Sastavadava and ucchedavada

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
PuerAzaelis

Sastavadava and ucchedavada

Post by PuerAzaelis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 pm

We are told that eternalism is the translation of "sastavadava" and nihilism is "ucchedavada".

Is there a reliable source for a literal translation of these terms? What do they actually mean?
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Malcolm

Re: Sastavadava and ucchedavada

Post by Malcolm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:16 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 pm
We are told that eternalism is the translation of "sastavadava" and nihilism is "ucchedavada".

Is there a reliable source for a literal translation of these terms? What do they actually mean?
Ucchedavāda means "those who advocate cutting off," that is annihilation rather than nihilism. It is the assertion that since the person ceases at death, there is no karma, not future lives, etc.

Śaśvatavāda is the assertion that an entity, an atman, a world, etc., is permanent and undergoes no change, hence eternalism.

Both positions contradict dependent origination, the middle way.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:29 pm

What is the etymology of these words? The reason I ask is that I heard that they relate to the question of whether the fruit definitely results from (sastavadava) or does not dependably result from (ucchedavada) the seed. Hence they pertain more to a view of causation rather than existence.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:33 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:29 pm
What is the etymology of these words? The reason I ask is that I heard that they relate to the question of whether the fruit definitely results from (sastavadava) or does not dependably result from (ucchedavada) the seed. Hence they pertain more to a view of causation rather than existence.
The original usage is the one I gave. However, there are many implications that can be drawn.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Would it be valid to ever use "order" and "chaos" for these terms?

pael

Post by pael » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:16 pm
PuerAzaelis wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Ucchedavāda means "those who advocate cutting off," that is annihilation rather than nihilism. It is the assertion that since the person ceases at death, there is no karma, not future lives, etc.
Is it same as thinking death is like fainting or sleep from which you won't wake up? Or thinking 'death is the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism'? Is this ucchedavada? I want faint and I don't want to wake up. I want to sleep forever. I wish person ceases at death. I fear person doesn't cease at death. I can't be sure. Does this make me annihilationist? How to solve problem? Any good study material about dependent origination or other suggestions? I'm confused.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:36 pm
Would it be valid to ever use "order" and "chaos" for these terms?
No.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Ok ty.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:27 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:29 pm
What is the etymology of these words?
Śāśvata seems to literally mean "eternal". I can't find the PIE root.

Uccheda seems to mean "abolition" or "get rid of". I can't find the PIE root for this one either.
如無為、如是難見、不動、不屈、不死、無漏、覆蔭、洲渚、濟渡、依止、擁護、不流轉、離熾焰、離燒然、流通、清涼、微妙、安隱、無病、無所有、涅槃。
Like this is the uncreated, like this is that which is difficult to realize, with no moving, no bending, no dying. Utterly lacking secretions and smothered in the dark, it is the island shore. Where there is ferrying, it is the crossing. It is dependency's ceasing, it is the end of circulating transmissions. It is the exhaustion of the flame, it is the ending of the burning. Flowing openly, pure and cool, with secret subtlety, and calm occultation, lacking ailment, lacking owning, nirvāṇa.
Asaṁskṛtadharmasūtra, Sermon on the Uncreated Phenomenon, T99.224b7, Saṁyuktāgama 890

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”