Copying sutras using one's blood

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
pael

Copying sutras using one's blood

Post by pael » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:56 pm

How widespread practice is copying sutras using one's blood?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

emaho

Re: Copying sutras using one's blood

Post by emaho » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:29 pm

"Blood is a very special juice." But why would anybody want to do that?
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:10 pm

pael wrote:How widespread practice is copying sutras using one's blood?
today? I don't know, but I have heard of someone who copied the entirety of the Avatamsaka Sutra (!!!) in his own blood.

Here's some context.

https://journals.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/i ... /9174/3032

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:16 pm

These days I only know of two other people who do it. I'm sure there are others though, it's not something that is really on display, right? The diabetic lancet is generally the way to go.

The main inspiration for the practice comes from the garland sutra.
Jimmy Yu's book has alot of information on the practice in historical times and even one of the disciples of Jianzhen did it, but I forget who.

emaho

Post by emaho » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:54 pm

I've found this post about the tradition of writing with blood by Sam van Schaik

https://earlytibet.com/2012/05/03/blood-writing/

I've never heard of this practice before. I like copying texts by hand, but doing it with blood is certainly not my cup of tea, I'd very much prefer Diamine Oxblood :shrug:

Van Schaik mentions that he had one historic text chemically analyzed and the ink had a very high iron content, so it was probably iron gall ink into which the writer had mixed some drops of his own blood.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:42 am

i wonder if Buddha Sakyamunni would aprove that :s

if where tantras, that would make more sense, but i don't know...
Identities are false and not true

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 am

I came across this from the Box Sutra while reading about Avalokiteshvara in a text, A Garland of Jewels by Jamgön Mipham Rinpoche. Emphasis is mine.
The Box Sutra wrote:The Bhagavat Shakyamuni once said, "It is valuable for beings to hold the name of Avalokita. His great awareness mantra of six syllables was sought for sixteen kalpas by all tathagatas. Even the great mother of tathagatas prostrates to this awareness mantra.

"Those who hold it and recite it will acquire immeasurable merit. At the time of it's recitation tathagatas and bodhisattvas equal in number to the smallest particles will gather. Millions of buddhas will enter the pores of the reciter of this mantra. They will bestow their approval, saying 'Child of family, you have well acquired something worthy of acquisition. Even all the beings who live in your belly will become irreversible bodhisattvas.' The reciter will be guarded by devas, nagas, yakshas, and others.

"Anyone who keeps this mantra on their body will achieve a vajra body and a buddha's wisdom. They will acquire all complete qualities, including confidence, wisdom, love, and the paramitas. They will quickly achieve the unsurpassable awakening of buddhahood.

"Any being who touches or sees this mantra will become a bodhisattva who has reached the end of rebirth. This great awareness mantra pulls out the root of samsara. It guides one to liberation and omniscience. In search of this mantra, one should fill all of Jambudvipa with the seven jewels and offer it. If someone wishes to write this mantra down but lacks ink, it would be excellent for them to use their blood as ink, their skin as paper, and their bones as a pen."
http://tharlam.blogspot.com/2012/02/dharma-ink.html

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

crazy-man

Post by crazy-man » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:38 am

Blood writing in Buddhist scrolls
http://blogs.bl.uk/untoldlives/2012/01/ ... rolls.html

Qiyuan and the Lotos Sutra in The Hidden Lamp: Stories from Twenty-Five Centuries of Awakened Women
https://books.google.de/books?id=is06Aw ... od&f=false

FIVE SLICING, BURNING, AND BLOOD WRITING: Karmic Transformations of Bodies in Living Karma: The Religious Practices of Ouyi Zhixu
https://books.google.de/books?id=hUoZBQ ... es&f=false

Embodying the Text through Blood Writing in Sanctity and Self-Inflicted Violence in Chinese Religions, 1500-1700
https://books.google.de/books?id=jVsWDA ... ra&f=false

Writing with Blood for Deceased Parents: An Example of Tension-Conciliation between Buddhists and Confucians in China
http://www.academia.edu/24630480/Writin ... s_in_China

diamind

Post by diamind » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:i wonder if Buddha Sakyamunni would aprove that :s

if where tantras, that would make more sense, but i don't know...
He would love it! If you really had no ink. However, using blood symbolically mixed with ink I would say is a great perversion, and seriously shrouded in wrong veiw.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Soma999 wrote:But if someone bleed, he can offer the blood who has leaved the body to the Buddha. Then, it can't be used by any kind of spirits. It will be only used for good things.

