Buddha as a god

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Buddha as a god

Post by DGA » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am

In some traditions, one Buddha or another is identified as the "eternal Buddha," the one and only if you will. In these cases, you see Buddha Shakyamuni (to give one example) basically deified. Related discussions:

viewtopic.php?t=17143

viewtopic.php?t=20877

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=26553

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=26459

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:23 am

DGA wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am
, you see Buddha Shakyamuni (to give one example) basically deified.
That's a mischaracterization, but I can see why one might conclude that.
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in.
Great for solving problems, after it creates the problems."
-Modest Mouse

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 am

The title Bhagavan, often translated as World Honored One, was, I understand a title of Brahma. To an extent the wires might have gotten crossed when that title was attributed to Buddha.

I read this in Discourse in Early Buddhist Art comparing Buddhist aniconic images to other images associated with other indic religious tradistions.
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in.
Great for solving problems, after it creates the problems."
-Modest Mouse

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:56 am

thomaslaw wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:46 am
philji wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:01 pm
Not sure when but the hindu traditions at some point welcomed him into the fold of avatars. He is regarded as the 8th i think. Hindus believe in 10 main avatars but there are countless others they accept including jesus . The hindu concept of das avatar( 10 descents of the diving into human) could be explored for more info. The puranic literature describes this.
Only the Vishnu tradition in Hinduism regards the Buddha as one of the 10 avatars. The Shiva tradition does not think so. :meditate:

Thomas
I believe someone decided in the 12th century or there abouts ...lol...to say Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu....most hindus believe this to be fact...
it was done to bring Buddhism under the guise of hinduism

DharmaChakra

Post by DharmaChakra » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Namaste

I am sure this is a hot topic with many diverse views. Its quite complex and we are dealing with cross culture and how different cultures define and understand things often times from their own perspective.

Deva does not mean God, they are universal luminaries made of sound and light or shabda and joyti , not in the Western Monotheistic meaning, not even close, there is not really any Sanskrit word that means God, in fact Monotheism is not really a strong theme in any of the dharma traditions even among the dualistic bhakti schools, not if they are understood properly without interpretation. The word God is only used in communication terms with other cultures, sanskrit has its own language and meanings.

The deity forms of the Buddha started with Greek influence, Among the earliest and most common symbols of Buddhism are the stupa (and the relics therein), the Dharmachakra or Dharma wheel, the Bodhi Tree (and the distinctively shaped leaves of this tree) and the lotus flower. These symbols would decorate most early Buddhist temples and sites.

There is also to much fuss about Buddha being known as a avatar of vishnu, this is not a simple topic Buddha is part of Das Avatara or ten manifestations of vishnu, in bhagavad gita Sri Krsna says that all janmas or births/avatars are of transcendent nature~ divyam, so there is a deeper meaning behind this. Some say that Hinduism took over Buddhism, I tend to see it as Hinduism absorbed the Buddha Dharma and restored society, which needed certain attention due to foreign rule/invasion, the Muslims/Moghals did far more damage and Hindu culture which is not averse to war gave refuge, so Buddha Dharma is safe and included with Vedanta, although many wont see it, unless there is insight or a naturalization of dharma. All of these subjects are not simple, as we are dealing with hundreds and thousands of years of social and political changes and also the deeper and more subtle aspects of the meditation esoteric dharma traditions of the sages that have a direct and intimate influence in the social and political world, what to speak of the negative influence sectarianism and power of control within religion and fearmongering or intellectualizing into acceptance of the literal word has caused.

:anjali: