Self-referential aspects of Lotus Sutra

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DGA
Former staff member

Self-referential aspects of Lotus Sutra

Post by DGA » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 pm

An interesting point was raised in a separate thread, and I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=27200&p=421095#p421004

What do you make of the self-referential moments in the Lotus Sutra? How do you understand those?

This certainly isn't the only sutra I know of that includes self-referential discourse, but it is the only one I know of that does so in the context of an elaborated narrative.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Self-referential aspects of Lotus Sutra

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:09 am

Can't speak in general, but in East Asian Lotus tradition, True Mahayana (as opposed to Provisional Mahayana) is all considered the Lotus. My basis in saying this is that I've found that Mahaparinirvana Sutra will be quoted as referring to or elaborating the Lotus when the text literally refers to Mahayana.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

Malcolm

Re: Self-referential aspects of Lotus Sutra

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 am

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:09 am
Can't speak in general, but in East Asian Lotus tradition, True Mahayana (as opposed to Provisional Mahayana) is all considered the Lotus. My basis in saying this is that I've found that Mahaparinirvana Sutra will be quoted as referring to or elaborating the Lotus when the text literally refers to Mahayana.
The Nirvana Sūtra refers to the Lotus exactly once.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”