What are the General Mahayana Teachings?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dharma Flower

What are the General Mahayana Teachings?

Post by Dharma Flower » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:16 am

For the sake of inter-sectarian harmony and understanding, what are the doctrines, concepts or teachings common to all (or most) sects and schools of Mahayana Buddhism?

I realize that different sects will have different interpretations of these same concepts or teachings.

But at the most basic level, what are the doctrines or concepts that all (or most) Mahayana schools and sects share in common?

Thank you for your help. :thanks:

javier.espinoza.t

Re: What are the General Mahayana Teachings?

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:29 am

Dharma Flower wrote:For the sake of inter-sectarian harmony and understanding, what are the doctrines, concepts or teachings common to all (or most) sects and schools of Mahayana Buddhism?

I realize that different sects will have different interpretations of these same concepts or teachings.

But at the most basic level, what are the doctrines or concepts that all (or most) Mahayana schools and sects share in common?

Thank you for your help. :thanks:
I don't know about schools, but i have certainty that Mahayana is a training, not philosophies :smile:

in this sense is much far more experimental than religious. This comes from my experience, which can be redundant xD

thinking on helping is of no help, what a wasted chance if there's no action!

smcj

Post by smcj » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:10 am

Karma,& reincarnation, no-self & emptiness, nirvana & enlightenment for starters'
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Robert Hunter

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:18 am

smcj wrote:Karma,& reincarnation, no-self & emptiness, nirvana & enlightenment for starters'
Aren't those things found in Theravada as well? What stands out specifically about Mahayana Buddhism?

I've gone all-in for Mahayana Buddhism, not for any school or sect, but for the Mahayana in general. I've taken the Bodhisattva vow, and I'm not turning back.

Marc

Post by Marc » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:33 am

The 6 Paramitas

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:43 am

Marc wrote:The 6 Paramitas

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:07 am

Bodhicitta

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:34 pm

It's kind of weird that I didn't learn about the Six Paramitas until recently, simply because I belonged to a sect which didn't emphasize them. Imagine if there were a sect of Theravada Buddhism that didn't emphasize the Eightfold Path.

All sects and schools have their own practice which they claim lead to Buddhahood, but the path to Buddhahood that embraces Buddhists of all sects and schools, whether we realize it yet or not, is the Six Paramitas.

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:12 am

Are there more general Mahayana teachings that I should know about? I appreciate your help. :thanks:

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:03 am

The Bodhisattva path and the Bodhisattva ideal are what make the Mahayana distinct as a school of Buddhism. While concepts like mind-only, emptiness, etc, can help better our understanding of reality, it's putting the Six Paramitas into practice which actually leads to Buddhahood.

The Six Paramitas are where the rubber meets the road, and it's no accident that self-giving is first among the Six Paramitas, because that is the true Bodhisattva way. The Buddha himself attained Buddhahood from many lifetimes of selfless service.

We can have endless debates over metaphysical beliefs and finer points of doctrine, but the Six Paramitas draw the line in the sand as to whether you're living as a person who aspires to Buddhahood, a Bodhisattva, or not.

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Marc wrote:The 6 Paramitas
And the extension of the idea of the self to be negated into the objects of phenomena.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:40 am

While there are many different sects of Mahayana Buddhism, I am happy that all (or most) share the Six Paramitas of the Bodhisattva path in common.

The best kind of dialog or discussion is when you are first at least able to recognize what you both value and share in common, even with the possible differences.

Furthermore, if we practice the Six Paramitas, as the Buddha intended for our day-to-day life, any possible discussion will be helpful and peaceful.

Nebetmiw

Post by Nebetmiw » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:00 am

Just a nice Thank you for your posts DharmaFlower. :namaste: