Mala Etiquette

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
weitsicht

Mala Etiquette

Post by weitsicht »

Hi,

I am not sure how much is essential to practise correctly and how much is fanciness. Also I am lacking in-depth knowledge. (And I am curious) So I wanted to share the following questions with you on the Malas
  • how essential is the Mala's material?
  • one Mala, one Mantra or different kinds of Mantras applied to the same Mala?
  • Go over the Guru Pearl or turn the Mala around?
  • Which finger to turn the bead with? How turn the bead? Left or right Hand? Let the Mala hang or hold with the other Hand?
  • How much to Keep the Mala with reverence? Not wear them around neck or wrist?
  • Broken Malas: Fix? Keep? Bury? ...
What is your experience? Which Mala do you have? And how many?

Best, W
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: Mala Etiquette

Post by Mantrik »

If you check out the 'Search' box at the top right,you will find loads of info about this in various threads.

There is this:

Gyatrul Rinpoche in "The Generation Stage in Buddhist Tantra (with thanks to Dorje):

Padmasambhava, says: "The best type of mala to use to increase the number of recitations is a mala made from some type of precious jewel (Tib. Tin O che). A mediocre type of mala is made from the seed of a tree or fruit, and inferior type of mala is made from wood, earth, stone or medicine."

A mala made from seashells, earth, wood or seeds from trees or fruit is meant to be used to accomplish peaceful sadhanas and peaceful action. A mala made from gold will accomplish expan­sive karmas. A red coral mala is best for accomplishing powerful sadhanas. A steel or turquoise mala is good for wrathful activity. A mala made from dzi or other precious stones can be used to accom­plish any of the karmic activities you are doing.

A mala made from apricot stones will accomplish expansive ac­tivity. A mala made from "lot ton" (a tiny, round black seed within a fruit) accomplishes powerful activity A mala made from raksha beads accomplishes wrathful practices. A mala made from bodhi seeds accomplishes all dharmas. Malas of bodhi tree wood accom­plish peaceful karmas. A mala of mulberry beads accomplishes powerful karmas. Malas of mahogany wood accomplish wrathful practices. Malas made of ivory, especially from an elephant's tusk, will accomplish all concerned activity.

Beads made of stone are good for expansive practice. Beads made of medicine are good for wrathful practice. Malas with many different types of jewels are good for any practice. However, I sug­gest that you not attempt to create a mala with a lot of different beads on it because, unless you know which combinations are ef­fective, you may cause a non-positive result.

Next, the text mentions the different kinds of benefits that are derived from using different types of malas. An iron or steel mala multiplies the virtue that is accumulated with each recitation in a general way. A copper mala multiplies each recitation four times. A raksha mala multiplies each recita­tion by 20 million, and a pearl mala by 100 million. A silver mala multiplies by 100,000 and a ruby mala by 100 million. A bodhi seed mala manifests limitless benefits for any form of practice, be it peaceful, expansive, powerful or wrathful.

You should all know the mala's meaning and the best way to string it. String your mala using three, five or nine strings, and no other number. Three strings symbolize the three kayas, five strings symbolize the five buddhas, and the nine strings symbolize the nine vehicles.

The main guru bead may be composed of three beads, symbol­izing the three vajra states of being, the three kayas. The smallest bead on the outside should be blue, perhaps made of lapis. The color blue symbolizes the unchanging mind of ultimate truth. The bead in the middle should be red, to symbolize vajra speech, and the innermost bead should be white, to symbolize the vajra body.

Your mala must be blessed by a lama, and you should constantly bless your mala yourself by imbuing it with energy. You must put energy into your mala before counting recitations with it, to pro­duce real benefit.

You should clean your mouth and hand, and then your mala, before using it. You may also scent it with sandalwood oil.

Next, generate yourself as the deity, place the mala in your left hand and arrange the beads with the guru bead placed vertically in the center. Recite the mantra that transforms all dharmas into the awareness of their true nature: OM SWABAVA SHUDDO SARVA DHARMA SWABAVA SHUDDO HAM. This mantra cleanses and transforms impure perceptions into the awareness of emptiness.

From emptiness, the guru bead appears as the central deity in the mandala, and the other beads appear as the members of the entourage. This part of the practice is the meditation upon the samayasattva. Next, invoke the jnanasattva. Invite the primordial wisdom beings to come forth, hooking them so that they dissolve into the samayasattva, just as you would in a sadhana. Invite the wisdom beings to come from their pure lands into the space in front of you. They then dissolve into your mala and remain firm there. Thus, every part of your mala is the entire mandala. This includes the central deity, entourage, lotus seats, ornaments, hand emblems, colors, etc. Blessing your mala in this way multiplies each syllable of whatever mantra you then recite 100,000 times, besides causing good karmic results. Therefore, it is extremely important to do this.

