.
So , here are some things I will do : Speak again with Gerardo Abboud. Calling the Kagyu centers in here .
Notes about Latin America: Theravada here is nearly nonexistent, so It is discarded. Zen seems to be like the thing of "only mindfulness, no buddhism" thing. Chan I could`nt find in internet.
In USA some places I have seen and are in my plan list, are : Tendai California monastery , Garchen Rinpoche temple, Bhavana Society monastery, Metta forest monastery.
I will be thankfull for suggestions and advises.

DGA
Former staff member

Re: Wanting to learn , and ordaining as a monk.

Post by DGA » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:29 pm

searchoftruth wrote:HI, I am Octavio from Argentina. First of all, this is a topic about my actual situation and what to do next, so I am asking for some suggestions about it . I explained my situation in this post: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20996 , but I will make a short description on my situation. I am 20 years old, but I have no desire of living secular or lay life, I am only wanting to learn the Dharma and finding enlightenment, so as to stop suffering and find real bliss.
In my older post some people have my recommended some places here in Argentina, especially talking with Gerardo Abboud ( A Tibetan Buddhist teacher, I think he did not ordain as a monk) , from here http://www.dongyuling.com.ar and also he is the translator of the Dalai Lama here in Argentina. I talked with him and he said that the best will be to travel to Asia (I think he said Bhutan ) to start my preliminary training. The question about this is that I would need to save a money, a thing that will take months and It seems risky . I really want to leave this place and I dont want to spend months working in something secular.
So I am thinking to go to USA to learn. I have the VISA and the money (I will go in Bus) . I am a musician , so I can play with my guitar songs on the streets in case of needing money (mostly for food (eating healthy, vegetarian food) and maybe from travelling (but I hitchhiked before so maybe it will be not necessary) . I am interested in all traditions of buddhism, naming: Theravada, Mahayana (Chan, Zen, Tibetan, etc) , and Vajrayana. I have no prejudice, but its necessary that they teach the Four Noble Truths.
So , here are some things I will do : Speak again with Gerardo Abboud. Calling the Kagyu centers in here .
Notes about Latin America: Theravada here is nearly nonexistent, so It is discarded. Zen seems to be like the thing of "only mindfulness, no buddhism" thing. Chan I could`nt find in internet.
In USA some places I have seen and are in my plan list, are : Tendai California monastery , Garchen Rinpoche temple, Bhavana Society monastery, Metta forest monastery.
I will be thankfull for suggestions and advises.
Hi Octavio,

I encourage you to do as you say and contact Mr Abboud. The good news is that any Buddhist center that is a Buddhist center will teach, in one way or another, the 4 Noble Truths--even if that is not obvious at first.

I have one small piece of bad news, though. California Tendai Monastery has closed. You can read about it here:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=19525

I wish you all the best in your practice.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:51 am

head to the city of ten thousand buddhas in ukiah califonia

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:13 am

There have been long, long discussions on the relationships between mindfulness and Zen practice and Theravada practice. In any case, be aware that all legitimate Zen Buddhist or Chan Buddhist centers teach Buddhism, the 4 Noble Truths and the rest. You may argue with their interpretation of Buddhism on a sectarian basis, but they are fully Buddhist centers teaching a Buddhist tradition. There are many such centers (especially in California if that is where you are headed), easily discoverable through the Internet.

lama tsewang

Post by lama tsewang » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:31 am

A friend of mine is a monk , he has a temple in argentina , its probably known as bodhiyana, contact him before you leave.
Lama Tsewang