It's the same with menstrual blood. Women can consecrate it, just thinking and saying "all the blood leaving my body i consecrate to the Buddha". This is not the blood per se which is offered, but the subtle energy which emanates from the blood. Everything is food. If you give it to the Buddha, it will feed Buddha activity.
We were talking about writing out sutras. No one writes outs sutras in blood from a wound or anything like that.
There are preparations that go before the practice to purify the ink. From the point of view of an ordinary being, there would be nothing pure about the blood you are talking about and it wouldnt be something one would offer.
diamind wrote: However, using blood symbolically mixed with ink I would say is a great perversion, and seriously shrouded in wrong veiw.
I've never done it that way but I think it is common. Blood quagulates (turns thick) very quickly, I have heard that people will mix it with things to avoid this. Part of the diet preparations help with this too.
I think it just let them write more at one time.

Invokingvajras

Post by Invokingvajras » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:20 pm

It was not a practice unheard of in Japanese Buddhism. The nun Bunchi was particularly fond of using body parts to make Dharma relics.

https://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/2718

An excerpt from the link reads:

"Using one’s own blood instead of ink was a way of showing extraordinary devotion involving “personal sacrifice.” The virtues of this act were promoted in several scriptures; one example is the following passage in the Ta chih tu lun 大智度論(J. Daichidoron): “If you truly love the [Buddhist] law, you should take your skin and use it as paper,take one of your bones and use it as a brush, and use your blood to write this (T. 25.178c)."
Spiraling Down the Middle Path

♒⚡~若悩乱者頭破七分~⚡♑

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:01 am

Palzang Jangchub wrote:I came across this from the Box Sutra while reading about Avalokiteshvara in a text, A Garland of Jewels by Jamgön Mipham Rinpoche. Emphasis is mine.
The Box Sutra wrote:The Bhagavat Shakyamuni once said, "It is valuable for beings to hold the name of Avalokita. His great awareness mantra of six syllables was sought for sixteen kalpas by all tathagatas. Even the great mother of tathagatas prostrates to this awareness mantra.

"Those who hold it and recite it will acquire immeasurable merit. At the time of it's recitation tathagatas and bodhisattvas equal in number to the smallest particles will gather. Millions of buddhas will enter the pores of the reciter of this mantra. They will bestow their approval, saying 'Child of family, you have well acquired something worthy of acquisition. Even all the beings who live in your belly will become irreversible bodhisattvas.' The reciter will be guarded by devas, nagas, yakshas, and others.

"Anyone who keeps this mantra on their body will achieve a vajra body and a buddha's wisdom. They will acquire all complete qualities, including confidence, wisdom, love, and the paramitas. They will quickly achieve the unsurpassable awakening of buddhahood.

"Any being who touches or sees this mantra will become a bodhisattva who has reached the end of rebirth. This great awareness mantra pulls out the root of samsara. It guides one to liberation and omniscience. In search of this mantra, one should fill all of Jambudvipa with the seven jewels and offer it. If someone wishes to write this mantra down but lacks ink, it would be excellent for them to use their blood as ink, their skin as paper, and their bones as a pen."
http://tharlam.blogspot.com/2012/02/dharma-ink.html
if

by the way, thank you!!!! this text is precious :bow:
Identities are false and not true

WuMing

Post by WuMing » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 pm

pael wrote:How widespread practice is copying sutras using one's blood?
I know of a Western Buddhist teacher who received a Heart Sutra Calligraphy from a contemporary Chinese Ch'an Master written with his own blood. So it is still done nowadays, but probably not very widespread, I guess.
今以佛眼觀之佛與眾生同住解脫之床。無此無彼無二平等。
Now, observing with the eye of the Buddha, both the Buddha and ordinary beings are in the same liberated state. There is neither this nor that: there is only non-duality and identity.
- 空海 Kūkai in Unjigi 吽字義 The Meaning of the Letter Hūṃ
- Kūkai on the Philosophy of Language by Takagi Shingen and Dreitlein Eijō
_______
Śrī Singha said to Padmasambhava:
Since buddhas and sentient beings are inseparable and the same, it is necessary to respect all sentient beings as being on the same level with the buddhas. Can you?
- translated by Malcolm N. Smith

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:31 am

Awesome thread.