Your mala represents not only the form of the deity but the speech of the deity as well. For example, if you recite the One-Hundred­Syllable mantra, the guru bead represents the syllable OM and the other beads represent the remaining syllables.

Guru Padmasambhava said, "Whenever you recite peaceful mantras, use the tip of your thumb to count the mala. When recit­ing expansive mantras, use the third finger. Use the ring finger and thumb when reciting powerful mantras, and use the little fin­ger when reciting wrathful mantras." Use only your left hand to count mantras. The right hand is but rarely used; for instance, in some wrathful practices. Some books teach the use of both hands, but do not use the right hand only.

Whatever kind of practice you are doing, whether peaceful, wrathful, powerful or expansive, always be aware that the thumb is a vajra hook which hooks spiritual powers, deities and other blessings. It is also easy to move the beads with your thumb.

And this:

http://www.khandro.net/practice_mala.htm
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 pm
And this:

This text mentions that the Guru bead should be of the three Colors White, blue and red. Don't see any such Guru beads on offer nowadays.
Guru Padmasambhava said, "Whenever you recite peaceful mantras, use the tip of your thumb to count the mala. When recit­ing expansive mantras, use the third finger. Use the ring finger and thumb when reciting powerful mantras, and use the little fin­ger when reciting wrathful mantras." Use only your left hand to count mantras. The right hand is but rarely used; for instance, in some wrathful practices. Some books teach the use of both hands, but do not use the right hand only.

Whatever kind of practice you are doing, whether peaceful, wrathful, powerful or expansive, always be aware that the thumb is a vajra hook which hooks spiritual powers, deities and other blessings. It is also easy to move the beads with your thumb.
It is favorable using the left Hand. Difficult for me somehow, I am left-handed, have a Preference to do that with my right Hand.
Also wondering: is there a gender difference in which sides apply?

I see some ppl circling around the bead with the thumb before flipping.

To me, counting and Speed are no criteria anyways in this practise.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

There is a traditional view that to simply skip across the Guru bead is tantamount to barging across the teacher in a rude way.
That is why some practitioners reverse the mala and go back the other way rather than crossing the Guru bead. (the larger bead with the tassel).
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

weitsicht wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 am
And this:

This text mentions that the Guru bead should be of the three Colors White, blue and red. Don't see any such Guru beads on offer nowadays.

It is favorable using the left Hand. Difficult for me somehow, I am left-handed, have a Preference to do that with my right Hand.
Also wondering: is there a gender difference in which sides apply?

I see some ppl circling around the bead with the thumb before flipping.

To me, counting and Speed are no criteria anyways in this practise.
The advice I quoted is something to check out if it is helpful and you want to optimise practice. It is pretty much at the bottom of 'things to think about' with mantras, I reckon.
I've asked several lamas about all these things - materials, which hand, which fingers, crossing the guru bead etc. and all said: 'Doesn't matter'.
Your focus should be on the mantra.
Choose a mala that is comfortable to use and strong enough (beads and stringing). Bodhiseed is generally seen as OK for all practices.
Many Indians will not hold a mala in their left hand because it is the hand used to wipe your ass - nothing mystical there.
If you find using one hand less comfortable, use the other. I have a smashed thumb (old injury) and so adapt.
I'd just echo Chogyal Namkhai Norbu: 'Work with circumstances' and focus on the essence of the practice.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am 'Doesn't matter'.
Your focus should be on the mantra.
I like this Approach.
However, Hearing that this material or this Hand goes better with this practise (hence may not be good with the other, I derive) makes me doubt. Briefly.

I am a fan of recycled or used things. A second-hand quartz mala it'll be then for me. Togden Achoe had a beautiful Story last weekend:
A man who saw white Tara in his dream, she having had only six beads of quartz left for him. Six years to live.

Just thought this thread may have been of Lounge-like Exchange of preferences. Old coffee it appears to be though. Still it was worth a try.
Thanks Mantrik.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I think Mantrik has given you a complete and useful answer.

Malas are simply tools..even mantras themselve are skillful means, not absolutes.

But if you want preferences then I use an old bodhi seed mala with a lot of positive associations with its previous owner.
I use my right hand. I do not cross the Guru bead. I dedicate the merit.

All the while realising that these things are of secondary importance at best.

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:14 pm All the while realising that these things are of secondary importance at best.
yes, of course you are right.
But yet. What then is important if everything is of the same taste?

