Would I be correct in thinking that the enlightened knowledge gained by Buddha-hood

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tuongtndg

Would I be correct in thinking that the enlightened knowledge gained by Buddha-hood

Post by tuongtndg »

I read before that The Buddha explored multiple world systems. I think the familiar "grains of sand in the Ganges" analogy was used to describe the sheer amount of world systems !

Contrarily to this "multi-verse" which the Buddha has no doubt explored Buddhist cosmology supports a classical layered approach. Realms of existence that span from hell to heaven.

With this discrepancy in mind; Would I be correct in thinking that the enlightened knowledge gained by Buddha-hood is that each sentient being creates their own reality (world system) and there "exists" (at least) as many world systems as their are sentient life forms (i.e humans) ?

Further the (philosophical) end result of combing these two approaches (layered realm & multiverse) results in an outlook as follows; life is a wholly personal experience (you create your own reality) with the possibility of a stepping-up/ stepping-down within the layered structure (possibly within ones own lifetime) ?
Vasana

Re: Would I be correct in thinking that the enlightened knowledge gained by Buddha-hood

Post by Vasana »

Each being experiences their own karmically driven and individual interpretation of the container universe/world system and loka we collectively share. Beings don't create their own world systems or realms in some kind of solipsism, world systems and enviriomemts are intricately connected with the karma of the beings in those enviromemts.

You could say there are as many karmic interpretations of the container universe as there are beings but this doesn't then make a new world system for each beings' interpretation or karmic vision. Even with that in mind there are still said to be countless world systems.

'Wholy personal' would be solipsism. Samsara is both a personal and collective experience. An example often given is that a god might see a flowing stream as nectar whereas a hungry ghost may see that same stream as puss or blood. Same stream/ container world but different karmic vision. When all of the seeds of the 6 realms are purified in one's own midstream , then you're a Buddha or on the way to becoming one and you're not propelled in to any of these realms involuntarily. Beings have no control to 'create their own universe' in this sense since no being would intentionally create suffering for themselves. Our karmic afflictions 'create' our distorted vision of reality.

There are more accounts of Buddhist cosmology else where. Sesrching for Container universe and collective karma may help here.
Geasulti

Re: Would I be correct in thinking that the enlightened knowledge gained by Buddha-hood

Post by Geasulti »

How can we invite people to comment on this issue?
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Appears to be so. Each thought has no form shape or size yet it reflects appearance.
It’s eye blinking.
muni

Post by muni »

LastLegend wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:09 am Appears to be so. Each thought has no form shape or size yet it reflects appearance.
Wonderful!
Then craving-grasping becomes bit more clear when these appearances are perceived as real ( seen as being there apart of thoughts on their own) and get by our own habitual karmic baggage, their characteristics, while such are not at all! Then created apprehensions, concepts create by habits real things, it looks magic!

Just like in a dream as a reflecting mind.

It are karmic thoughts who are creating and supporting our world and as well by collective karma these particular world-views are experienced and assured to be so. Looks like from this jumps agreements and in opposing views; rejections.
Last edited by muni on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

'It are karmic thoughts'...

What are karmic thoughts exactly? How do they differ from simple thoughts?

And what is 'collective karma' ? Do you mean consensual reality?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

tuongtndg wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:22 am I read before that The Buddha explored multiple world systems. I think the familiar "grains of sand in the Ganges" analogy was used to describe the sheer amount of world systems !

Contrarily to this "multi-verse" which the Buddha has no doubt explored Buddhist cosmology supports a classical layered approach. Realms of existence that span from hell to heaven.

With this discrepancy in mind; Would I be correct in thinking that the enlightened knowledge gained by Buddha-hood is that each sentient being creates their own reality (world system) and there "exists" (at least) as many world systems as their are sentient life forms (i.e humans) ?

Further the (philosophical) end result of combing these two approaches (layered realm & multiverse) results in an outlook as follows; life is a wholly personal experience (you create your own reality) with the possibility of a stepping-up/ stepping-down within the layered structure (possibly within ones own lifetime) ?
I'm tempted to think that this is what ChNN calls "karmic vision".

We all humans share more or less the same predominant emotions. But i really don't see that we can aprehend reality through intelect discourses :)
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”