We are a Kali Yuga culture

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: We are a Kali Yuga culture

Post by Queequeg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Vasana wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:18 am
With kids as young as 2 or 3 using smart phones and tablets I wouldn't be surprised if this influenced genetics after long enough.
Before we genetically adapt, we'll just have USB ports implanted at the base of our skulls.

Want to learn xhosa? Just plug in this thumbdrive!

I'm hoping this technology comes sooner than later.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 pm
Vasana wrote:
With kids as young as 2 or 3 using smart phones and tablets I wouldn't be surprised if this influenced genetics after long enough.
Before we genetically adapt, we'll just have USB ports implanted at the base of our skulls.

Want to learn xhosa? Just plug in this thumbdrive!

I'm hoping this technology comes sooner than later.
:rolling: Go go cyborg master race!
"We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." - Star trek quote

It's funny that I actually say before to my co-workers: that multiple computer monitors are not enough,
I would need more cybernetic enhancements to use them properly!

But on the other extreme would be Luddites, which isn't too good either as it denies the wisdom and benefits of technological innovations. So yeah, make your own choices!

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 am

We use weapons of mass destruction. Nuclear devices, biological and chemical weapons. The prisons, internment camps, detainment centers, concentration camps, whatever you call it, are doing business. We torture or captives, and preferably let our "allies" do it so we pretend it's not our agenda. Sometimes they disappear. Sometimes simply murdered and the bodies dumped. We even lock children up, where they are sexually abused by captors and captives alike. It gets in the press, but no one seems to care. We elect leaders who are gangsters, crime-lords, and child rapists; and if it's a two-party system both sides are found to be doing this. This isn't just the dark web, this is the front page, and mostly it is ignored. Black markets in weapons, drugs, slaves.. Our Post-Colonial economic inequality system, based in cloaked gun-boat diplomacy looks too much like the movie Soylent Green, or Soylent Red. We sell our silence for a bigger slice of the soylent... it does look a little like the Kali Yuga maybe? Oh, I forget to mention that over 90% of victims of war are now women and children. I think we're fighting in 7 wars now? Anyone know?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:30 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 am
We use weapons of mass destruction. Nuclear devices, biological and chemical weapons. The prisons, internment camps, detainment centers, concentration camps, whatever you call it, are doing business. We torture or captives, and preferably let our "allies" do it so we pretend it's not our agenda. Sometimes they disappear. Sometimes simply murdered and the bodies dumped. We even lock children up, where they are sexually abused by captors and captives alike. It gets in the press, but no one seems to care. We elect leaders who are gangsters, crime-lords, and child rapists; and if it's a two-party system both sides are found to be doing this. This isn't just the dark web, this is the front page, and mostly it is ignored. Black markets in weapons, drugs, slaves.. Our Post-Colonial economic inequality system, based in cloaked gun-boat diplomacy looks too much like the movie Soylent Green, or Soylent Red. We sell our silence for a bigger slice of the soylent... it does look a little like the Kali Yuga maybe? Oh, I forget to mention that over 90% of victims of war are now women and children. I think we're fighting in 7 wars now? Anyone know?
True. But look at the decaying prices on these deals.

anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:24 am

For those who are data nerds ;) : https://ourworldindata.org/war-and-peace
This entry presents an empirical perspective on war and peace.

We also published a data visualization history of human violence here on OurWorldInData.org which presents empirical data showing that we are now living in the most peaceful time in our species' existence.
Is the world living in the most peaceful time in our species' existence? Guess it depends on where you live. Not doubt some parts of the world are hell on earth. Others, not so much.

(BTW, interesting website in general.)

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:16 pm

anjali wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:24 am
For those who are data nerds ;) : https://ourworldindata.org/war-and-peace
This entry presents an empirical perspective on war and peace.

We also published a data visualization history of human violence here on OurWorldInData.org which presents empirical data showing that we are now living in the most peaceful time in our species' existence.
Is the world living in the most peaceful time in our species' existence? Guess it depends on where you live. Not doubt some parts of the world are hell on earth. Others, not so much.

