What are the seven gems?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Karma_Yeshe

What are the seven gems?

Post by Karma_Yeshe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:48 pm

Hello,

I was wondering what the "seven gems of cosmic royalty" (saptra cakravartinam ratnani) are?
I'd really appreaciate if someone could give me some information!

KY

Karma_Yeshe

Re: What are the seven gems?

Post by Karma_Yeshe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:56 pm

THX!

It's been over 14 years since I practised Ngöndro, so I forgot that I already knew it!

Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks to your hint I was able to do a little bit more research and think that the link you posted is not a correct answer to my question. According to "Myriad Worlds" (Book 1 of the "Treasury of Knowledge" by Jamgön Kongtrul") the seven types of jewels are:
- coral
- blue beryl,
- silver
- gold
- crystal
- pink pearl
- emerald.

What you linked are the emblems but not the jewels of an universal monarch.

KY

ratna

Post by ratna » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:29 pm

From the Kāraṇḍa­vyūha:
Those who continually gather and offer flowers and incense to Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Avalokiteśvara will become cakravartin kings who possess the seven jewels. The seven jewels are: the precious wheel, the precious horse, the precious elephant, the precious jewel, the precious wife, the precious householder, and the precious counselor.

Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 pm

ratna wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:29 pm
From the Kāraṇḍa­vyūha:
Those who continually gather and offer flowers and incense to Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Avalokiteśvara will become cakravartin kings who possess the seven jewels. The seven jewels are: the precious wheel, the precious horse, the precious elephant, the precious jewel, the precious wife, the precious householder, and the precious counselor.
Wow, this a different list than the one on ripgawiki and in "Myriad Worlds". So I guess it is more important to go into the meaning.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”