Wenchang Wang Good?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Wenchang Wang Good?

Post by Tenma » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:37 am

Is the offering and praying to Wenchang Wang alright? He is part of the Jade Emperor's(aka. Sakra, Indra) retinue, thereby making him the retinue of a Buddhist protector. Is Wenchang Wang alright then? Also, is Hindu Saraswati with 4 arms(vina, crystal mala, and book) alright to practice with including her Hindu mantras and makings offerings? I want to know if the Hindu Saraswati is the same with Buddhist Saraswati(Varavina Saraswati, Red Saraswati, Magzor Gyalmo, etc.) and if I can use these mantras:
http://www.prophet666.com/2012/05/saras ... ks-in.html

ItsRaining

Re: Wenchang Wang Good?

Post by ItsRaining » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:51 am

Wen Chang is a Daoist/Folk deity of scholarly pursuits, he's seen in a quite a lot of Buddhist temples as a local god/dharmapala.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 am

ItsRaining wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:51 am
Wen Chang is a Daoist/Folk deity of scholarly pursuits, he's seen in a quite a lot of Buddhist temples as a local god/dharmapala.
Okay, then looks like he's safe. Does he by any chance, have a mantra or dharani, or not?

humble.student

Post by humble.student » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Tenma wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 am
ItsRaining wrote:
Okay, then looks like he's safe. Does he by any chance, have a mantra or dharani, or not?
I have taken a look at a Taoist talisman specifically for Wenchang, and the prayer to be silently recited 3 times is as follows:
"Lord Wenchang, beseeching Wenchang, grant me wisdom.”

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:37 am

humble.student wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:00 pm
Tenma wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 am
ItsRaining wrote:
I have taken a look at a Taoist talisman specifically for Wenchang, and the prayer to be silently recited 3 times is as follows:
"Lord Wenchang, beseeching Wenchang, grant me wisdom.”
Thanks! And the Hindu Saraswati?

Soma999

Post by Soma999 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:28 pm

I am not sure they are the same.

But if you are in a tradition, why don't you follow it if everything necessary is present ?

It's good to build bridges and understand other's tradition... but first, one should be quiet well established inside a tradition.

Otherwise, there is a risk of mixing up everything - buddhism, hinduism, paganism, this and that, what i find on the internet, new age, ufo... - without understanding there commpn essence, and that's not a good step. You have to build on solid ground. Otherwise your construction will be very fragile, and when the wind will come and hit your house, it will be destroyed.

Anchor yourself on stable ground. That's my advice. Then you can create bridges, and let your view grow with the wisdom of many traditions.

Motova

Post by Motova » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 pm

Wasn't Saraswati Buddhist before hindu?
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Soma999

Post by Soma999 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:30 pm

The principle incarnated by Saraswati does not belong to any tradition.

Deity in what they represent are never borned, they are out of time. Only a manifestation appears depending on factors like culture, time and so on.

But for your information, in case you didn't know, hinduism in far anterior as buddhism. Gautama was an hindu, and he practiced intensive sadhana in India. That does not means it's better or worse. It's just a fact.

Of course, some say there were buddhas millions years ago... sure, that depends what you call a buddha. A Buddha in a place become a rishi in another place and a prophet elsewhere.

Then, and more especially when Buddhism came to Tibet, there was many changes in the form and the expression of the essence. One of those change is the demonisation of everything that came from hinduism, which is a kind of dualism, as hindu dharma is the roots of buddhism. Where do come fire ritual, Agni, puja, mantras, asanas, philosophy... ?

There is criticism about hindu philosophy, but if one really learn true and traditional hindu dharma, they will see the difference is more related to the form than to the essence.

Buddhism was born out of hinduism, the same as christianity is born out of judaism.

Still, the essence stay the same.

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:32 am

Soma999 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Buddhism was born out of hinduism, the same as christianity is born out of judaism.

Still, the essence stay the same.
None of these is true. There was no 'Hinduism' until hundreds of years after the Buddha, I don't know how you can claim that it is far-anterior.