(BTW, interesting website in general.)
I don't want to lose sight on the fact, that since I'm at the low end of Upper-Middle Class USA, i'm in the top 10% socio-economically (with a Degree in Art and Design), which is enough to be in the top 1% worldwide. Most people around me simply are not that aware of the suffering, or of the sociology of poverty, or the economic impulses that lead to violence and war. Humanity is still prone to "fits of genocide." Violence, crime, lust, addiction - in these we live in hell. My own path from Hell Being to Human Being to No Being is still just a work in progress no matter how self-righteous this sounds. Thanks for the link!
:consoling:
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Vasana wrote:
What???

It's not like somebody that is more proficient on Tinder, will procreate more, and thus influence the human gene pool.

You do know how genetic evolution works, right?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

justsit

Post by justsit » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:13 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:16 pm
Most people around me simply are not that aware of the suffering, or of the sociology of poverty, or the economic impulses that lead to violence and war.
Where I sit, there are many people who are aware of the suffering, etc., but have simply given up on trying to fix it, when they are stymied at every turn by bureaucracy and willful ignorance. Many are all too aware that many of the gains of the past 50 years have been erased in the past two. The deck is stacked and compassion fatigue has set in. One can only bang one's head against the wall for so long before pain becomes overwhelming. :broke:

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm

justsit wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:13 pm
SunWuKong wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:16 pm
Most people around me simply are not that aware of the suffering, or of the sociology of poverty, or the economic impulses that lead to violence and war.
Where I sit, there are many people who are aware of the suffering, etc., but have simply given up on trying to fix it, when they are stymied at every turn by bureaucracy and willful ignorance. Many are all too aware that many of the gains of the past 50 years have been erased in the past two. The deck is stacked and compassion fatigue has set in. One can only bang one's head against the wall for so long before pain becomes overwhelming. :broke:
This is exaggerating Trump's significance to the point of being defeatist IMO. Many of the larger problems mentioned in this thread recently firstly are not just about Trump, they are about our entire system, and were perpetuated by Obama and other supposedly "liberal" politicians back through US history as well. Things like war profiteering and economic imperialism are the domain out our entire political system, minus a few stalwarts. If anything Trump seems less competent at them than his predecessors, if only because he is under more scrutiny.

The stuff that does make sense to be upset about - the dismantling of what remains of the commons in the US, the attempted (though not successfully) rolling back of civil rights, increase in right wing terrorism types of activities. All exceptionally upsetting, i'm sure doubly so for those who are the first targets of such peoople... but hardly a rollback of the last 50 years socially, I don't think these guys deserve that much credit.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

stevie

Post by stevie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:56 pm

This is really a strange thread. A thread not concerned with Mahayana but concerned with identification of deceptive self with an alleged/deceptive external world.

justsit

Post by justsit » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:34 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm
justsit wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:13 pm
Where I sit,...
This is exaggerating Trump's significance ... but hardly a rollback of the last 50 years socially, I don't think these guys deserve that much credit.
Again, from where I sit, age 66, having lived through significant positive changes particularly in the areas of civil rights and social reform in the 60's and 70's, the events of the past two years especially are very disheartening. I'm not trying lay all the on blame the person in the White House or put the finger on any one group or any one time frame, but there is no denying the tenor of civil discourse has degenerated in that time span. Laws and policies covering the breadth of government that have taken years to get passed and enforced have seen legislative reversals. Hate groups are numbered at an all time high in the US. Climate change is considered a joke by many influential legislators. And these trends are not just seen here.

With my realistically probable death in the next 10-20 years, versus 40-50+ years for a younger person, my perspective is obviously shorter. Things may improve in the future for many posters here - and I hope they do - but for older persons? Probably not.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:24 am

stevie wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:56 pm
This is really a strange thread. A thread not concerned with Mahayana but concerned with identification of deceptive self with an alleged/deceptive external world.
You are more than welcome to not participate in it if it doesn't meet your liking.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”