Bey-yuls or hidden lands? Is this real in Buddhism?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
M.G.

Bey-yuls or hidden lands? Is this real in Buddhism?

Post by M.G. » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 pm

I recently heard an acquaintance who is a fairly serious dharma practitioner made a reference about there being a notion of Bey-Yuls (transliterated, so spelling may not be correct) or hidden lands in Tibetan Buddhism.

Is this authentic or just Western fantasy? And if the first, what can be publically said?

pemachophel

Re: Bey-yuls or hidden lands? Is this real in Buddhism?

Post by pemachophel » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Absolutely authentic within the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism. If you'd like to know more about bey-yuls, read One Step from Paradise, the story of Tulzhug Lingpa's attempt to go to a bey-yul on the slopes of Kanchenjungna (Kang Chen Dzod Nga) on the Sikkimese/Nepali border.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:03 am

M.G. wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 pm
I recently heard an acquaintance who is a fairly serious dharma practitioner made a reference about there being a notion of Bey-Yuls (transliterated, so spelling may not be correct) or hidden lands in Tibetan Buddhism.

Is this authentic or just Western fantasy? And if the first, what can be publically said?
The idea of Hidden Lands first gained attention in Tibet through the revelations of Rigzin Godem in the 14th century, who among seven hidden lands, identified the upper valley of Sikkim as a hidden land, a safe place for practitioners to find refuge in times of war and strife.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Relax, don’t worry about all the problems of samsara. Everything is relative. But try to be present.

— Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

M.G.

Post by M.G. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:26 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:03 am
M.G. wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 pm

The idea of Hidden Lands first gained attention in Tibet through the revelations of Rigzin Godem in the 14th century, who among seven hidden lands, identified the upper valley of Sikkim as a hidden land, a safe place for practitioners to find refuge in times of war and strife.

Is the idea, at least in part, that spiritual practices are more potent at Bey-Yuls?

M.G.

Post by M.G. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:02 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:45 pm
Absolutely authentic within the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism. If you'd like to know more about bey-yuls, read One Step from Paradise, the story of Tulzhug Lingpa's attempt to go to a bey-yul on the slopes of Kanchenjungna (Kang Chen Dzod Nga) on the Sikkimese/Nepali border.
Thank you! Will look it up.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:56 am

My teacher is from the Bey-yul of PemaKo. So, yeah... I guess they are real. He is! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde