Mala Etiquette

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jet.urgyen

Re: Mala Etiquette

Post by jet.urgyen »

If really Gurú Padmasambhava gave directions on mala characteristics, then it is important.

Is the posted info reliable?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm If really Gurú Padmasambhava gave directions on mala characteristics, then it is important

Before answering that we would have to clarify the historicity of Padmasambhava.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:11 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm If really Gurú Padmasambhava gave directions on mala characteristics, then it is important

Before answering that we would have to clarify the historicity of Padmasambhava.
Irrelevant! :thinking:
What about the authenticity of Mahayana Sutras or the historicity of Shakyamuni? Can we apply the same logic here in order to debase overall Mahayana? Slandering Dzogchen and Vajrayana won't be of any help or relevance here!
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 pm

What about the authenticity of Mahayana Sutras or the historicity of Shakyamuni? Can we apply the same logic here in order to debase overall Mahayana? Slandering Dzogchen and Vajrayana won't be of any help or relevance here!
just want to know where to find it's source, for further study. I would love to make perfect ritual instruments one day. 🙏
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm If really Gurú Padmasambhava gave directions on mala characteristics, then it is important.

The info I posted came from Gyatrul Rinpoche ( "The Generation Stage in Buddhist Tantra'') but I'm afraid I don't know the exact source the Lama was quoting.
Malcolm alluded to the Tantras containing some guidance, in another thread. Could you give us any links to sources please, Malcolm, about choosing and using a mala?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 pm
Nyedrag Yeshe wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 pm

just want to know where to find it's source, for further study. I would love to make perfect ritual instruments one day. 🙏
Sorry Javier, this was intended for Simon, not you! But shouldn't you ask your teacher(s) before doing this? If you are following the thread, you can sense that improper ritual objects may create problems in your practice! I wish you all success by the way!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm If really Gurú Padmasambhava gave directions on mala characteristics, then it is important.

The info I posted came from Gyatrul Rinpoche ( "The Generation Stage in Buddhist Tantra'') but I'm afraid I don't know the exact source the Lama was quoting.
Malcolm alluded to the Tantras containing some guidance, in another thread. Could you give us any links to sources please, Malcolm, about choosing and using a mala?
The tantras say a bodhiseed māla is the best.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Can you please point out which Tantra Gyatrul Rinpoche is quoting here?
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Yes, I quoted you as having said that but wondered which tantras were your source.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”