Do Boddhisatvas experience a continuity of identity?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
M.G.

Do Boddhisatvas experience a continuity of identity?

Post by M.G. »

Something I've wondered.

How much continuity of identity, if any, do Boddhisattvas experience as between incarnations?

It's hard for me to imagine that almost all of the components of identity - memory, personality, cognition - arent devastated or obliterated by death, but then again, I'm not any kind of a yogi.
Malcolm

Re: Do Boddhisatvas experience a continuity of identity?

Post by Malcolm »

M.G. wrote:Something I've wondered.

How much continuity of identity, if any, do Boddhisattvas experience as between incarnations?

It's hard for me to imagine that almost all of the components of identity - memory, personality, cognition - arent devastated or obliterated by death, but then again, I'm not any kind of a yogi.

Depends on how high. 8th stage on up, yes.
Temicco

Post by Temicco »

Malcolm wrote:

Source?
"Deliberate upon that which does not deliberate."
-Yaoshan Weiyan (tr. chintokkong)

若覓真不動。動上有不動。
"Search for what it really is to be unmoving in what does not move amid movement."
-Huineng (tr. Mark Crosbie)

ཚེ་འདི་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ཆོས་པ་མིན། །
འཁོར་བ་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ངེས་འབྱུང་མིན། །
བདག་དོན་ལ་ཞེན་ན་བྱང་སེམས་མིན། །
འཛིན་པ་བྱུང་ན་ལྟ་བ་མིན། །
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Temicco wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Source?
This is the stage in which bodhisattvas attain power over birth. Source, Abhisamayalaṃkāra, etc.
Temicco

Post by Temicco »

Malcolm wrote:
Temicco wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Source?
This is the stage in which bodhisattvas attain power over birth. Source, Abhisamayalaṃkāra, etc.
Thanks.
"Deliberate upon that which does not deliberate."
-Yaoshan Weiyan (tr. chintokkong)

若覓真不動。動上有不動。
"Search for what it really is to be unmoving in what does not move amid movement."
-Huineng (tr. Mark Crosbie)

ཚེ་འདི་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ཆོས་པ་མིན། །
འཁོར་བ་ལ་ཞེན་ན་ངེས་འབྱུང་མིན། །
བདག་དོན་ལ་ཞེན་ན་བྱང་སེམས་མིན། །
འཛིན་པ་བྱུང་ན་ལྟ་བ་མིན། །
ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining »

Malcolm wrote:

Then what happens to Bodhisattvas on lower grounds? Say if someone attained kensho or a lower ground what happens to that attainment in the next life?
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

Malcolm wrote:
Temicco wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Source?
Thank you Malcolm.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”