"Believe nothing unless..." quote

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
SunWuKong

Re: "Believe nothing unless..." quote

Post by SunWuKong » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:35 pm

theres a book of quotes by jack kornfield, which are often attributed to the Buddha. Maybe a Kornfield scholar knows where the quote originates?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 pm

I did a little poking around and I found a statement in a lecture by Henry S. Olcott, presented and published in 1880, which I think is more than likely the original source for what eventually became this "quote":

Buddha said that we should believe nothing upon authority, not even his own, but believe because our reason told us the assertion was true.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:45 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 pm
I did a little poking around and I found a statement in a lecture by Henry S. Olcott, presented and published in 1880, which I think is more than likely the original source for what eventually became this "quote":

Buddha said that we should believe nothing upon authority, not even his own, but believe because our reason told us the assertion was true.
The similarity of wording does point in that direction.
But I had to laugh at the ironies to be found in his assertion, near the end of the lecture, that, "We have even manufactured a religion to suit ourselves out of Asiatic materials, and think it better than any religion that was ever heard of before."

:tongue:
Kim

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Thank you very much dzogchungpa!
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:45 am
But I had to laugh at the ironies to be found in his assertion, near the end of the lecture, that, "We have even manufactured a religion to suit ourselves out of Asiatic materials, and think it better than any religion that was ever heard of before."
Amusing indeed!
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:52 am

weitsicht wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm
Thank you very much dzogchungpa!
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:45 am
Amusing indeed!
in this post are named some examples of those who have manufactured a new religion to suit themselves out of Asiatic materials in translation, and who seem to think it is better than any religion that has ever been:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27114&start=240#p419911

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”