How can karma know,and how do for instance hell wardens know

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Ervin

Re: How can karma know,and how do for instance hell wardens

Post by Ervin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:54 am

Thanks Malcolm,

I have checked out Vasubandhu and although he was a very good philosopher, I didn't quite come across the origins of beings in realms. Maybe you can post an excerpt.

Also, they are not sutras. They are Vasubhandu's opinions?

Thanks

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:08 am

Ervin, Buddhist teachings are more than just the sutras.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:54 am

Redfaery wrote:Ervin, Buddhist teachings are more than just the sutras.
Thanks Readfeary, that's the only view you can have. I can't accept it otherwise.

Can you or someone else please post which Buddhist schools have that view? I think I read somewhere that dzogchen is a bit like that and Zen. For Zen over here in Melbourne, you have to apply for membership and it's quite expensive.

So, yeah people, do please post it!!!

Thanks

Punya

Post by Punya » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:37 am

Vasubhandhu's text is a shastra. Shastras are the treatises or commentaries written by highly regarded buddhist scholar/practitioners which shed further light on the meaning of the sutras.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:41 am

Punya wrote:
Vasubhandhu's text is a shastra. Shastras are the treatises or commentaries written by highly regarded buddhist scholar/practitioners which shed further light on the meaning of the sutras.
Thanks Punya

Well, I plan on ordering soon Vasubandhu's books from the book depository since I like him and the book depository has plenty of his books. I will practice from his books.

Thanks

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:14 am

It isn't true that the Zen centres in Melbourne charge for membership. The only ones I know of don't allow you to join unless you've practiced with them for a few months.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:35 am

Memberships or teachings meditation, theory or whatever, from what I remember checking in the past( Its been a while), it was expensive.

Thanks

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:13 am

After writing and reading the thread, the only answer I personally can come up with is that you have to be enlightened in order to know the answers to my question.

Thanks

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:21 pm

All the zen groups I can find in Melbourne, Australia do not charge for regular meetings and practice. They mostly ask for donations if you can spare it. Some special events require extra expenses (like meal costs), but costs can be waived if one really can't afford it. Expenses are then paid out of other people's donations. Membership is a way to contribute with organizational work as well as financially. Not being a member does not impede your ability to learn and practice in any way.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:17 pm

Ervin wrote:After writing and reading the thread, the only answer I personally can come up with is that you have to be enlightened in order to know the answers to my question.

Thanks
Sure. And since you're in the human realm now, with the opportunity to practice, and not in the hell realm dealing with these beings, it seems to me that the first order of business is to get connected to practice as best you can while that opportunity lasts. Melbourne is a large and well-developed city; surely there are good communities to practice Dharma with there.

Matt J

Post by Matt J » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Tsoknyi Rinpoche talks about this in Fearless Simplicity. He compares the different realms to "group dreams."
…Where does the darkness go when the sun rises in the morning? In which directions does it flee? Where does the darkness come from when the sunlight disappears? Hell is like that. It is the condition of sunlight that makes it so that there is no darkness, and the absence of sunlight that allows there to be darkness. Similarly, hell realms are dependent upon the deluded experience of sentient beings; and dependent upon the absence of deluded experience of sentient beings, there are no longer any hells. The Buddhist statement is that there are no hells means that there are no permanent, concrete hells. It also means that there is no separate maker of hell. The creator of the hells is simply the individual karmic experience of sentient beings. It is not that someone arrives on the scene with a construction crew and iron plates, then heats them up and bangs them together to build the hell realms.
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”