How do I stop being a vegetarian and not cause death?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kaccāni

Re: How do I stop being a vegetarian and not cause death?

Post by Kaccāni » Sat May 27, 2017 10:07 pm

Malabsorption in the gut may have many causes. I'm sure not all are known yet. They say B12 can be a pain when it comes to that.

Best
Kc
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!

rory

Post by rory » Sat May 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Since you wound up in the emergency room. The first thing you need to do is

1) got to a physician who specializes in vegetarian diets and get a complete check-up! Do this yearly.

I'm 90% vegan & my doctor is a uni professor who is veg. I see him yearly and he insists I take a multi-vitamin, and separate B-12
he would like me to eat fish from time to time and I do it irregularly. I am in excellent health! So go to an expert who will have all the knowledge to have you continue as a vegetarian.

2) Buddhism and killing animals:
You will get different answers depending on whether you practice Tibetan Buddhism or East Asian Buddhism
Tibetan Buddhism seems to hold that animals cannot directly become buddhas, they must be reborn as humans so eating them with prayers is a way to help them. Ask a Tibetan Buddhist from your school what to do.

East Asian Buddhism holds, according to the Lotus Sutra, that all living beings have buddhanature and can become Buddhas. Kannon comes to animals as animals to preach the Dharma, so you are ending a life. So vegetarianism is very much encouraged. If you eat fish then buy wild fish as it is less cruel and participate in temple services that involve repentance. Express gratitude for the fish that gave their lives for you. You can even sponsor a service where you pray for their rebirth in Amida's Pure Land.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:51 pm

catlady2112 wrote: For people who have suggested I just add supplements: I am taking shots and huge dosages of b12 supplements (80,000 x RDA). It's possible that aging changes b12 absorption so we don't know why it is happening. I am in danger of having irreversible nerve damage, so this cannot be resolved with just adding a supplement. My doctor is a vegetarian, so she is sympathetic to my situation.
It's fairly well established that as age increases, B12 malabsorption also increases. Malabsorption is the main cause of deficiency in the elderly and it's not limited to just vegetarians. Something like 20% of people over age 60 have borderline deficiency. Harvard Health recommends that everyone over the age of 50 take some kind of B12 supplement. The supplement I take weekly is 83,000 RDA. Not because I had a deficiency, that's just the routine recommended dosage for vegans. Shots are the most popular method to correct a deficiency so I'm not surprised you are getting some. However, oral supplements and food are basically the same thing as they both have to be absorbed in the intestines. Oral supplements can even be better than food if the dosage is high enough. Especially so if your problem is due to intrinsic factor production, which is a protein produced in the stomach that allows B12 to be absorbed in the small intestine. Generally, if the problem can't be solved by oral supplements, then it can't be solved by B12 rich food either, assuming the dosages are near equal.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”