Prioritizing donations

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Boomerang

Prioritizing donations

Post by Boomerang »

I just had a conversation with a person who was upset by the fact that many donate to spiritual institutions while ignoring the poor and hungry.

There are sutras that say honoring an arhat creates much merit, but honoring a bodhisattva creates more merit. And in the Pali Canon, I think there’s a sutta in which Buddha says giving alms to fish in a pond is good, but giving alms to humans is even better.

Texts like these could make people think that donating to anything besides monks, gurus, and spiritual institutions is a waste of resources. What do you think about this?
Motova

Re: Prioritizing donations

Post by Motova »

Boomerang wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:25 pm I just had a conversation with a person who was upset by the fact that many donate to spiritual institutions while ignoring the poor and hungry.

There are sutras that say honoring an arhat creates much merit, but honoring a bodhisattva creates more merit. And in the Pali Canon, I think there’s a sutta in which Buddha says giving alms to fish in a pond is good, but giving alms to humans is even better.

Texts like these could make people think that donating to anything besides monks, gurus, and spiritual institutions is a waste of resources. What do you think about this?
It is better to be generous to virtuous people because they will spread generosity.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Boomerang wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:25 pm I just had a conversation with a person who was upset by the fact that many donate to spiritual institutions while ignoring the poor and hungry.

The possibility to study/practice Dharma is more important than anything.

Donate to a teacher who teaches Buddhadharma and has perfect conduct

Donate to a practitioner or a begginer to attend a teacher who teaches Buddhdharma and has perfect conduct

To sentient beings, donate to them also! But do not support misdeeds or evil.

Without restriction donate your merits, the causes of your own happines and well being

In any case, to donate without recognize the emptiness of donation, who donates and who receives, is worthless.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

I dont see a difference. Boddhisattvas help others but we also give offerings to the Jewels so we can help others with support from The Dhara. That and giving to monastics help them live so they can spread the Dharna to laity. Motivation to gratitude for all.

I see his point but monastics are people too taking a vow of poverty. We all need food; all experience suffering. Its a balance. Charity without reservatons.
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
:anjali:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Help based on your capacity and inclinations...supporting Dharma is a given, but other stuff is also important if you have the resources and opportunity.

lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-masters/patrul-rinpoche/nine-considerations
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:33 am In any case, to donate without recognize the emptiness of donation, who donates and who receives, is worthless.
That's exaggerated to say it's worthless.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:47 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:33 am In any case, to donate without recognize the emptiness of donation, who donates and who receives, is worthless.
That's exaggerated to say it's worthless.
Might be, but as i get it, to practice dharma while ignoring emptyness is actually pretending to.

Meanwhile, considering it ¿how could be obstacle to generosity -and other practices-?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”