The power of Usnisa Vijaya Dharani

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Jingang

The power of Usnisa Vijaya Dharani

Post by Jingang »

This is a practice I struggled to learn and - to my shame - gave up on because it is both long and the pronunciation of the Sanskrit is difficult. However it struck me today to try it again.

I read the sutra this afternoon and the benefits, especially for a pure land practitioner are many indeed.

https://buddhaweekly.com/sutra-troubled ... alamaties/

I managed about six or seven repetitions of the dharani, which took me around 30 minutes or so. After practicing I feel a deep inner peace that I have never felt before. I'm not normally an emotional type but I have tears welling up in gratitude.

Truly this is a powerful practice and well worth persisting.
moonbun

Re: The power of Usnisa Vijaya Dharani

Post by moonbun »

Great reminder! It really is hard to get the pronunciation right during the first few times.

I went about it slowly before I could recite it properly. The fast paced version was the one that helped guide me after several times of listening to it. I found breaking it down in sections, and feeling the rhythm also helps too. I'm glad I found it again. Thanks.
Palzang Jangchub

Re: The power of Usnisa Vijaya Dharani

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Just found this video of my Dharma sis reciting the Dharani after reading your post. Not sure her recitation is pronounced how you were taught (it definitely has a Tibetan influence), but maybe it will help you?

https://youtu.be/f4KpjvmgsgY

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”