Playing wrathful deity mantra on yiutube

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
MatthewAngby

Playing wrathful deity mantra on yiutube

Post by MatthewAngby »

adter watching some horror videos ( real ) , i kinda got scared. so i opened a wrathful deity music or mantra cuz i think it will protect the house or like have some protection energies. However, does it harm any sentient beings - unseen beings?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Playing wrathful deity mantra on yiutube

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 am adter watching some horror videos ( real ) , i kinda got scared. so i opened a wrathful deity music or mantra cuz i think it will protect the house or like have some protection energies. However, does it harm any sentient beings - unseen beings?
Wrathful mantra are not meant to be heard when you are reciting them. You should just be able to hear your own recitation. Now what that means in terms of cranking up the volume and engaging the bass booster on your stereo... :shrug:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:29 am
MatthewAngby wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 am adter watching some horror videos ( real ) , i kinda got scared. so i opened a wrathful deity music or mantra cuz i think it will protect the house or like have some protection energies. However, does it harm any sentient beings - unseen beings?
. Now what that means in terms of cranking up the volume and engaging the bass booster on your stereo... :shrug:
Ermmm... I don’t get this statement... can u elaborate more please?
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

I don't think these mantras should have been posted on youtube in the first place. Then again, some of them are recited by qualified teachers, but perhaps they did not record them with the intention of having them uploaded like that.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Aryjna wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:42 pm I don't think these mantras should have been posted on youtube in the first place. Then again, some of them are recited by qualified teachers, but perhaps they did not record them with the intention of having them uploaded like that.
Agreed.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Chanting the mantra of a wrathful deity without any transmission would seem to be at best pointless; playing a recording of it even less relevant.

When scared by worldly things one of the best things to do is to cultivate a practice you can 'switch on' which calms and settles the mind. If it must be a focus on a deity, lots of people seem to use Tara. Other use Vajra Guru mantra etc. It comes back to developing a relationship through transmission and working to develop the usefulness of it.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm Chanting the mantra of a wrathful deity without any transmission would seem to be at best pointless; playing a recording of it even less relevant.

When scared by worldly things one of the best things to do is to cultivate a practice you can 'switch on' which calms and settles the mind. If it must be a focus on a deity, lots of people seem to use Tara. Other use Vajra Guru mantra etc. It comes back to developing a relationship through transmission and working to develop the usefulness of it.
Thank you mantrik. I did it just now using Tara ( a call to calm myself down ). I Guess I should not ever ever see such videos again. I am really freaked out.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Garchen Rinpoche has recommended playing the peaceful Manjushri mantra recording to clear one's space and to play it 24/7 when you are under attack. Headphones help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRI-mGWFTqM

Wrathful Manjushri Yamantaka

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:49 pm
Mantrik wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm Chanting the mantra of a wrathful deity without any transmission would seem to be at best pointless; playing a recording of it even less relevant.

Thank you mantrik. I did it just now using Tara ( a call to calm myself down ). I Guess I should not ever ever see such videos again. I am really freaked out.
I don't think there is reason to be freaked out over videos (I mean over the videos that scared you, not watching videos of mantras that should not be online). Though a lot of horrible stuff can be found online, it is just videos. Of course there is no reason to watch them either in the first place :D
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

It was a real life thing video. I didn’t even know it until I researched it later on. But @lhasa , You mean I could play a yamantaka mantra ?
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Lhasa wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm Garchen Rinpoche has recommended playing the peaceful Manjushri mantra recording to clear one's space and to play it 24/7 when you are under attack. Headphones help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRI-mGWFTqM

Wrathful Manjushri Yamantaka

After he has transmitted the practice, presumably. Or does he mean anyone anytime, regardless?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

I wrote and asked about chanting the mantra when it first was posted online. Garchen R. said there is no harm in listening and chanting it. And if one wanted to go deeper, to receive the empowerment. I had already received the empowerment so it wasn't a problem for me.
Link to live empowerment coming up in February below.
To All of You in Garchen Rinpoche’s Mandala ~

We are beginning to prepare for the upcoming Yamantaka Drubchen, February 7-15. We will be doing this great purification practice in sealed retreat for world peace and to further the safety and well-being of all sentient beings.

We want to let everyone know that it is H.E. Garchen Rinpoche's wish that this rare and profound empowerment be live-streamed. Please check our website on February 6th for the livestream link.
From Garchen Buddhist Institute's facebook page.

https://garchen.net/annual-events/

If you cannot attend the live online empowerment, then Garchen R. says you can receive it through recording, like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_zDO6DBIt8

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”