Enlightenment success rate

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Malcolm wrote:There are no minds without bodies, and no bodies without minds. Mind and matter are coterminous.
Below Dzogchen, aren't formless realm beings considered not to have bodies? i seem to rememeber you saying something about how the idea that formless realm beings had some kind of body was unique to Dzogchen.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Anonymous X
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Anonymous X » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:22 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Anonymous X wrote:I'll leave you to figure it out and come back with some more encyclopaedia explanations.
Since your response to conversations that reach certain results is aversion, I'd suggest not having them.
I reserve my right to aversion and every other form of phenomenon. Why limit oneself?

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27777
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Malcolm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:24 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:There are no minds without bodies, and no bodies without minds. Mind and matter are coterminous.
Below Dzogchen, aren't formless realm beings considered not to have bodies? i seem to rememeber you saying something about how the idea that formless realm beings had some kind of body was unique to Dzogchen.
Both Dzogchen and Theravada assert "formless" means very subtle form.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:32 pm

Anonymous X wrote:
PuerAzaelis wrote:Since your response to conversations that reach certain results is aversion, I'd suggest not having them.
I reserve my right to aversion and every other form of phenomenon. Why limit oneself?
That's right, Anonymous X! Invigorate that clarity aspect!


Malcolm wrote:Both Dzogchen and Theravada assert "formless" means very subtle form.
I didn't know that about Theravada. Other schools don't say that though, do they?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
aflatun
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:21 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by aflatun » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Malcolm wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:There are no minds without bodies, and no bodies without minds. Mind and matter are coterminous.
Below Dzogchen, aren't formless realm beings considered not to have bodies? i seem to rememeber you saying something about how the idea that formless realm beings had some kind of body was unique to Dzogchen.
Both Dzogchen and Theravada assert "formless" means very subtle form.
Just curious, can you elaborate on this from the Theravada POV? I wasn't aware of this.
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16

User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
Posts: 6916
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Astus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Malcolm wrote:There are no minds without bodies, and no bodies without minds. Mind and matter are coterminous.
There is a whole realm for minds without bodies. There are also bodies without mind. Also, if bodies are defined in terms of the experiential perspective, then they refer to the instances of certain sensory occurrences, that is: sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch, and those are not always present.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.


1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27777
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Malcolm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:41 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
I didn't know that about Theravada. Other schools don't say that though, do they?
Sarvastivadins hold that "formless" means absolutely without form. However, it is somewhat ridiculous idea to hold as they do that formless realm beings still possess a jivitindriya, a life-force faculty when they have no body.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27777
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Malcolm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Astus wrote:
Malcolm wrote:There are no minds without bodies, and no bodies without minds. Mind and matter are coterminous.
There is a whole realm for minds without bodies. There are also bodies without mind. Also, if bodies are defined in terms of the experiential perspective, then they refer to the instances of certain sensory occurrences, that is: sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch, and those are not always present.
As I pointed out already, the idea the formless realms are actually formless is a debatable point upon which there is disagreement. According to the the Theravada tradition as well as the Dzogchen tradition, there are no disembodied minds anywhere in the three realms, and with respect to the latter, not even in the bardo.

M
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
Posts: 6916
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Astus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Malcolm wrote:As I pointed out already, the idea the formless realms are actually formless is a debatable point upon which there is disagreement. According to the the Theravada tradition as well as the Dzogchen tradition, there are no disembodied minds anywhere in the three realms, and with respect to the latter, not even in the bardo.
It is a debatable point that is addressed in the Kathavatthu (VIII.8, XVI.9) and refuted, i.e. the arupaloka cannot contain rupa, i.e. matter.

"You can predicate them truly of the Rupa-sphere, where there yet is matter. But this sphere is not identical with the Arupa-sphere. And if you predicate matter of the Arupa-sphere, you must show that matter agrees with the description you can truly give of the Arupa-sphere as a state of existence, a destiny, etc."
(Kathavatthu, VIII.8, tr Aung & Davids, p 220)

What source do you use regarding the Theravada interpretation?
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.


1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27777
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Malcolm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Astus wrote:
Malcolm wrote:As I pointed out already, the idea the formless realms are actually formless is a debatable point upon which there is disagreement. According to the the Theravada tradition as well as the Dzogchen tradition, there are no disembodied minds anywhere in the three realms, and with respect to the latter, not even in the bardo.
It is a debatable point that is addressed in the Kathavatthu (VIII.8, XVI.9) and refuted, i.e. the arupaloka cannot contain rupa, i.e. matter.

