Yaksha vs Rakshasa and the identity of Vaisravana

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Fortyeightvows

Yaksha vs Rakshasa and the identity of Vaisravana

Post by Fortyeightvows »

The pantheon is vast and I'm trying to get a handle on some things. Please help me out here friends. :anjali:

It seems that Yakshas are usually good like Tao Wessuwan and Vaisravana who is the head of the yakshas. Whereas Hariti is a Rakshasa who was basically bad until buddha converted her.
So Is the main difference between Rakshasa and Yaksha just whether they are good or bad?

Also, is Vaisrivana is a yasksha himself or just the general of the yakshas? If he is, then would his sons like Necha also be yakshas?

Are Vaisravana and Dzambhala the same deity? Is Dzambhala a yaksha? Dzambala is said to be the same as Kuebra who is a yaksha, so...

If we were to classify beings like yakshas into one of the six realms would they be asuras?
Are Vaisravana and Dzambhala asuras or devas then?

Any imput or idea on these matters is appreciated.
Jyotish

Re: Yaksha vs Rakshasa and the identity of Vaisravana

Post by Jyotish »

Interesting question. Would love to hear answers grok knowledgeable people. I think gandharvas and nagas are clarified as animals. So perhaps yakshas are also animals. They are just so close to humans and it is said not long ago in many places like nepal people make yakshas do manual work for them.
Jyotish

Post by Jyotish »

Also what is good and bad here? Yakshas or even gods could be equally 'bad' in the ordinary sense ad they will have selfish intentions precisely because they haven't realized anatma
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Fortyeightvows wrote: So Is the main difference between Rakshasa and Yaksha just whether they are good or bad?
Jyotish wrote:Also what is good and bad here? Yakshas or even gods could be equally 'bad' in the ordinary sense ad they will have selfish intentions precisely because they haven't realized anatma
They may not be enlightened but if they serve the dharma and preform their functions, then by all means invite them over for dinner
Is there an example from Buddhist mythology of a bad yaksha? The ones that immediately come to mind are all good dharma protectors.

Also I may have been incorrect about Hariti being a Rakshasa. I just now googled it and according to this she was a female yaksha.
http://ignca.nic.in/PDF_data/Hariti_Buddhist_deity.pdf
Invokingvajras

Post by Invokingvajras »

Dzambhala refers to manifestations from various bodhisattvas, and is indeed a form of Vaishravana. Considering his nephew, Puṇṇaka, is a yaksha, it may be assumed that Vaishravana is also one, but I'd have to look into this further.

Yakshas are part of the realm that the Four Kings reside which is above the world of asuras, so I would imagine them to be classified as a sort of deva, albeit the lowest class and most associated with worldly affairs and phenomena.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Invokingvajras wrote:Dzambhala refers to manifestations from various bodhisattvas, and is indeed a form of Vaishravana. Considering his nephew, Puṇṇaka, is a yaksha, it may be assumed that Vaishravana is also one, but I'd have to look into this further.

Yakshas are part of the realm that the Four Kings reside which is above the world of asuras, so I would imagine them to be classified as a sort of deva, albeit the lowest class and most associated with worldly affairs and phenomena.
I had never heard of Vaisravana's nephew. I guess Vaisravana has quite a big family.
Helpful and I think put me on track to figure some of this out. Thanks alot.
Fortyeightvows wrote: Also I may have been incorrect about Hariti being a Rakshasa. I just now googled it and according to this she was a female yaksha. http://ignca.nic.in/PDF_data/Hariti_Buddhist_deity.pdf
But I just looked and in the English threefold lotus sutra she is called a rakshasa. :shrug: I think I have to go with with Hariti as a rakshasa
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

if we focus on Tibetan tantric tradition:
- Dzambhala is not Vaisravana - he is either one of his generals or considered manifestation of enlightenment qualities of Avalokitesvara,
- Kubera is also one of generals - there are 8 of them in mandala - riding horses:
- Manibhadra holding a jewel
- Atavaka holding a lance
- Samjneya holding a curved sword
- Panchika holding a palace
- Purnabhadra holding a vase
- Kubera (wearing a makara hat) holding a sword
- Jambhala holding a jewel
- Bijakundalin (with the back turned) holding a sword

confusion comes from Hinduism who belief Kubera = Vaisravana

all of them are Yakshas who are warrior and wealth asuras (demigods)

Rakshas are also demigods but are considered malicious cannibal demons.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Vaisravana is the brother of Ravana the king of Sri Lanka who had his ass whipped by Hanuman and Rama.

Ravana is the king of the Rakshasa demons (those damn Sri Lankans). I guess that makes his brother Vaisravana a Rakshasa too.

On the other hand though: Ravana is also recognised as a great Tantric scholar, who wrote a number of manuals on astrology, (siddha) healing crafts and tantric "black" magic too.

He was also a serious devotee of Shiva and his ten heads represent his knowledge of the six shastras and the four Vedas. He was a renowned scholar.

So how evil exactly are the Rakshasa? I don't know. :shrug:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Good stuff. thanks alot guys :twothumbsup:
Fortyeightvows

Yaksha vs Rakshasa

Post by Fortyeightvows »

So what is the difference between Yaksha and Rakshasa? They seem to be used interchangeably....?
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

They are just different class of gods/demons
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... and_demons

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”