What exactly is a buddhafield

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
HandsomeMonkeyking

What exactly is a buddhafield

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:04 pm

I would like to know what exactly a buddhafield is.
I read in a translation of Vimalakirti Sutra by Robert Thurman at http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/F ... akirti.htm:
The Buddha said, "Noble sons, a buddha-field of bodhisattvas is a field of living beings. Why so? A bodhisattva embraces a buddha-field to the same extent that he causes the development of living beings. He embraces a buddha-field to the same extent that living beings become disciplined. He embraces a buddha-field to the same extent that, through entrance into a buddha-field, living beings are introduced to the buddha-gnosis. He embraces a buddha-field to the same extent that, through entrance into that buddha-field, living beings increase their holy spiritual faculties. Why so? Noble son, a buddha-field of bodhisattvas springs from the aims of living beings.

"For example, Ratnakara, should one wish to build in empty space, one might go ahead in spite of the fact that it is not possible to build or to adorn anything in empty space. In just the same way, should a bodhisattva, who knows full well that all things are like empty space, wish to build a buddha-field in order to develop living beings, he might go ahead, in spite of the fact that it is not possible to build or to adorn a buddha-field in empty space.

"Yet, Ratnakara, a bodhisattva's buddha-field is a field of positive thought. When he attains enlightenment, living beings free of hypocrisy and deceit will be born in his buddha-field.
And later:
"The purity of his buddha-field reflects the purity of living beings; the purity of the living beings reflects the purity of his gnosis; the purity of his gnosis reflects the purity of his doctrine; the purity of his doctrine reflects the purity of his transcendental practice; and the purity of his transcendental practice reflects the purity of his own mind."
I am still unsure of what is meant. Especially the sentence
The purity of his buddha-field reflects the purity of living beings
Of what living beings I wonder?

It means the living beings that are in the buddha field? Is it meant like that you train your mind a certain way you will perceive your reality in that way? Like if I train myself to mostly see things in a positive light, like I read in a book by Tulku Thondup "see the positive in every situation", that then you will mostly perceive everything around you as pure and good? Thus all the living beings you encounter will seem (be?) like that in your reality?

Tsongkhapafan

Re: What exactly is a buddhafield

Post by Tsongkhapafan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:08 am

A Buddhafield is synonymous with a Buddha's Pure Land, a place that is free from suffering and impurity.

The world in which we live is a reflection of the state of our mind. If our mind is impure, then our world appears impure but if our mind is completely pure, what appears is a Buddhafield.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:39 am

Tsongkhapafan wrote:A Buddhafield is synonymous with a Buddha's Pure Land, a place that is free from suffering and impurity.

The world in which we live is a reflection of the state of our mind. If our mind is impure, then our world appears impure but if our mind is completely pure, what appears is a Buddhafield.
Would you mind elaborating a bit on what you mean by the word pure in this context? what does pure mean here? thanks

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:09 am

It usually means clean.

pael

Post by pael » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:26 am

Is billion-fold world system without a buddha buddhafield?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:23 am

DGA wrote:
Tsongkhapafan wrote:A Buddhafield is synonymous with a Buddha's Pure Land, a place that is free from suffering and impurity.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on what you mean by the word pure in this context? what does pure mean here? thanks
Pure means free from true sufferings and their causes, delusions and deluded actions.

Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:25 am

pael wrote:Is billion-fold world system without a buddha buddhafield?
If your mind is pure, yes, but each Buddhafield has its own Buddha. For example, Sukhavati is the Pure Land of Buddha Amitabha, Tushita is the Pure Land of Buddha Maitreya and Keajra is the Pure Land of Buddha Heruka.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:42 pm

Tsongkhapafan wrote:
DGA wrote:

Pure means free from true sufferings and their causes, delusions and deluded actions.
Is a Buddhafield created in a process of purification (of perception or of the world)?

that is: is the world already a pure land but we don't perceive it this way due to impurities, and once those impurities are removed or transformed, we see the world as it is, a Buddhafield?

or

when one's perception or mindstream is purified, is a Buddhafield is created?

Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:23 pm

DGA wrote:
Tsongkhapafan wrote:
DGA wrote:
Is a Buddhafield created in a process of purification (of perception or of the world)?

that is: is the world already a pure land but we don't perceive it this way due to impurities, and once those impurities are removed or transformed, we see the world as it is, a Buddhafield?

or

when one's perception or mindstream is purified, is a Buddhafield is created?
Purifying the mind creates a Buddhafield; it does not exist for us before that happens. If others have pure minds, then the Buddhafield exists for them. There is an example - at one time, some people asked Milarepa in which Pure Land he had attained enlightenment. He pointed to his cold, empty cave. For Milarepa, who had a pure mind, his cave was a Pure Land but for the others who had impure minds, they saw only a cold, empty cave.

Another example - Hungry ghosts perceive fluids as impure substances such as pus and blood whereas gods perceive them as nectar. It is not as if the liquid is really nectar and the hungry ghosts do not see what actually exists; all appearances are relative to mind and what exists for one person may not exist for another. From a practical standpoint, if we do not perceive something, it doesn't exist, so for an impure mind, a Buddhafield does not exist.

Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:41 pm

The way that I've always understood it, the buddha-field is the manifestation of clear insight projected from the presence of a Buddha in an environment. Effectively, just by virtue of existing in space, the Buddha has a palpable effect on reality itself and the way that reality is perceived. It is literally easier to attain awakening when in the presence of a Buddha.

I liken this to the difference between group and private meditation... I'm not sure if it's just me, but group sessions are definitely easier to get into a calm focus, with few distractions. There has been some research that suggests that "mental effort is contagious" ( https://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/09/09/me ... ontagious/ ), or more specifically, that one individual's exertion on concentration has a measurable effect on a group's ability to exert focus. So I reckon that a Buddha's ability to enter samadhi has a profound effect on the people in his environment, and why the scriptures tell us that so many were so easily led to awakening in his presence.

Pure Lands seem to me to refer to the domain of this effect's manifestation, with some Buddhas exerting only localized buddha-fields and other Buddhas exerting buddha-fields encompassing their whole triple-world system, and Amitabha's Pure Land being a particularly unique form of this projection, empowered by his vows.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:51 pm

Sentient Light wrote:The way that I've always understood it, the buddha-field is the manifestation of clear insight projected from the presence of a Buddha in an environment. Effectively, just by virtue of existing in space, the Buddha has a palpable effect on reality itself and the way that reality is perceived. It is literally easier to attain awakening when in the presence of a Buddha.

I liken this to the difference between group and private meditation... I'm not sure if it's just me, but group sessions are definitely easier to get into a calm focus, with few distractions. There has been some research that suggests that "mental effort is contagious" ( https://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/09/09/me ... ontagious/ ), or more specifically, that one individual's exertion on concentration has a measurable effect on a group's ability to exert focus. So I reckon that a Buddha's ability to enter samadhi has a profound effect on the people in his environment, and why the scriptures tell us that so many were so easily led to awakening in his presence.

Pure Lands seem to me to refer to the domain of this effect's manifestation, with some Buddhas exerting only localized buddha-fields and other Buddhas exerting buddha-fields encompassing their whole triple-world system, and Amitabha's Pure Land being a particularly unique form of this projection, empowered by his vows.
Makes sense. Thanks.

muni

Post by muni » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:54 am

Okay. Then impure mind creates its' suffering as it is the cause of suffering. Like that?
...to remind them of their own wealth of inner potential. The pureland represents the glorious manifestation of enlightened mind as a pure, jewel-like environment. As the Buddhist master Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche said, "the essence of Padmasambhava is the same as the essence of our mind and heart." http://padmasambhavapureland.com/us/terrapura.php
“ Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek. ”
H H Dalai Lama

"Relax." nirvana-samsara do not stray from spaciousness.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”