"You can predicate them truly of the Rupa-sphere, where there yet is matter. But this sphere is not identical with the Arupa-sphere. And if you predicate matter of the Arupa-sphere, you must show that matter agrees with the description you can truly give of the Arupa-sphere as a state of existence, a destiny, etc."
(Kathavatthu, VIII.8, tr Aung & Davids, p 220)

What source do you use regarding the Theravada interpretation?
Kosha. So apparently there is disagreement between continental Vaibhajyavadins and those in Śrī Lanka.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
PuerAzaelis
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by PuerAzaelis » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:01 am

Anonymous X wrote:
PuerAzaelis wrote:
Anonymous X wrote:I'll leave you to figure it out and come back with some more encyclopaedia explanations.
Since your response to conversations that reach certain results is aversion, I'd suggest not having them.
I reserve my right to aversion and every other form of phenomenon. Why limit oneself?
Good answer.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Dharma Flower
Posts: 1035
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Dharma Flower » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:19 pm

For the last year or two, whenever I am reminded of the sadness or chaos in my life or in the world around me, I am comforted by the Lotus Sutra's teaching that all beings will ultimately attain Buddhahood.

How can a person be overly anxious or stressed if they always keep in mind, if they always keep in their heart, that they already know the end from the beginning? As long as I have faith in the Lotus Sutra, I know that all things work out in the end for all beings.

Tolya M
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Tolya M » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Astus wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:09 pm
Malcolm wrote:As I pointed out already, the idea the formless realms are actually formless is a debatable point upon which there is disagreement. According to the the Theravada tradition as well as the Dzogchen tradition, there are no disembodied minds anywhere in the three realms, and with respect to the latter, not even in the bardo.
It is a debatable point that is addressed in the Kathavatthu (VIII.8, XVI.9) and refuted, i.e. the arupaloka cannot contain rupa, i.e. matter.

"You can predicate them truly of the Rupa-sphere, where there yet is matter. But this sphere is not identical with the Arupa-sphere. And if you predicate matter of the Arupa-sphere, you must show that matter agrees with the description you can truly give of the Arupa-sphere as a state of existence, a destiny, etc."
(Kathavatthu, VIII.8, tr Aung & Davids, p 220)

What source do you use regarding the Theravada interpretation?
This is a question of terminology and definition of the concept of "rupa". in Southeast Asia buddhism Vijja Dhammakaya speaks about the bodies in the Arupa lokas. I guess the theravada mainstream just cut the other points. :cry: In Kosha the question is ambiguous too.

User avatar
GoingHome
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:27 am
Location: Brampton, ON Canada

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by GoingHome » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:40 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:28 am
Astus wrote:This teaching of "nothing to be attained" is in many sutras, even in the Heart Sutra.
"Attaining" means you have to get something. The reason that "nothing to be attained" is because it is always there all along. We don't actually attain enlightenment or become Buddha. Buddha is already in us or that we are buddha, all we have to do is clean the mirror to see ourselves. "This Heart become Buddha, this Heart IS Buddha" spoken by Master Chin Kung.
Last edited by anjali on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected imbalanced quoting

Anonymous X
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Anonymous X » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:36 am

GoingHome wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:40 am
Wayfarer wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:28 am
Astus wrote:This teaching of "nothing to be attained" is in many sutras, even in the Heart Sutra.
"Attaining" means you have to get something. The reason that "nothing to be attained" is because it is always there all along. We don't actually attain enlightenment or become Buddha. Buddha is already in us or that we are buddha, all we have to do is clean the mirror to see ourselves. "This Heart become Buddha, this Heart IS Buddha" spoken by Master Chin Kung.
Isn't this kind of an eternalist point of view? In this sutta, the Buddha points out several 'wrong' views associated with the ending of suffering. He did not teach something existing in us or that we are anything like this. If you read through this short sutta, you can see immediately what the right view is that he is talking about. It is not about becoming or cleaning any mirror.

User avatar
GoingHome
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:27 am
Location: Brampton, ON Canada

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by GoingHome » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Anonymous X wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:36 am
GoingHome wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:40 am
Wayfarer wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:28 am
"Attaining" means you have to get something. The reason that "nothing to be attained" is because it is always there all along. We don't actually attain enlightenment or become Buddha. Buddha is already in us or that we are buddha, all we have to do is clean the mirror to see ourselves. "This Heart become Buddha, this Heart IS Buddha" spoken by Master Chin Kung.
Isn't this kind of an eternalist point of view? In this sutta, the Buddha points out several 'wrong' views associated with the ending of suffering. He did not teach something existing in us or that we are anything like this. If you read through this short sutta, you can see immediately what the right view is that he is talking about. It is not about becoming or cleaning any mirror.
All sentient beings are future Buddha and everyone is capable of being Buddha once we "clean" ourself of greed, hatred and delusion. Isn't all of Buddha's teaching sums up to a simple concept is to study Precept, Meditation, Wisdom and to eliminate Greed, Hatred, Delusion? All Dhamma are just "boat" that allows practitioner to reach the other shore. Once we reach the other side even "dhamma/boat" is discarded, why continue hanging on to it when it's no longer needed?

User avatar
LastLegend
Posts: 2870
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by LastLegend » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:49 am

Perception, thinking is functioning of mind no?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Bodhidharma [my translation]
―I come to the East to transmit this clear knowing mind without constructing any dharma―

Anonymous X
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Anonymous X » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:00 am

GoingHome wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 pm
Anonymous X wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:36 am
GoingHome wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:40 am


"Attaining" means you have to get something. The reason that "nothing to be attained" is because it is always there all along. We don't actually attain enlightenment or become Buddha. Buddha is already in us or that we are buddha, all we have to do is clean the mirror to see ourselves. "This Heart become Buddha, this Heart IS Buddha" spoken by Master Chin Kung.
Isn't this kind of an eternalist point of view? In this sutta, the Buddha points out several 'wrong' views associated with the ending of suffering. He did not teach something existing in us or that we are anything like this. If you read through this short sutta, you can see immediately what the right view is that he is talking about. It is not about becoming or cleaning any mirror.
All sentient beings are future Buddha and everyone is capable of being Buddha once we "clean" ourself of greed, hatred and delusion. Isn't all of Buddha's teaching sums up to a simple concept is to study Precept, Meditation, Wisdom and to eliminate Greed, Hatred, Delusion? All Dhamma are just "boat" that allows practitioner to reach the other shore. Once we reach the other side even "dhamma/boat" is discarded, why continue hanging on to it when it's no longer needed?
For me, it is quite simple. The Buddha's teaching is about seeing things the way they are. Good luck with 'cleaning' yourself. :)

ItsRaining
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 am

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by ItsRaining » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:55 am

Anonymous X wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:00 am
GoingHome wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 pm
Anonymous X wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:36 am


Isn't this kind of an eternalist point of view? In this sutta, the Buddha points out several 'wrong' views associated with the ending of suffering. He did not teach something existing in us or that we are anything like this. If you read through this short sutta, you can see immediately what the right view is that he is talking about. It is not about becoming or cleaning any mirror.
All sentient beings are future Buddha and everyone is capable of being Buddha once we "clean" ourself of greed, hatred and delusion. Isn't all of Buddha's teaching sums up to a simple concept is to study Precept, Meditation, Wisdom and to eliminate Greed, Hatred, Delusion? All Dhamma are just "boat" that allows practitioner to reach the other shore. Once we reach the other side even "dhamma/boat" is discarded, why continue hanging on to it when it's no longer needed?
For me, it is quite simple. The Buddha's teaching is about seeing things the way they are. Good luck with 'cleaning' yourself. :)
You won't be seeing things they way they are without some "cleaning".

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17129
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Enlightenment success rate

Post by Grigoris » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Anonymous X wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:00 am
For me, it is quite simple. The Buddha's teaching is about seeing things the way they are. Good luck with 'cleaning' yourself. :)
In which case you are opposed to the teaching which you quoted in order to support your view because it quite clearly talks (right at the beginning) about the need to clearing obstructions:
6. "Of whom do you know, foolish man, that I have taught to him the teaching in that manner? Did I not, foolish man, speak in many ways of those obstructive things that they are obstructions indeed, and that they necessarily obstruct him who pursues them?
AND, especially in the Pali Sutta, the Buddha continuously refers to "taints" and "stains" that need to be removed.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Post Reply

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heruka85, javier.espinoza.t, practitioner and 31 guests