How to hold a Mala ?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
MatthewAngby

How to hold a Mala ?

Post by MatthewAngby » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 am

For peaceful, place the mala on your index finger, For increasing, on your middle finger, and for magnetizing on your ring finger. For wrathful, it is said to count the mantras on your little finger, and to rotate them away from you in reverse.

is taught that for peaceful practices you should use eleven beads, for increasing practices one hundred and eight, for magnetizing practices fifty-four, and for wrathful practices twenty-one.

So can anyone explain to me how do we place the Mala on ur finger? Like do I just make the finger my base ?

Also do I have to let a person reduce the number of Mala beads on Malas for some practices - like peaceful eg.
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda

Didakonut

Re: How to hold a Mala ?

Post by Didakonut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 am

Thank you very much for how to hold Mala. It helped me a lot in training.

Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:52 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 am
So can anyone explain to me how do we place the Mala on ur finger? Like do I just make the finger my base ?

Also do I have to let a person reduce the number of Mala beads on Malas for some practices - like peaceful eg.
Hang the mala off the finger, use a flick of your thumb to rotate.

If you're doing these other practices, it's best to get different malas for different occasions and practices.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:28 am

MatthewAngby wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 am
For peaceful, place the mala on your index finger, For increasing, on your middle finger, and for magnetizing on your ring finger. For wrathful, it is said to count the mantras on your little finger, and to rotate them away from you in reverse.

is taught that for peaceful practices you should use eleven beads, for increasing practices one hundred and eight, for magnetizing practices fifty-four, and for wrathful practices twenty-one.

Didakonut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 am
Thank you very much for how to hold Mala. It helped me a lot in training.
start here

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27114

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”