How did you find your teacher?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Punya

How did you find your teacher?

Post by Punya »

Did you walk into your first buddhist centre and that was it? Did you start in one cente and then, after looking around, connect with another? Was it through one or more surprising "coincidences" or circumstances? Did it take quite a long time? It would be great to hear (read) about your experience.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Lobsang Chojor

Re: How did you find your teacher?

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

With my teacher, it was my first teachings in person, it took me a while to be able​ to get there but once I seen him I felt a great happiness in my heart (I still feel the same way when I see him or we talk on the phone).

Another Geshe who has taught me was coincidence, we were both at a teaching by Dagri Rinpoche and we got talking about his time at Drepung and I got his email so we could discuss living in South India and Tsongkhapa's Praise of Dependent Relativity which he translated.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Punya wrote:...Did you start in one cente and then, after looking around, connect with another?
Yes. A friend at the meditation practice group I attended told, she would go to a lecture by another teacher at another center.
I was looking for "my teacher" and planned to meet several. So, I joined in there.
When I sat in that lecture it took two hours for some certain vibration to become stronger and stronger. It rose from "slightly" to "really strong". Some kind of electricity and light filled the room, in my perception.
The Lama glanced at every face from time to time. When he saw this new face (mine), he looked surprised. It felt like he was saying: "Where have you been all the time?"
Well, I ask this to myself also sometimes: Why did I meet him and Buddhism that late? :smile:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

I wonder how many of us have just one teacher, or several; and if there is clearly one we regard as our Root Guru, did we meet them first?

I started out knowing nothing about Buddhism except from a few trips to India,and some time in the Theosophical Society decades previously, so just walked into the nearest meditation class. Like so many people in the UK the nearest class was one run by a cult. Not a good way to find a teacher, for sure!

After leaving the cult I consulted Lama Dawa who told me to seek out particular empowerment. So, I sought it and received it from a wonderful teacher, Dzogchen Rinpoche. I still regard him as one of my key teachers.

I then met a wonderful Lharampa Geshe from Drepung Monastery who is still very close and precious to me. He gave me hours of teaching every week - including when I drove him home!

Good fortune smiled on me and I met a few people online who pointed me towards two of the most amazing teachers in the world (or in my world, at least) Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and Lopon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche. These are my heart teachers, and although the internet is much maligned, without it I would not have encountered them.
Last edited by Mantrik on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gyurme Kundrol

Post by Gyurme Kundrol »

I had a somewhat rare experience where I saw my teacher (root Guru really) in an email and immediately had unwavering devotion to him as Buddha and a deep desire to hear his teaching. I actually broke into tears at the mere thought of meeting what amounted to a complete stranger. It would have been alarming except it had never happened before so I decided to just go with it and see where it led with a "wait and see" attitude. He is also the first Lama I took Refuge/Bodhisattva vows with.

I waited and Ive seen that five years later I still feel this kind of devotion to him and have a deep gratitude for him now as well because he is my root Guru. I dont have to cultivate this devotion it just arises naturally for some reason and has since I first saw him. Im sure it is some past life karmic thing, but I really dont care either way!
Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X »

A friend related a story about how he asked his teacher, 'why did I pick you?'. The teacher replied, 'maybe I picked you!'
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

My teacher was the officiant at my wedding. I was a Shambhala person at the time, but somehow the teachers I asked there had teaching engagements when I'd planned my wedding. The location was where my parents lived, so my father asked around. There was one Tibetan teacher who was recommended to him by a neighbor, but this lama couldn't be reached. I think through a Google search my father found another place in Boston, and the lama agreed to talk to us. Somehow when we met it clicked, and from there I began my studies with him. He did end up officiating at my wedding also, and sang beautifully.
justsit

Post by justsit »

I had help from a dog.

I had been studying Buddhism for a while, took meditation classes, and was directed to a particular meditation instructor who was willing to teach me over the phone, as I lived quite a distance away. On one occasion we met in person and she gave me a DVD of a teaching that she thought I might enjoy. I watched attentively, and felt some slight attraction, but was not familiar with Tibetan teaching style and felt perhaps a bit under-awed.

Until the very end of the program. Fortunately, I continued to watch the last minute or two after the talk was over and Rinpoche got up to leave the room. There was a blind man seated in the front row, and he had his Service Dog with him; the dog rested quietly by the man through the whole talk. When Rinpoche came past, he stopped and very lightly touched the dog on the head, then continued on down the aisle. The dog followed him.

I'm an RN, and have some experience with disabled persons. I have never, ever, seen a Service Dog leave its person, and particularly a well-trained, adult dog, before that time or since. It completely floored me that the dog simply stood and followed Rinpoche out the door. Somehow I knew I had to find out about that teacher. Turns out the dog was right. :thumbsup:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Off topic posts removed.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Thank you Ayu. And to those who have shared their stories so far.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Terma

Post by Terma »

Around 5 years ago I saw a post on this forum regarding a live webcast of a teaching that interested me that would take place that weekend. I began watching the webcasts and very quickly I had this strong feeling that I needed to contact and meet this teacher. During the break I quickly sent an email to this teacher's center and a few days later this teacher actually responded. He then suggested that we could meet and though I had to travel a bit to do so I did just that. During the first meeting I prostated and asked to become his student to which Rinpoche simply answered in his own calm and casual way "sure!" As he smiled. :smile:

A happy day for me indeed.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

In my dreams. Stupid as it sounds.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X »

Good story, Justsit!

I met someone in the Himalayas in India long ago who told me about a man he had met and what had happened to him. I immediately knew that this was the guy for me. 10 years later, I met the man. He had no teaching, but constantly showed me my illusions. Never gave me a practice, yet opened the gate for me. Never wanted anything from anyone, never waivered from his equipose, not even for a second. He is never away from me, yet dead for many years. What incredible good fortune to have met him. Shocking, actually.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”