When I was paralized for some time after a trepanation it comes vividly to me that consciousness and body are different phenomena and there is no way for the mind arising at the time of conception. I became unlearned even how to swallow saliva and if consciousness is zeroed at the start in the way my body was it is impossible to know anything and to develop anything because there is no initional term, no semantic schemes.
As I remember some arguments in a scaterred way:
1) consciousness is not getting old
2) it is nessesary to think to develop knowledge
3) when parts of the body are damaged consciousness is not getting smaller (even when brain is damaged - it is my own experience )))
4) when consciousness is affected by sorrow body changes
5) you can comprehend colors and sounds but not your eyes or ears first, so no way the consciousness is in the body
6) you can comprehend innate tactile feelins directly (I don't mean without kayaindriya), so no way the consciousness is out of the body
7) all children are different, born in different families and under different circumstanses
8) no single phenomen is devoid of conditions, there is no emerging and no ending withous causes
9) brain is not initial cause for the consciousness as grape for the intoxication effect, because intoxication is of consciousness category, nor as lamp for the light for the light is unable to appear by itself, nor as dynamo is generating electricity, because there is transformation of energy not the arising anew.
From buddhist view people are actually 18 dimensions filled with seeds of six lokas. It is interacting universes, not just body, not just mind in the body in 3d context. Сontinual transformation is the best in reasoning among the other theories, but it is hard to understand since it transcends mundane objects. IMHO.
Sorry for my english