Dedicating the merit is a good idea. Thanks.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

weitsicht wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm ...
But yet. What then is important if everything is of the same taste?
There's a kind of hierachie of importance. Proper motivation and good practice are still more important than the material of the beads.
My teacher uses to make fun of these topics: At first he explains thoroughly which kind of mala is best for which practice - then he starts to cut down his statements to: "But if you do not have such a mala, at the end you can take any kind of mala for this practice." :lol:
Nebetmiw

Post by Nebetmiw »

In the old days Malas were made with what was at hand. They are counting device only so don't get too worried about how and why.
The book on Malas is made for those in the West that must always make things way more complicated than they need to be.
Buy or make one that you like, use how it feels comfortable to you. Yes, you can use just one for one mantra as you should only be doing one mantra anyways.
Remember the Mala is there to help you focus and count your mantra recitations only.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Nebetmiw wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:44 pm In the old days Malas were made with what was at hand. They are counting device only so don't get too worried about how and why.
The book on Malas is made for those in the West that must always make things way more complicated than they need to be.
Buy or make one that you like, use how it feels comfortable to you. Yes, you can use just one for one mantra as you should only be doing one mantra anyways.
Remember the Mala is there to help you focus and count your mantra recitations only.
If this is intended for Vajrayana practice, which seems to be the intention of the OP, then this is not the right attitude!
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

If you think of a mala as a magic talisman, then of course if is important to get the spell right. Who knows what horrible fate awaits you if you get the spell wrong? The more you look for magic surrounding malas, the more details you will hear about what is the "right" way to do it. Keeping all the magic straight is a lot of work. If you find it helps your practice, then by all means work on the details. If you find it is a hindrance, let it go.

If you think of a mala as a tool to count your breaths or mantras, focus your mind, etc., then is is simply a tool. Use it well for that purpose. There is nothing wrong with a pretty tool, as long as it does the job. If crossing the guru bead feels disrespectful to you, then by all means avoid doing that. If you cross the guru bead respectfully, that is fine. Respect will help your meditation, so treat the mala with respect, whatever that means to you.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:28 pm
Nebetmiw wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:44 pm In the old days Malas were made with what was at hand. They are counting device only so don't get too worried about how and why.
If this is intended for Vajrayana practice, which seems to be the intention of the OP, then this is not the right attitude!
There seems to be a contradiction between this response and the second quote in your sig.

Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:57 pm
There seems to be a contradiction between this response and the second quote in your sig.
I fact, there might be, if you misunderstand everything and also take all out of context!? Also if you take everything in absolute terms?
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Everyone who carefully read the above text can see clearly that a mala in Vajrayana is not simply a tool, as it's not just also a "magic" thing, sorcery or whatever you want! This kind of attitude from practitioners is actually one out of many reasons of why Vajrayana is a "secretive" thing, or at least it should be!
Nebetmiw

Post by Nebetmiw »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:28 pm Everyone who carefully read the above text can see clearly that a mala in Vajrayana is not simply a tool, as it's not just also a "magic" thing, sorcery or whatever you want! This kind of attitude from practitioners is actually one out of many reasons of why Vajrayana is a "secretive" thing, or at least it should be!
Well, OP did not mention it was related to Vajrayana for one. We are in the General section here, so do not assume. Also if one is following Vajrayana you should be under a teacher. If so you would not be asking such questions here. In that context our answers are correct. If you are under instructions of a certain school and teacher things we say do not apply as you mentioned they have other meanings.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Nebetmiw wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:41 pm
Nyedrag Yeshe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:28 pm Everyone who carefully read the above text can see clearly that a mala in Vajrayana is not simply a tool, as it's not just also a "magic" thing, sorcery or whatever you want! This kind of attitude from practitioners is actually one out of many reasons of why Vajrayana is a "secretive" thing, or at least it should be!
Well, OP did not mention it was related to Vajrayana for one. We are in the General section here, so do not assume. Also if one is following Vajrayana you should be under a teacher. If so you would not be asking such questions here. In that context our answers are correct. If you are under instructions of a certain school and teacher things we say do not apply as you mentioned they have other meanings.
So, so why don't ask the OP why he/she is concerned about proper "etiquette"?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I think you missed the ironic subtext in the poster's response.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:25 pm
Simon E. wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:57 pm

I fact, there might be, if you misunderstand everything and also take all out of context!? Also if you take everything in absolute terms?
'If you take all out of context' How else are we to take a quotation?
If we take that to it's logical conclusion then all sigs would need be whole paragraphs.
Or even whole chapters.

Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm
I think you missed the ironic subtext in the poster's response.
you missed mine! what's your conclusion? that we must always take every idea to extremes? I advise you to read the text by guru rinpoche again, and also aks maybe why the OP made a question about etiquette?

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”