study group for Chih-I's work on Meditation Maka Shikan

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
rory

study group for Chih-I's work on Meditation Maka Shikan

Post by rory »

Over in the East Asian forum, Rev. Jikai an Australian Tendai Shu priest, living in Japan is going to start a study group for Chih-I (Zhiyi) 's great work on contemplation: the Great Calming and Contemplation, Mo-ho-chih-kuan/Maka Shikan

Rev Jikai knows Japanese and Chinese so this will be an excellent opportunity to really understand this great and seminal Buddhist work.
Everyone is welcome, he will be posting text, so if you don't have the book: no problem!
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: study group for Chih-I's work on Meditation Maka Shikan

Post by Queequeg »

:twothumbsup:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”