The following would be Pure Land practice, and moreover consecrated by one's own blood by taking a sewing needle or blood lancet and mixing a few drops of your own blood into (preferably natural) ink (like J. Herbin; although any ink ought to do) and copying the following section of this Sutra:

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/words-of-th ... dless-life

ཨོཾ་ན་མོ་བྷ་ག་ཝ་ཏེ། ཨ་པ་རི་མི་ཏ་ཨཱ་ཡུརྫྙཱ་ན་སུ་བི་ནི་ཤྩི་ཏ་ཏེ་ཛོ་རྭ་ཛཱ་ཡ། ཏ་ཐཱ་ག་ཏཱ་ཡ། ཨརྷ་ཏེ་སམྱཀྶཾ་བུདྡྷཱ་ཡ། ཏདྱ་ཐཱ། ཨོཾ་པུཎྱེ་པུཎྱེ་མ་ཧཱ་པུཎྱེ། ཨ་པ་རི་མི་ཏ་པུཎྱེ་ཨ་པ་རི་མི་ཏ་པུཎྱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་སཾ་བྷཱ་རོ་པ་ཙི་ཏེ། ཨོཾ་སརྦ་སཾ་སྐཱ་ར་པ་རི་ཤུདྡྷ་དྷརྨ་ཏེ་ག་ག་ན་ས་མུཏྒ་ཏེ་སྭ་བྷཱ་ཝ་བི་ཤུདྡྷེ་མ་ཧཱ་ན་ཡ་པ་རི་ཝཱ་རེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།
om namo bhagawate | aparimita ayurjnana subinischita tejo rajaya | tathagataya arhate samyaksambuddhaya | tadyatha om punye punye maha punye | aparimita punye aparimita punya jnana sambharo pachite | om sarva samskara parishuddha dharmate gagana samudgate svabhava vishuddhe mahanaya parivare svaha |
oṃ namo bhagavate aparimitāyur-jñāna-suviniścita-tejo-rājāya tathāgatāya arhate samyak saṃbuddhāya | tadyathā | oṃ puṇye puṇye mahā-puṇye 'parimita-puṇye 'parimita-puṇya-jñāna-saṃbhāropacite | oṃ sarva-saṃskāra-pariśuddhe dharmate gagana-samudgate svabhāva-viśuddhe mahā-naya-parivāre svāhā |

Make sure to have the intent of the Three Excellences or Three Noble Principles, and record it with your phone's video camera and post it to YouTube or any other social media to encourage others to do the same.
“...we should try to acquire clairvoyance. Without it, we are like a baby bird whose wings are undeveloped and has not yet grown feathers and remains stuck in its nest, unable to fly. Without clairvoyance, we cannot work for other sentient beings.” — Khunu Lama
“Just as a bird can not fly without both wings,
The welfare of others cannot be accomplished without the higher faculties of perception,
So diligently strive for your own wellbeing, whilst mentally considering the welfare of others.” — Longchenpa

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 am

pael wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:56 pm
I have no idea. But what an absolutely fatuous practice.

Why not just get enlightened.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 am

Simon E. wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 am
pael wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:56 pm
I have no idea. But what an absolutely fatuous practice.

Why not just get enlightened.
:good:
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:59 am

Why not do both.

Perhaps it's a Sutrayana level practice, but what can it hurt to have a brief instant of uncomfortableness, that is to spill up a drop or two of one's blood for the sake of the Dharma.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
“...we should try to acquire clairvoyance. Without it, we are like a baby bird whose wings are undeveloped and has not yet grown feathers and remains stuck in its nest, unable to fly. Without clairvoyance, we cannot work for other sentient beings.” — Khunu Lama
“Just as a bird can not fly without both wings,
The welfare of others cannot be accomplished without the higher faculties of perception,
So diligently strive for your own wellbeing, whilst mentally considering the welfare of others.” — Longchenpa

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 am

Oh behave... :roll:
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

Spelare

Post by Spelare » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm aware that there are reports of people taking this literally, and that sounds pretty metal. A bit macabre and theatrical, but who could doubt your commitment to the dharma afterwards? As for me, I'm not about to open any veins, at least not of my physical body. So, I'll take it metaphorically as an exhortation to have the dharma in one's blood. I guess I'm just not hardcore like that.

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:20 pm

Spelare wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:18 pm
I'm aware that there are reports of people taking this literally, and that sounds pretty metal. A bit macabre and theatrical, but who could doubt your commitment to the dharma afterwards? As for me, I'm not about to open any veins, at least not of my physical body. So, I'll take it metaphorically as an exhortation to have the dharma in one's blood. I guess I'm just not hardcore like that.
I am not so sure that harming beings, even if it is yourself, for no good reason is a sign of commitment to the Dharma.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”